MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

NM youth hunt went well

schmalts

Garrett did not waste any time and took this buck 15 minutes into the season. We saw a huge group of buck the night before but lost them with a wind and rain storm at last light. We planned on walking in at 5AM the next morning to where we last seen them and set up. There were tons of cows around so we knew the Moo Cow decoy would work well. At first light I spotted a couple lopes around 800 yards away. A little while longer I could see one was a buck and got out the spotter. It was a good one! I had Garrett look it over and he liked it (like any 11 year old would) the stalk was on. With the Moo cow we made it easy to get to around 165 yards. We set up and the buck came a little closer yet and I told Garrett that as soon as he saw no cows were behind the buck to take him. One shot through the heart and the buck was down in less than 50 yards.
We had enough time to do a little trout fishing and he caught his first fly rod fish. Good times...

Attachments

• Griver.JPG
    Griver.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 354
  • tagit.jpg
    tagit.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 354
  • glope.JPG
    glope.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 341
  • flyrod.jpg
    flyrod.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 357
Congrats to both of you! Great pictures on a great looking hunting/fishing trip!

What an outstanding pic of your boy and the lope. Fine looking young man Pat. Congrats to you guys.

Awesome! Congrats to you both on a great buck! What are the measurements on that bad boy?

Awesome! Congrats to you both on a great buck! What are the measurements on that bad boy?

Did not do a full score, just a fast in field spot check. 14.5 on length, 6" bases, 6 1/4 " up further for second mass, 5.5" prongs. Never checked the top masses, head is in the freezer until I get time to steam the horns off and boil the skull. Any guesses on the tops? He seems very symetrical too. I figured by looking at him he was mid to upper 70's before he shot him. He also has a real cool cheater point on both sides that are over 3'4" you can kind of see it on one photo but it is way cool add on.
I took the cape and he will get his first shoulder mount done. The cape was in perfect shape, no scars or bald spots and very nice hair all around.

Last edited:
Back