Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Mexico Oryx

Great looking trophies! Like others, I'm curious how long it took you to draw? I'll keep putting in .......... maybe someday they'll pull my name. Congrats to both of you!

Nice trophy. 38 inch bull is great!

Hunted three hunts, best is a 39 inch cow. Cow usually have 3 or 4 inches more than bull. Have shot a couple of bulls. a 28 incher and a broken horn , monster 13 inch base, big body.

Question. Previous poster stated liked the shot placement. Perfect for North Americn animals. African animal is forward. Did the oryx go down or get up!

Shot three and they always went down and got up!!

Well done! Man, I love chasing those critters around the desert, but not as much as I like eating them. 38" is a great animal, so very well done on tying a big one down. I'm certain you guys had a blast on top of the kill success. That is some pretty cool country...

To answer a couple questions.

I hunted on the Rhodes Canyon portion of the range. I've been applying for the tag for about 7-8 years.

"They" say the shot placement should be more forward, but in my test sample of 1, I shot it just like anything else. The bullet was lodged under the hide in the center of the off shoulder, thats the entrance side in the photo.

I'd say they're about as tough as elk, and about the size of a cow elk as well.

So I have to ask, when you saw the first one did you get that "wow am I really seeing this" kind of feeling? I did, they are such a strange animal to see in person.
You guys did good, I knew you would since you know what needed to be done.

Awesome. How do those things taste? Just curious.

I rate them above elk. Some parts were a little tougher, like the backstraps but the flavor of the ones me and a buddy took were better than anything in the deer family IMO.
And I will add that those things are not stupid, they act like a cross between an elk and lope and as Buzz said when your busted they do not hang around to see what you are going to do.

Last edited:
Very nice Buzz...the only thing I enjoy more than looking at the animals you harvest is reading your posts as you dismantle those who cross your opinions. That was a compliment!

Those things are cool. And, have to say you are pretty amazing, just last week you were organzing folks in WY to talk tech and hunting. This week you and a buddy harvest trophy Oryx.
You the man Buzz! Congrats again.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back