PEAX Equipment

No moss under my wheels

tetravet

I'm glad I finally found a forum that is about public land hunting and various aspects surrounding hunting. Growing up in North Dakota I didn't do much hunting other than to fill a gratis tag. It wasn't until I got older that I started becoming more interested in hunting, but I had to really learn how to on my own. I was paralyzed while in the military nearly 20 years ago and I just knew I was not going to give up on hunting. Well, as I began the journey of becoming a disabled hunter I quickly found out that: 1) hunting clothing is not made for people in wheelchairs, 2) the equipment is extremely expensive, 3) more than likely you will be put in one of the least desirable hunting areas because of accessibility. So begins my hunting adventure which will hopefully take me many years to accomplish. Fortunately, I went to a university that has a highly regarded engineering school with students that were eager to take on the challenge of creating a joystick-controlled crossbow aiming system. While the system had some drawbacks, it laid down the blueprint of what needed to be designed moving forward. I spent the next several years trying to figure out how to make things easier and more manageable. I continued to watch forums and other disability-related posts about hunting and fishing in there just didn't seem to be much progress in terms of technology; and then, a company in Indiana started designing joystick-controlled Rifle/crossbow platforms. The downside to anything that is associated with "disabilities" is the eventual overall cost. After several months of saving, I was able to purchase the product and now it was time to head to the range. Wait, How will I be able to see through the scope? After several spending several weeks and months trying to find a system that would work, I came across a company out of Minnesota that has a pretty good idea.
Everything seems to be falling into place, and hopefully I will be able to hunt on public land that actually has signs of animals. After nearly 20 years, my former platoon sergeant and I are planning to do a public land elk hunt in Idaho. I have a few things yet to work out, but I'm really hoping to get an action track wheelchair for the difficult terrain. I have already started doing some E scouting even though it is still a year and 1/2 away.

If you have any questions on my set up or would like advice on making the outdoors accessible please don't hesitate to reach out to me.
John Trautman
Where there's a will… there is an adventure!

Attachments

• 20190727_143056[15079].jpg
    20190727_143056[15079].jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
Welcome to HT!

Please post your prep and scouting progress for this hunt. There a section called "Live Hunts" where we post day-to-day and ongoing projects.

Lots of Idaho here folks who know the units well.

A former Army buddy of mine is an FF L and was able to find me some really nice Christensen arms firearms. A little over a year ago He found me a 338 Lapua Magnum for an African safari I "accidentally" won. A friend of mine invited me to some property in Minnesota where I can use my 6.5 PRC. I should have plenty of range to reach across any of the valleys in Idaho. Kind of looking in the Panhandle region.

Last edited:
A former Army buddy of mine is an FF L and was able to find me some really nice Christensen arms firearms. A little over a year ago He found me a 338 Lapua Magnum for an African safari I "accidentally" won. A friend of mine invited me to some property in Minnesota where I can use my 6.5 PRC. I should have plenty of range to reach across any of the valleys in Idaho. Kind of looking in the Panhandle region.
You know you have to have a man bun to use a 6.5 right? Just kidding kinda 🤣🤣🤣

I'm glad I finally found a forum that is about public land hunting and various aspects surrounding hunting. Growing up in North Dakota I didn't do much hunting other than to fill a gratis tag. It wasn't until I got older that I started becoming more interested in hunting, but I had to really learn how to on my own. I was paralyzed while in the military nearly 20 years ago and I just knew I was not going to give up on hunting. Well, as I began the journey of becoming a disabled hunter I quickly found out that: 1) hunting clothing is not made for people in wheelchairs, 2) the equipment is extremely expensive, 3) more than likely you will be put in one of the least desirable hunting areas because of accessibility. So begins my hunting adventure which will hopefully take me many years to accomplish. Fortunately, I went to a university that has a highly regarded engineering school with students that were eager to take on the challenge of creating a joystick-controlled crossbow aiming system. While the system had some drawbacks, it laid down the blueprint of what needed to be designed moving forward. I spent the next several years trying to figure out how to make things easier and more manageable. I continued to watch forums and other disability-related posts about hunting and fishing in there just didn't seem to be much progress in terms of technology; and then, a company in Indiana started designing joystick-controlled Rifle/crossbow platforms. The downside to anything that is associated with "disabilities" is the eventual overall cost. After several months of saving, I was able to purchase the product and now it was time to head to the range. Wait, How will I be able to see through the scope? After several spending several weeks and months trying to find a system that would work, I came across a company out of Minnesota that has a pretty good idea.
Everything seems to be falling into place, and hopefully I will be able to hunt on public land that actually has signs of animals. After nearly 20 years, my former platoon sergeant and I are planning to do a public land elk hunt in Idaho. I have a few things yet to work out, but I'm really hoping to get an action track wheelchair for the difficult terrain. I have already started doing some E scouting even though it is still a year and 1/2 away.

If you have any questions on my set up or would like advice on making the outdoors accessible please don't hesitate to reach out to me.
John Trautman
Where there's a will… there is an adventure!
I don't mean any disrespect or sarcasm by this comment:

I'm SO jealous of that setup. Looks like one badass way to head out hunting and harvest an animal!

If you are building preference points for Arizona think Unit 6A. Newberg always says to just get out in the field even if your gear may not be the best. Well, I didn't have four wheel drive, all I had was a mini van. Was able to get to most of the unit. My twin boys would sink into their seats any time we came across real hunting vehicles or other hunters. But, we still filled our tag! We even stayed at an Airbnb in nearby Munds Park. Maybe took me 45 minutes to drive deep into the unit. Still working on the gear but have moved up to a used 2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4, terrific vehicle, especially compared to my minivan.
Unit 6A is some beautiful country, great herds of elk, and much of the unit is easily accessible.
Ever drawn for 6A throw me a line. At least I could show you the unit.
All the best,
Dave

If you are building preference points for Arizona think Unit 6A. Newberg always says to just get out in the field even if your gear may not be the best. Well, I didn't have four wheel drive, all I had was a mini van. Was able to get to most of the unit. My twin boys would sink into their seats any time we came across real hunting vehicles or other hunters. But, we still filled our tag! We even stayed at an Airbnb in nearby Munds Park. Maybe took me 45 minutes to drive deep into the unit. Still working on the gear but have moved up to a used 2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4, terrific vehicle, especially compared to my minivan.
Unit 6A is some beautiful country, great herds of elk, and much of the unit is easily accessible.
Ever drawn for 6A throw me a line. At least I could show you the unit.
All the best,
Dave
I had a minivan for 16 years and then I found the company ATC (all-terrain conversions). They do conversions for pickups and SUVs. They've been around for a while now and are continuously improving the product, but it is solid.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-08-03-10h32m06s428.png
    vlcsnap-2020-08-03-10h32m06s428.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • vlcsnap-2020-08-03-10h31m40s195.png
    vlcsnap-2020-08-03-10h31m40s195.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • vlcsnap-2020-08-03-10h28m15s486.png
    vlcsnap-2020-08-03-10h28m15s486.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
I had a minivan for 16 years and then I found the company ATC (all-terrain conversions). They do conversions for pickups and SUVs. They've been around for a while now and are continuously improving the product, but it is solid.

Been off the forum for a few days. Thankful for my job but sometimes it can be too much of a good thing.
Appreciate that info, can't wait to take a look. Yeah, I take good care of my vehicles, too. 15 - 16 years is the norm.
Hope you get a chance to get out to Idaho. I've never been but sure looks like some beautiful country. Just started building points for Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. So along with Arizona I should be able to hunt elk and deer at least a few times before I get too old.

drew es 6a bow this year, scouted this week, looking for any advice as to where to start. thx

Back