Caribou Gear

No non-resident hunting on Wyoming wilderness unless you have a Guide - when are you all going to fight this?

Freddy Faulk

Even many of us Wyoming residents are sick and tired of the choke hold put on the sportsman buy the Wyo Guide and Outfitters Association. These clowns puppet string our G & F Dept to impose their will on you. All Americans own public lands and this includes Wilderness areas. It's time to say screw you to the Outfitters and take your land back. Are you going to take a stand - or just stand back?

I hate to say it, but I'm not convinced it will change with the NR tags selling the way they do and the point creep(aka demand) continually increasing. A NR boycott of Wyoming tags (loss of revenue) is the only way I see this changing. Forget fighting it politically. The politicians are looking at the same thing we are...tag demand...as long as that is going up, don't see it changing. I don't necessarily like it, but I'll deal with it and keep hunting Wyoming. There are a lot more people on the forum with more knowledge than me on the rule however.

Consider this - it's not necessarily a State issue, it's a national issue. non residents own every bit of say, Cloud Peak Wilderness. yet, you have a small group of Outfitters who've been able to twist the arms of the Wyo G & F to keep "you", the non resident OFF of it (of course, unless you are willing to pay these robber barons big bucks). It's like New Yorkers tellimg me, a Wyomingite, that I can't visit the Statue of Liberty.

A boycott of purchasing licenses is not the answer. the answer is, putting legal pressure to disband the parasite outfitters and slap the G & F in the face. Tell these people to get an honest job and quit railroading their fellow citizens of the USA. Again, are you going to stand up to these thugs or cower away and stand back? The Nat'l Forest Service, "your" NFS should not issue permits to these outfitters. That's a good place to start. Consider this, the Wyo Outfitters Assoc. has made both you (the non resident) and the G&F their "bitch", who then turns around and again makes you a double-bitch. They own you...when are you going to return the favor?

Last edited:
Freddy, that’s a reasonable question. It does seem like a good fight and maybe even a fight that could be won.
For the time being, you are only going to see causes that trash the Trump Administration. It’s much easier to raise money to fight Trump than it is for Wilderness area access that few will use. Like everything else in life, follow the money trail.

Consider this - it's not necessarily a State issue, it's a national issue. non residents own every bit of say, Cloud Peak Wilderness. yet, you have a small group of Outfitters who've been able to twist the arms of the Wyo G & F to keep "you", the non resident OFF of it (of course, unless you are willing to pay these robber barons big bucks). It's like New Yorkers tellimg me, a Wyomingite, that I can't visit the Statue of Liberty.

A boycott of purchasing licenses is not the answer. the answer is, putting legal pressure to disband the parasite outfitters and slap the G & F in the face. Tell these people to get an honest job and quit railroading their fellow citizens of the USA. Again, are you going to stand up to these thugs or cower away and stand back?

Let’s break this down.

First, the WY legislature is the culprit here, not WYGF. Last time I checked, a state agency cannot write and enact law. Only the legislature can do so.

Second, yes, I am part owner in the Cloud Peaks. However, the courts have consistently upheld the right of the states to manage wildlife, and more specifically, to do so primarily for the benefit of its residents. In reality, this is no different than differential license pricing, restricted quotas for NR hunters, limited district opportunity for NR hunters, etc.

Third, since you can hunt all private land per hour other post, why do you care?

What legal pressure do you propose for the parasite outfitters?

How are you going to slap WYGF in the face? And why? Shouldn't you slap the legislature?

Last edited by a moderator:
are you going to stand up to these thugs or cower away and stand back?

You have comprehension issues. The wilderness laws have affected me zilch. I've been successful in Wyoming without wilderness. I'm not cowering from anything. Maybe they've "owned" other people but certainly not me. The laws certainly haven't affected the NR demand for tags as I stated in my post. As JLS stated, supreme court decisions have confirmed the state of Wyomings right to manage wildlife as they see fit. And I'd refrain from using language that I personally find offensive and unnecessary. It makes you look childish. But I digress, go about your business as you see fit.

Very interesting. A few minute ago, an old friend called me. He saw this thread and wanted to inform me that the Wyo outfitters are now going to be allowed to approach hunters and request to see their (your) licenses. I guess you can say they've been "deputized"?!?! For the perpetual "I'll bend over for you" types...I'm sure you think this is a-ok. The rest of us will be telling these clowns to ef off and immediately get out of our face.

Very interesting. A few minute ago, an old friend called me. He saw this thread and wanted to inform me that the Wyo outfitters are now going to be allowed to approach hunters and request to see their (your) licenses. I guess you can say they've been "deputized"?!?! For the perpetual "I'll bend over for you" types...I'm sure you think this is a-ok. The rest of us will be telling these clowns to ef off and immediately get out of our face.

So are you perpetuating a rumor or did you confirm this?

Best thing for you to do is get help for your old friend, Alzheimer's is no joke.

Second, yes, I am part owner in the Cloud Peaks. However, the courts have consistently upheld the right of the states to manage wildlife, and more specifically, to do so primarily for the benefit of its residents. In reality, this is no different than differential license pricing, restricted quotas for NR hunters, limited district opportunity for NR hunters, etc.

Also while I personally hate this rule, WY is not the only state that has regulations that specifies what land ownership type you can hunt in a specific unit. WY takes it a bit further, but for instance CO has tags that are good only within a wilderness area in a unit, or only good on private land, etc. Very much the same idea if you think about it.

Wyoming has chosen to use other avenues then just NR tags to pay for their wildlife management and therefore have given themselves the option to be more miserly with their tags.

Residents stand a much better chance at changing the WY wilderness law than some non resident and that isn't happening so there. Isn't outfitter associations in every politicians pocket out west? At least that is one problem my state doesn't seem to have. Hahaha
I personally believe wildlife on public lands shouldn't be sold to the wealthy and outfitting on these lands shouldn't be legal in any state. If they wanna own or lease private for outfitting and their PRIVATE financial interest great good for them.
None of this will ever happen and I just wasted 5 minutes of my life I'm not getting back also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back