Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

NM Unit 50 rifle

jbaulch36

Hey all,

I have the second season rifle hunt in GMU 50 (NM). I know the Success odds are low for this unit with only 11 bulls killed last year. I have an idea of what I want to do just looking for any input. I don’t need anyone’s honey holes.

Thanks for any input.

Don’t know the unit but I do know a lot of guys on here likely could have been successful where others weren’t. Don’t put too much stock in harvest stats because they are so situationally dependent. You might have more input by throwing out a general plan and getting some of the local and experienced guys opinions. Good luck and keep us posted.

I was just thinking about posting a similar thread as I have the early archery tag up there and have some questions based on my scouting and e-scouting.

I was up in 50 last weekend and I can tell you it isn't as barren as it looks on satellite images. Pinon Junipers are pretty thick in areas and the sagebrush is about waist high. Was raining off and on and the grass looked pretty good. I can tell you the roads got nasty from the storm that rolled through, so some steady rain/snow might make things really bad. Lots of roads throughout the unit.

Unit 50 sucks, that's why it's easy to draw. Cover alot of ground with optics until you find elk. You might be ok if there is significant snow, but don't hold your breath, it's usually to early.

I was just thinking about posting a similar thread as I have the early archery tag up there and have some questions based on my scouting and e-scouting.

I was up in 50 last weekend and I can tell you it isn't as barren as it looks on satellite images. Pinon Junipers are pretty thick in areas and the sagebrush is about waist high. Was raining off and on and the grass looked pretty good. I can tell you the roads got nasty from the storm that rolled through, so some steady rain/snow might make things really bad. Lots of roads throughout the unit.
Thanks for the information! Good luck on your hunt!

I'll be posting a hunt report after first archery. Not sure how helpful it'll be in second rifle, but look for it. Are you local? I'm only an hour away from the unit and can give you advice on logistical things such as food, gas and campsites, if that helps at all.

I'll be posting a hunt report after first archery. Not sure how helpful it'll be in second rifle, but look for it. Are you local? I'm only an hour away from the unit and can give you advice on logistical things such as food, gas and campsites, if that helps at all.
How did this hunt turn out? My dad had a cow tag this past season and we were in the elk every day. We saw a few decent bulls too. The thick fog made the hunt difficult but it was still a successful hunt.

How did this hunt turn out? My dad had a cow tag this past season and we were in the elk every day. We saw a few decent bulls too. The thick fog made the hunt difficult but it was still a successful hunt.
The hunt turned out not so well. Spent a lot of time moving all over the unit and never saw a thing but piles and piles of old sign. This is plainly their wintering ground and while a few resident elk may hang around, it's a really tough hunt early in the season. Glad it paid off for you but i wouldn't recommend it to any archery hunters, in fact i'm surprised you were into them as early as second rifle. If you can find a hunt in this unit late season, take it, b/c they are definitely there later in the year. ...By the thousands.

The hunt turned out not so well. Spent a lot of time moving all over the unit and never saw a thing but piles and piles of old sign. This is plainly their wintering ground and while a few resident elk may hang around, it's a really tough hunt early in the season. Glad it paid off for you but i wouldn't recommend it to any archery hunters, in fact i'm surprised you were into them as early as second rifle. If you can find a hunt in this unit late season, take it, b/c they are definitely there later in the year. ...By the thousands.
As a non-resident I won't hunt this unit. The price tag for a license is not worth the less than marginal odds. For a resident who can get a late season cow tag this is a money in the bank unit. My dad has had a cow tag several times for this unit and there hasn't been a trip yet without seeing or filling a tag.

Its been a few years since he applied for a bull tag but the last time he had one we got on a decent bull pushing a small herd. Never got a shot but it was still a blast.

I would say the archery seasons there are most definitely more hunters in the unit than elk!

As a non-resident I won't hunt this unit. The price tag for a license is not worth the less than marginal odds.

...I would say the archery seasons there are most definitely more hunters in the unit than elk!

Agreed. This was a third-choice (resident) hunt for me and only a couple hours from the house. At the time i was happy to just a have a tag in my pocket and be able to walk around the woods with my bow in hand. I'd gladly take any tag over none at all; but after the fact i've decided not to put in for that hunt again. It was pretty bad. To be clear, i'm talking early season archery. Later-season hunters may have a different experience entirely. You non-resident archery guys should probably pick another unit b/c it would be better to miss your third choice and not use up your vacation time than to burn it and be disappointed over this one.

Last edited:
Agreed. This was a third-choice (resident) hunt for me and only a couple hours from the house. At the time i was happy to just a have a tag in my pocket and be able to walk around the woods with my bow in hand. I'd gladly take any tag over none at all; but after the fact i've decided not to put in for that hunt again. It was pretty bad. To be clear, i'm talking early season archery. Later-season hunters may have a different experience entirely. You non-resident archery guys should probably pick another unit b/c it would be better to miss your third choice and not use up your vacation time than to burn it and be disappointed over this one.
I live just the other side of the CO border, just outside Antonito. My dad lives in southern NM so unit 50, 51 and 52 are good middle ground areas for us. I apply for NM but not for either of those units, I'll just hunt my side of the border for the same or better odds at a much cheaper rate. If I draw NM it's for a big bull unit but my odds at best are 8% with most being closer to <1%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back