New rifle, or upgrade the one you own?

Upgrade current rifle or buy a new one in a bigger caliber?

• Total voters
I opted for a bigger caliber. Got a 9.3x62, for no reason other than to have something big and unique. Do what you want.

There’s obviously no “need” for a 300. Some of the thought behind getting one is to do it now before a certain office changes hands, policies changing and pricing going up.

There’s obviously no “need” for a 300. Some of the thought behind getting one is to do it now before a certain office changes hands, policies changing and pricing going up.
If that was the driving factor, you probably should have bought it in May or June.

Reactions: jt4
I didnt vote! I dont buy rifles to primarily own different calibers i buy them to fit a situation. If you hunt in east then maybe that 06 you have is a 22" barrel with a 2x10 scope..or whatever. I would then tell to buy the 300 with a 26" barrel and stronger better optic on it to diverisfy your hunting aresenal. Maybe add a 257wby/243 win if your looking at more west deer and lope hunts. A 06 does more than any typical east coast hunter needs, shooting same bullet faster out of a 300 doesnt matter. I dont know you or your situations hut when in doubt just buy any that interest you and figure it out later what purpose they will serve...lol

I was itching to buy a 300, for no real reason other than just to have one. A lot of you are much too logical and I know the 30-06 does all I need so you saved me some money. At least in the short term. I’m sure there’s something else hunting related I could use that money toward and get more use out of.

My take is a 300 Mag is not needed for 99% of the time hunting.
If you buy Hornady Ammo they have some that come close to 300 Mag performance no game animal will know.
Hornady Shows a 165gr bullet at 2940FPS in a 30-06

I have a nice Remington 700 CDL 30-06 that I've upgraded a little with pillar bedding, a free-floated barrel, a Timney trigger and a 6x Leupold.

It's brought me elk, black bear, mule deer, pronghorn, wolf and grizzly. I'm satisfied. At this point, I wouldn't change a thing. It's an accurate, reliable, good looking rifle. Stock fits me well, no need for anything fancy.

c5CF7V6h.jpg

So - my "other" vote was to keep mine as it is and hunt more. :)

Regards, Guy
You have to wonder what kind of c suite can run a company that can make a rifle like that into the ground.

Depends on what your 30-06 is. Some rifles are not worth putting money into. I would never put money into anything mossberg. A Rem 700, Savageor a Tikka is a great platform for upgrading.

If you reload you could always AI it and use 270/280 brass. Nosler has load data out there for it and dies are available.

As far as a 300 Win Mag goes, you already have 30 cal covered. Get a smaller caliber if you have to have another rifle.

I'm in the same boat so to speak. I have an older Savage 110 in 270 that is stupid accurate. I hate the stock and the action and barrel finish leave a lot to be desired. I just can't justify spending any money on an ugly rifle except it fits me like a glove and shoots like a laser..

So I just let it be and I treat it like an old ugly friend..

I'm in the same boat so to speak. I have an older Savage 110 in 270 that is stupid accurate. I hate the stock and the action and barrel finish leave a lot to be desired. I just can't justify spending any money on an ugly rifle except it fits me like a glove and shoots like a laser..

Why be miserable, a new stock and a cerakote can make it the home coming queen.

Yep. Shoot it and kill stuff. mtmuley

Why be miserable, a new stock and a cerakote can make it the home coming queen.
Who said that I was miserable.. She may be ugly but she's a good friend.. When I point her at something in the field and pull the trigger I'm dragging something home..

I killed my biggest whitetail with that rifle and my biggest mule deer and antelope.. She doesn't need any lipstick to make me happy 😊...

Reactions: Guy
I voted "other." If you are happy with your 30-06 and shoot it well, there is no need to spend more money on a gun to come out west once a year. Spend the money somewhere else.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with adding a new gun to the collection.

I voted "other". I'd not spend much if any money to just change a rifle's cosmetics. Sounds like you are completely happy with the rifle as is and I can't imagine what a 300 Mag would offer you over a 30-06 for the game you mentioned. You didn't mention other gear needs you are considering, so I'd suggest putting the new gun money into a hunt! More than a few could be funded for the price of a new rifle and scope.

Buy another if you can. People complain often "man I wish I didn't sell (fill in blank) firearm " never hear "damn I hate having all these guns"
Don't disagree, but I've heard more lament on trips/hunts they wish they would have done more. YMMV...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back