NM?

NM is right behind UT with the tag welfare. The outfitter qouta is a crock.
And I may be wrong but here is what I have seen go on with the Caldera.... They take it over from the Federal Government under the grounds it has to be able to create enough revenue to self support itself. The Caldera starts an Elk tag lottery with no quota or cap on res or nonres applicants. Nonres applicants dominate the lottery and funding and then in turn nonresidents also get more than half the tags (sounds fair to me, it was funded by lottery) Residents whine, and then a NR cap is put on how many tags can be drawn by Nonresidents, but of course NR can still apply for as many tickets they want:rolleyes:
Then NR's get smart and stop buying most of the tickets and now Caldera is in trouble with not making enough money. Am I wrong??:W:

Most folks here I know make a living and lots of it from hunting. It's a way of life here like ranching.

That said,the outfitter pool is a crock,IMHO.
The res/non. res pool #'s are a crock,IMHO.
As for the Caldera,NM doesn't run it.
And no one I know in their right mind would have limited the ticket sales. Elk hunting is the only income brought in besides cattle,which is break even at best.

Now that folks didn't get together and agree for what is best way to run it,it will be run by NPS.
And I'd lay dollars to donuts elk hunting will stop in a few years.
Hope I finally get lucky this year.

Most folks here I know make a living and lots of it from hunting. It's a way of life here like ranching.

That said,the outfitter pool is a crock,IMHO.
The res/non. res pool #'s are a crock,IMHO.
As for the Caldera,NM doesn't run it.
And no one I know in their right mind would have limited the ticket sales. Elk hunting is the only income brought in besides cattle,which is break even at best.

Now that folks didn't get together and agree for what is best way to run it,it will be run by NPS.
And I'd lay dollars to donuts elk hunting will stop in a few years.
Hope I finally get lucky this year.

They may not run it, but they applied the NM state rules to it, on a NPS land. That is the problem..

I'm sitting this year out. Planning on burning CO elk points and applied in MT. If all goes as planned, I'll have plenty to keep me busy this year.

Dang it. For some reason, in my mind, the deadline was 3/21. I wonder how far my odds dropped by not applying this year. Probably not by much.

I sure wish AZ could finish their draw by the time NM and CO deadlines hit. While I'm not above hunting elk in more than one state in one year, it probably is going to be above this year's budget.

I'm in for Elk,Speed Goat, and Barb sheep in NM never hunted the state have applied a few times hope to get lucky in the elk draw really. Odds are low but I do like most of their system such as refunding a hunting license I can't use unlike many other states. I am a fan of the straight up draw system but dislike the outfitter quotas seems they have their hands in every state anymore kinda getting old.

So I hear that the NM Dept. of Game and Fish Director unilaterally decided to issue 3 extra sheep tags, including one Rocky ram tag in the outfitted NR pool. For shame....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back