New mineral rush in WY?

Oak

Expert
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Article Published: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=articleBody align=left>Disclosure of opal mine may trigger rush to Wyo.

By Katy Human
Denver Post Staff Writer

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- Database says strPhotoCredit = Wyoming State Geological Society / Dan Hausel --><TABLE class=articleImageBox width=220 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=photoCredit align=right>Wyoming State Geological Society / Dan Hausel</TD></TR><TR><TD class=articleImageCaption>This 34-pound opal was unearthed near Riverton in central Wyoming.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT> <!-- // Hide from older browsers function openEnlarged(url, width, height) { wid = window.open(url, "EnlargedImage", "toolbar=no,status=yes,directories=no,location=no,scrollbars=yes,width="+ width +",height="+ height +",resizable=yes"); wid.focus(); } function showVideo(url, width, height) { wid = window.open(url + '?path=http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/m01opal.jpg', "EnlargedImage", "toolbar=no,status=yes,directories=no,location=no,scrollbars=yes,width="+ width +",height="+ height +",resizable=yes"); wid.focus(); } // --></SCRIPT></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE class=articleThirdColumn cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- cdaFreeFormDetailByName.strSQL = FreeForm_GetTextBySectionIDPaperID @Name = 'ArticleFreeform1', @PaperID = '36', @SectionID = '53', @ArticleID = '2737973', @Filter = 'Article', @LiveFilter = '1', @DateTimeContext = '3/2/2005 9:22:48 AM' --><!-- ArticleFreeform1 not found -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The discovery of a 34-pound opal in central Wyoming could trigger an old-fashioned mineral rush this week. On Friday, the Wyoming State Geological Survey will publicly release the location of an enormous opal deposit found near Riverton in central Wyoming, probably one of the biggest opal formations in the country, said Dan Hausel, a state geologist.

The giant opal is a common type, not particularly valuable itself, experts said. But its discovery raises the possibility that the deposit hosts substantial amounts of fiery orange opal and the precious iridescent variety. Geologists already have seen traces of these more valuable types.

Gem mining is notoriously unpredictable: Valuable veins of precious opal may - or may not - twist unseen through the more common variety of opal found at the new site.

So it's possible no one will express much interest, Hausel said.

<!-- cdaFreeFormDetailByName.strSQL = FreeForm_GetTextBySectionIDPaperID @Name = 'ArticleAd', @PaperID = '36', @SectionID = '53', @ArticleID = '2737973', @Filter = 'Section', @LiveFilter = '1', @DateTimeContext = '3/2/2005 9:22:48 AM' --><!-- ArticleAd BEGIN: -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>But the claimants may line up Friday, high-tailing it from the state geology office to the opal site, throwing down corner stakes and racing to file paperwork with Fremont County.

"The thing that amazes me is that people haven't already staked claims out there," Hausel said. "There's hundreds of thousands or millions of tons of opal in there - fire opal, traces of precious opal. ..."

Opal is thought to form over hundreds to millions of years, after water percolates through silica-rich rock, drawing out minerals. In certain circumstances, the minerals drop back out of the water, forming opal's watery mixture of silica dioxide streaked with minerals.

"Volcanic rocks, that's where the best opal comes from," said Jim Cappa, a geologist with the state of Colorado.

In Colorado, rockhounds have plucked fairly nice opal from Specimen Mountain in Larimer County and elsewhere, he said.

"It's widespread. But when you think of gem-quality opals, those come from Mexico and Australia," Cappa said.

One Wyoming rockhound was skeptical that the new area - about 14 square miles of sagebrush scrub hills - will turn into a productive one for opal miners.

There are three grades of opal, said Melvin Gustin, who lives outside of Riverton and runs a small rock shop and jewelry business with his wife.

Common opal is a fairly unimpressive milky-white rock, he said; fire opal glows orange or red; and precious opal, the most valuable, glimmers with iridescence.

"I've never seen any fire opal here," Gustin said. "Now, that's what the world's seeking. I don't think it's worth claiming myself."

But Hausel has found the fiery variety, and he e-mailed a reporter images of rock with tantalizing streaks of iridescence.

"Well, I won't pooh-pooh this," Gustin said.

In the gem and mineral game, he said, there are always optimists willing to spend the few hundred dollars it takes to survey and stake a claim.

Because the deposit is mostly on federal land, owned by the Bureau of Land Management and the National Forest Service, successful applicants will essentially lease the right to mine, said Pam Stiles, a BLM land-law examiner in Cheyenne.

The laws regarding claim staking have changed little since 1872, she said.

"It's first come, first served," she said. "If people think it's something major, they'll be out there knocking each other over."

It has been decades since such a scramble for mining claims happened in Colorado - in the 1950s, it was for uranium, Cappa said. In Wyoming, Stiles recalled a bentonite rush in the early 1990s, when miners stood at the edge of the site with picks and shovels, waiting for the opening.

The possibility of a rush motivated Hausel to make the opal-location announcement at a scheduled time, to put everyone on the same playing field, he said.

For more information, call the Wyoming State Geological Survey at 307-766-2286.

Good post Oak. :)
Is this something your for?
Not being facetious, but won't this endanger the environment with all of the mining that could possibly take place if this turns out to be some thing of actual importanct?

I think our antiquated mining laws are ridiculous. It's federal land, but anybody can go out and throw up a claim.

Good luck convincing anybody that an opal mine is "some thing of actual importanct." Why? They look pretty?

Oak

Good luck convincing anybody that an opal mine is "some thing of actual importanct." Why? They look pretty?

Oak, not only do they look pretty, but can raise a lot of funds in some pockets.

LOL Bill...
This will give you some thing to do when you are in your off season to help finance your on season... :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back