Nice buck found in the river Saturday. . . .

RUT JUNKEY

Found this buck in the river while scouting for ducks and geese. He was in about 4 1/2 ft of water. . .and yes it was cold!!! I had my hip boots not my chest waders(not smart) in the jeep. . .I waded up the river as far as I could to try and get him and was still about 50yds short of getting to him. My best friend yells from the sand bar "What do you think"? I said "I think I'm getting ready to get wet"!! I walked about 10 more steps and then the water poured in. . .as I was trying to breathe. . I spotted the buck and threw my grappling hook and snagged him and back to the dry sand bar we were headed. . .still trying to breathe regular but failing. . .It was as cold as Ive been in quite a while for sure!! Stupid? Yes. Worth it? To me, yes! We looked him over and didn't find any holes or injuries. I did notice some velvet still on his brow tines, so, I'm guessing it was blue tonge that got him earlier in the year. Nice buck. . .hate to see this kind of thing!

Attachments

• Blue tongue buck 2013 036.JPG
    Blue tongue buck 2013 036.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 783
  • Blue tongue buck 2013 039.JPG
    Blue tongue buck 2013 039.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 794
That is a dandy!

I'm guessing that water was cold enough to give you a "George Costanza" moment! :D

Judging from the look of the antlers, he may have died from old age. THat is about the most mature looking deer I've seen in several years.

Looks like every single point has got some good mass. Too bad he keeled over but hey, nice find. There's been a lot of blue tongue cases where I live also. I'm a fan of the whitetails and hate to see it happen.

Did your *marbles* ever thaw out? I have been over the top of my waders a couple of times in my younger years and swear it took a couple of days for the thaw.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back