New Mexico Oryx

BuzzH

Just wrapped up a New Mexico oryx hunt with my good friend Monty.

We drew the once-in-a-lifetime tags about a year ago and had the hunt planned out as well as we could.

I got some great help from Schmalts, who had the same tag several years ago. The information he provided was spot on and without the help, this hunt would not have went as well as it did.

The first day, after the orientation, vehicle check, Monty and I headed out to check a couple places. The first place we looked we found 4 broken horn oryx. Some of the hunters had tags that were good just for broken horns. We ran into an older hunter that had a broken horn tag, and we pointed out 2 of the bigger broken horn oryx we found. He promptly made a 400 yard stalk, and shot the better of the 2.

That evening we found several more and Monty made a great shot at 417 yards with his 257 weatherby mag...oryx down!

Monty's oryx.

IMG_1515.JPG

The second day of the hunt, we found a bunch more oryx including a herd of 11 with several good ones. I stalked to 150 yards and couldnt sort out the one I wanted as they were spread out all over the hillside. They finally busted me and all took off...I really blew that chance. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.

We got out there today as soon as the gate opened and went to the area we'd seen the 11 yesterday. Right off, we found 2, and with only one day left, I wasnt going to be too picky. I picked the bigger of the 2 and shot it at 150 yards with my 7mm Rem. Mag. Turned out being a real nice oryx, 38 and 38.5 on the horns, which is a pretty good one according to the biologist that checked us out.

My oryx:

IMG_1522_1_.JPG

All in all, this hunt went as well as can be expected in a short 2 and a half day hunt. It would be great if a person could spend 4-5 days out there really looking around. Had a great hunt and a great time, couldnt have scripted it any better.

Congrats on culminating a unique opportunity. Those things epitomize exotic IMO. Curious to get your take on the taste.

Congrats to you and Monty!

Pretty nice to share the hunt and rewards with a good friend.

How long have you both been putting in? I'm with NHY too, how was the taste?

Well done guys. Fun hunt by the looks of it.

Interesting to see the different facial markings with that vertical black line not on the forehead of your Oryx buzz. Can't say ive seen too many variances with the colouring on them.

Back