New Mexico Pronghorn - Good Trip

bmack

Thought I'd share some photos from our trip. The antelope were spooky, sparse and the food/cover was diminished due to the drought but we managed to go 4/4.

Was able to share this experience with my dad, uncle and good buddy. We worked our tail off and had several concerns about everyone having success but in the end it all worked out.

On Sunday morning I was the last one with a tag so the pressure was on. I spotted a solo buck on the move a long ways out on the horizon and we were in pursuit. We lost him once we got over there and did some glassing from a ridge near where he was last seen. 5 minutes in I spotted a good goat on a fence line about a mile out.

He was feeding away from me and this was my chance. It took over an hour to get the distance cut down ensuring I was invisible. Stalk was almost blow when a chopper flying at 200 feet surveying the power-lines appeared on the horizon. The buck trotted off about 50 yards and then settled down after the chopper disappeared.

As I made my final approach the buck was about 500 yards on the left side of the fence and I was on the right when he turned around and started right at me. A few minutes later I got a read on the rangefinder. 223 yards! GO TIME. I slid my bi-pods out and got into a rock solid seated shooting position.

The final mistake was made on his part when he ducked under the fence and started slowing walking perpendicular to the fence line slightly quartering away from me. As soon as he stopped and his head went down for a snack I settled my reticle, took a deep breath and was jolted by the concussion and surprise of my 7mm.

The goat hit the dirt! I looked behind me to see my buddy with a raised arm on the ridge top and my dad and uncle from a few ridges over. My dad was watching this goat in his spotter not knowing this was the one I was stalking. He saw the goat hit the dirt, followed by the delayed "BOOM". Pretty cool.

Needless to say, I was extremely pleased when I walked up to put my hands on this beauty.

Attachments

• NM  BC.jpg
    NM BC.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 574
  • NM bmack.jpg
    NM bmack.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 574
  • NM Brian.jpg
    NM Brian.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 577
  • NM Brian II.jpg
    NM Brian II.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 580
  • NM Brian III.jpg
    NM Brian III.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 576
  • NM Brian IV.jpg
    NM Brian IV.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 571
  • NM BLM & TLM.jpg
    NM BLM & TLM.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 575
  • NM Double.jpg
    NM Double.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 572
  • NM Cody III.jpg
    NM Cody III.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 570
  • NM Cody II.jpg
    NM Cody II.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 570
Nice! Not sure it I like the KUIU Gear or the old school sleeveless camo better. Both appear to have worked well on this trip.

SWEET! Congrats on a great hunt! Nothing better then when everyone enjoys success!

nice goat,,,I too drew a loper tag for new mexico but my hunt doesnt start till oct 1st,,,didnt know there were any earlyer rifle hunts available?mine is a ranch assigned hunt in central n m///where abouts was your hunt area?

nice goat,,,I too drew a loper tag for new mexico but my hunt doesnt start till oct 1st,,,didnt know there were any earlyer rifle hunts available?mine is a ranch assigned hunt in central n m///where abouts was your hunt area?

LO tags run any 3 consecutive days from 8/27 - 9/10. We were hunting outside of Roy, NM.

that seems odd that they would have the leftover hunts sooner than the tag draw hunts??? new mexico has some odd practices compared to other states?

that seems odd that they would have the leftover hunts sooner than the tag draw hunts??? new mexico has some odd practices compared to other states?

These were land owner tags (LO) not leftover tags. Sorry for the confusion.

There were public draw hunters also hunting their assigned ranch along with hunters who had landowner tags.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back