New Unlimited Bighorn unit in Montana?

I guess I need to get on the distribution lists for every state's F&G to get these alerts. If they only had my email as someone who has applied and hunted in their state. Oh, that is right. They do. No email sent.

No need to get all bunched up in the middle. You said:

IF F&G had sought public input

I was merely pointing out that they did seek public input, and even extended the comment deadline. You implied that they did not take public comments on the issue.

I just get tired of folks using the excuse that agencies never announce meetings, comment periods, management proposals, etc. The fact is, if people want to receive that information, it is out there. I don't know of a state wildlife agency in the west that doesn't offer an email subscription for such information. If people expect to be spoon-fed information, they will probably continue to be disappointed and disengaged. So yes, if you are interested in management issues in MT, you should probably sign up for the email subscription to FWP News.

Been working down there for the last 10 days. Havent seen any sheep, but I have seen around 6-8 rigs a day (all from out of area) looking for sheep. A few smart ones are hiking in, most are driving around in the pickups. Theres a surprising number of out of state people looking for this early.

Been working down there for the last 10 days. Havent seen any sheep, but I have seen around 6-8 rigs a day (all from out of area) looking for sheep. A few smart ones are hiking in, most are driving around in the pickups. Theres a surprising number of out of state people looking for this early.

I've been fishing nearby and would echo the same report...for an area that is really only used during hunting season and by locals for quick camping trips in the summer there is a surprisingly high amount of traffic. That being said I secretly want to get a tag so I can have a chance at a sheep even though the odds are quite low.

I am very seriously considering this hunt, archery and I would happy to take an ewe, if anyone has ANY information I would love to hear it.

I am debating buying a tag and bowhunting for ewe or ram. If anyone knows anything about the sheep in this area please send me an email. I am trying to determine how remote the sheep are - hoping for an archery ewe backpack hunt to avoid crowds.

[email protected]

Go back and read posts #14 and #19. FWP received almost no comments, and the ones they got were mostly supportive. I'm fairly certain more people expressed concern in this thread than to FWP during the comment period.

Post 27 has a link to the actual comments. Only 13 people commented.

i hope someone can update us with how this hunt goes. I'm really interested in hearing about it....thought about buying the tag but no way am i giving up opening day elk for what might turn into a crazy zoo. But good luck to anyone who goes after them!

A friend from CO bought a tag and took the entire archery season off. He is up there now and is posting updates on an archery forum.

I ran into 4 guys from Wahington on Saturday. They spent most of the day watching the same group of nannies and lambs that frequent the main road. They thought they have it figured out but with some 300 permits issued I doubt they'll be alone

314 tags sold....35 sheep...Im sure it will be fun. LOL

I was doing a fishery survey down in Muddy Cr and we were eating lunch watching that nannie/lamb group and one of the people with me asked if I thought someone would shoot one of them opening morning right from the road....I said its not going to be pretty at legal on opener of the rifle

Last edited:
Can't see how shooting a nanny or a lamb, or one of those small rams even, constitutes a sheep hunt. To each his own. mtmuley

Shooting is not hunting to me , to be out there with 300 plus is not what I want to do , and the memories of the hunt are what I
remember I guess each has his own definition of hunting

Can't see how shooting a nanny or a lamb, or one of those small rams even, constitutes a sheep hunt. To each his own. mtmuley

Shooting is not hunting to me , to be out there with 300 plus is not what I want to do , and the memories of the hunt are what I
remember I guess each has his own definition of hunting

This is a population reduction hunt. Regardless of what it is or isn't to those who are participating, there would have been hell to pay if FWP had not allowed hunters to participate in some capacity. Not sure why people feel the need to run down those who chose to participate. And no, shooting a "nanny" would probably not constitute a sheep hunt to anyone.

A friend from CO bought a tag and took the entire archery season off. He is up there now and is posting updates on an archery forum.

Where is he logging it? I would be interested in hearing his version?

Thanks

SD

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back