Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New rifle, or upgrade the one you own?

Upgrade current rifle or buy a new one in a bigger caliber?

• Total voters

jt4

Hypothetically of course, you own a 30-06, happy with the rifle and scope on it now. Do you buy another of the same rifle in 300 win mag OR spend that money on upgrading the stock and barrel on the 30-06?

Also you live in the east and hunt out west once a year if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy
Replace the stock if needed, but think twice about a barrel swap if you’re already happy with it. Barrel swaps aren’t cheap and you don’t always end up with a more accurate rifle.

It is very hard to falt a 30/06.
If you just WANT a new gun I'd get a new gun IF you can find one to buy.
I just read an article about a guy in AK that hunts problem poler bear, he uses a 30/06.
That's gota tell you something.
I picked other, I like my 8mmrem mag. It outperforms the win mag.

SticksM is is spot on.

If your happy with the 06, leave as is or maybe drop in a new stock and trigger. By all means buy a 300 to match it. With that combo, you'd be lacking something smaller so you would want to look at something in the 25/06 class. After that, something more suited to varmints/predators, like a 223 or similar...... See what I did there?

I wouldn't spend money on the 30-06 if it shoots well now. Who knows how it will shoot once you make changes. Excellent caliber for sc whitetails.

Since you are itching to spend money, like me, I would get a new rifle for western hunts. 300 wmag is a good choice, 7mag is another. Have fun.

I never fault anybody for getting a new gun, however, I would consider staying with the 30-06 and upgrading it. New stock, muzzle brake(maybe), new trigger, glass bedding, etc. becomes a new rifle that is fun to shoot and extremely accurate.

I went down the magnum path for a while (338WM and 300 Roy). I realized that the 30-06 would do everything that I needed at the ranges that I was capable of, and with a lot less punishment and cost. I own a few 30-06 rifles and love the cartridge.

If you want something else then go for it. If there is something about your 30-06 that doesn’t suit you then fix/upgrade it. They don’t have to be mutually exclusive, but if cost is an object then I’d start with what I already have.

Who knows. It would be mainly cosmetic anyways. Maybe a little better fit with a new stock?

Mostly whitetails, but mule deer this year, antelope and elk depending on what gets drawn each year.
My 2 cents, if your rifle shoots well I'd move on to the next gear item. That is a great all around cartridge any gains by buying something else will be negligible when hunting.

I think about upgrading my rifle constantly, started a couple of threads about it, but at the end of the day my funds are limited and a new rifle doesn't open up new hunts to me. I bought a pack raft this year instead of a new gun, last year I went on a fly-in hunt in AK, llama rentals... boots, tent, pack, optics, tree saddles, skis, mountain bikes, bows, trip to iceland... etc etc

Everyone's goals are different, I see firearms as tools for some folks their like baseball cards. Whatever floats your boat.

The 6.5 Sherman as well as the PRC have caught my eye as has the RUM... a .300wsm mountain rifle... 7mm-08...

I did switch out the stock on my rifle and have it pillar bedded, made a huge difference in accuracy... I think all in that was $300.

I have a nice Remington 700 CDL 30-06 that I've upgraded a little with pillar bedding, a free-floated barrel, a Timney trigger and a 6x Leupold.

It's brought me elk, black bear, mule deer, pronghorn, wolf and grizzly. I'm satisfied. At this point, I wouldn't change a thing. It's an accurate, reliable, good looking rifle. Stock fits me well, no need for anything fancy.

c5CF7V6h.jpg

So - my "other" vote was to keep mine as it is and hunt more. :)

Regards, Guy

I have a nice Remington 700 CDL 30-06 that I've upgraded a little with pillar bedding, a free-floated barrel, a Timney trigger and a 6x Leupold.

It's brought me elk, black bear, mule deer, pronghorn, wolf and grizzly. I'm satisfied. At this point, I wouldn't change a thing. It's an accurate, reliable, good looking rifle. Stock fits me well, no need for anything fancy.

c5CF7V6h.jpg

Regards, Guy
Probably the best decision you could have made.

c5CF7V6h.jpg

Regards, Guy
That is a beautiful rifle

That is a beautiful rifle

Thanks - it was on the rack at a local gun shop a few years ago and I kept looking at it every trip in for weeks... Finally it went home with me. :)

It's been a really nice rifle - a near perfect match for my 700 CDL in 25-06 rifle. They're real close to a matched pair.

Regards, Guy

I voted "Other" with the thought that if you can afford it do both. If you can't afford it and even if you can like others have said on the 30-06 don't touch the barrel if it shoots lights out for you but replace the trigger and/or stock if it can give you a better fit and pull. Let us know your decision, if you do make one. Great thread!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back