Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Mexico - Cody's first elk hunt

Best of luck fellas. Crappy deal w/ the tripod. Maybe you will get lucky on both accounts.

Well, nothing to cap off a fun day of spotting bulls than to return to the truck and find you have a flat tire. A big sheetrock screw in the inner sidewall on the back. How the hell did that happen?

The evening was great. First we spotted a really nice 6X6 that is know is over 300 and maybe closer to 320. He sure has tine length, just not sure about mass and width. The good news is that Cody liked the look of him and that is all that matters.

We only have two criteria for this hunt: 1) Have fun - so far, maxing out the needle on that one. 2) Any bull Cody likes the look of is a trophy and we will do all we can to put a tag on him. Scores be damned.

After looking over that bull, we realized we could not close the deal in the half hour of remaining filming light. So we watched as he fed across the bench closer to the trailhead.

Knowing we still had about a half hour of hunting light after the expiration of filming light, I crossed the ridge to see if the big bull and his gals had emerged from the timber down on private. Sure did. They were standing waste deep in the cattle pond, slurping it up as fast as they could.

I whistled Cody over and told him to look in the spotting scope. He was all smiles when he saw that one. They were about a half mile into the private. We watched until dark as they headed east, toward the public and if they keep the same course, would come into the same basin where we saw them this morning. We know were we will be sitting when the sun comes up tomorrow.

This is an exceptional bull. Far bigger than anything I have ever killed. I told Cody to not get his hopes up, as big bulls like this get big for a reason. And, they are in a canyon that is so difficult to cross without being seen or heard. That canyon is going to make it a grunt if we luck out and this bull does cooperate.

Cody said he will shoot the first of those two bulls, without hesitation. He has never elk hunted, so for him, just seeing this many bulls has been a blast. To see cool country far different than his home grounds of northern Minnesota and see different animals, such as mule deer, elk, and antelope, seem to be enough to keep him enthused.

Gonna hit the rack. Lots of miles today, and just when I wanted to rest, it was time to change a tire. Hope we can get that little streak of luck going tomorrow. If so, Cody and I will be all smiles.

Oh, the tripod story.

I met NMtaxi at a gas station, where I would pick up my bull from a few weeks ago. He did a euro for me, as I knew I wouldn't have time. Thanks Dan.

Anyhow, I decide it would be a good time to de-junk the rig and get it organized for when I meet Cody and Loren. I take out most the stuff and start re-packing and putting it in my truck. All the while, some black and white cat is whining and trying to get in my truck.

I put the tripod on the ground by the back passenger door. The cat tries to jump in the truck, so close the door. I grab the final pieces and put them in the topper and in the back on the driver's side. Then I decide to put one more thing in the topper shell. As I do that, the cat jumps in the back of the truck behind the driver's seat. I grab him and give him a good toss, and he responds by taking a few lines of skin off my right forearm.

Pissed, I close the truck doors, jump in, and head down the road. All the while, the tripod is sitting just out side the rear passenger door. I am completely oblivious, but continuing to cuss the cat and hope I don't have one of my allergic cat reactions.

I meet Cody and Loren and Loren says to get out the tripod and set up the cameras for the meet and greet. I look for the tripod and can't find it. I instantly realized I drove off without it.

I call the gas station - No luck. We jump in the truck and back track the 35 miles to the gas station to look for it. Nope, no tripod. We searched everywhere. Finally exhausting all options, we leave a note at the gas station, offering a reward if anyone returns it.

If someone planned to return it and not take it, I suspect they would have brought it in to the station. In the two hours since I left, it was gone, probably never to be seen again. Stupid me. Frigging cats are no fair game when I am driving. Have always had a bad spot for cats, and it just got a lot worse.

These tripods are customized for the cameras we shoot. They have huge floating heads with level balances and adapter plates. Unless you shoot this kind of camera with that same adapter, the tripod is of little value. I suspect I can buy it back on Ebay, or at a pawn shop in western New Mexico.

So, that is the tripod story. Nothing a bunch of Ben Franklins can't solve, but I am most disappointed at how difficult it makes Loren's job in shooting what is going to be a great episode.

More tomorrow, hopefully with pics.

I knew that dang cat was going to be trouble. He definately wanted you to adopt him. Bummer about the tripod.

Hope Cody nails one:hump:... you sure have had some bad luck with Mechanical devises lately... trailer axle/ tripod/tire..... best check your tranny fluid/oil if you get a chance.:)

Well, the saga continues. Walked in well before daylight and sat ourselves down on the best glassing knob.

As soon as the light came up, Loren spotted a raghorn coming in behind us at 200 yards. Cody elected to pass, but the footage was fantastic.

Shortly thereafter, a very nice bull came pushing his cows down the Canyon in front of us. We watched as they disappeared, most likely going to bed for the day.

Some bugles were coming from the canyon to our north. I noticed four cows step out of the finger of that canyon, about 280 yards to our north. The bugling continued sporadically as the cows kept an eye on the ridges above and behind us. We wondered who was making the noise.

Before we could finf out, the cows turned and headed back into the canyon, and in flight mode. I looked at Cody and Loren in disbelief. Ou wind was perfect and the trees had us well hidden.

The herd emerged from the canyon 600 yards across from us. Cow after cow lined out, but no bull. Finally, Big Hank meandered up the rocks, shouting at his cows to wait up. We watched as they moved quickly for two miles, north and upslope.

We have now been hiking for over 3 hours in an attempt to find them again. We foind them. About a mile into the private. The GPS says we a 3 miles from the truck, as the crow flies. Part of me hopes they stay on private this morning and they loop south, much closer to the trailhead, before coming back onnto public. It would be the better part of a two day pack to get one out of this area.

We did see what spooked the elk. A truck and horse trailer pulled into the traikhead and set up a corral for their ponies. Looks like we have some competition for these bulls and they have a better transport system than we do.

Cody needs some good luck. We have been so close, but as hunting goes, things just have not come together for him. Three and a half days remain. If he keeps at it as hard as he has been going so far, his chance will come.

Next update to come tonight.

Good luck Cody and Bigfin. I am sure you guys will run into a good bull soon.

Flying into ABQ thursday nite and will be heading your way early Saturday morning to film my brothers hunt.

What an evening. Seems like the afternoon was worth the effort of staying out in the canyonlands all day.

It started something like this. We were hidden in one of the few big pinions escaping the hot sun, when a grasshopper the size of a mouse landed on my face. Scared the hell out of me. I came flying out from under the tree like I was on fire. Finally realized I was being courted by a swarm of the biggest grasshoppers on the planet. Had to take some pics, just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Wish the connection was strong enough to let me upload them.

Anyhow, once I realized I was not being carried away by UFOs, I left Cody and Loren to catch a few more winks. I walked around the ridge and saw a small bull bedded under one of the other few trees. Where he came from, I don't know, but it was encouraging. Cody looked at him in the spotter and decided to pass, which I was very relieved to hear, being we were over 4 tough miles from the truck.

Since it would take a while to get to our evening glassing location, we decided to move out around 4:30. It was still plenty hot, but we saw 6 cows moving around, in addition to the spike, so we figured things might get going early.

We needed to head northeast to check out the water tank on the private below. Just seemed like too likely of a place for elk to be using. On our way there, we had to cross a big canyon and it was much easier to loop around the head of the canyon than go up and down. The canyon ran east to west, and was well shaded on the south side.

As we started across the head, I noticed a group of cows and a small bull beneath. Then we saw a very large bull in the brush. I mean really large. This required further investigation, even though it took us further from the truck and we would lose a few hundred feet of hard-earned elevation in the five hundred yards to investigate.

When we got there, it was very cool. The bull was bigger than I had originally thought. But, his left beam was busted at the base. WTH? It was worth it to climb down just for that experience.

The bull and his cows did not know we were there. They were less than 150 yards away, feeding as if nothing was of concern. We then heard some bugles just below us. A little further west was two bulls and another group of cows.

Cody was mesmerized by the big bull. Super long beams, massive points, and great mass. And, a dark black color to the antler made it a bull to behold. I told Cody if he shot it, I was willing to pack it out of the canyon, even though we would be there the better part of two days doing so.

He declined. He said he wanted something intact, and that if this bull makes it to next year, it would be a magnificent trophy for someone. Wow, not sure how many guys would pass on that premise.

When he looked over the other bulls grazing 250 yards away, he decided to pass also. We had talked about the difficulty of saving all the meat in this weather, way back in this part of the area. He stated that was weighing heavy on his mind with all three bulls, and that he had seen nicer bulls than the two small guys, in areas where we could get them out without nearly as much concern of spoilage.

Secretly, I let out a big sigh of relief. This would have been one of the worst haul out jobs of my life.

We hunted back toward the truck not seeing anything other than a rattle snake. If my sister is reading this, your son handles those situations very well, so don't fret.

We got in late and we are toasted. Cody is such a troop. As we pass the eight mile mark on our hike back to the truck, he was still laughing and cracking jokes.

He wants to shoot a bull very bad, but is patient to find the right bull in the right location. Very impressive composure for a seventeen year-old on his fist elk hunt.

Given the state of our exhaustion, I think tomorrow will be fewer miles and hopefully less canyon country. I told Cody we can take it easier tomorrow. His reply was that if the bulls take us to the same place tomorrow, that is what he wants to do.

Going to bed now and saying a prayer that the bulls will keep us closer to the trailhead and up on the grassy mesas.

Hope Cody catches his much earned break tomorrow.

Good luck guys! Sounds like you're into them each day and Cody has much more patience than I would. If I wasn't on a completely different continent right now I'd offer to come help pack out and keep uncle Randy from breaking his back. :)

Coming from a cinematographer's point of view(such as Lorens) I'd say the challenge of his job just increased 100-fold. Total bummer on the t-pod. Hope you guys can still make it happen...best of luck.

There are two bulls that are trying to commit suicide on this hunt. Cody passed on the raghorn 5X6 again this morning. We are now sitting about 300 yards from 'ol one beam.

Cody has been glassing him for the last hour and I wonder if temptation is going to get the best of him. He keeps looking at me for input and I am not giving any. If he decides to shoot One-beam, I will be very happy. If he walks away again, that is fine too.

Good news is that One-beam is now up oin the bench and not in the canyon. Still a 4 mile pack, each way,but not having to carry him that 400' vertical would be way easier.

I know what I would do if I was in Cody's shoes, but my opinion doesn't matter. Since I love goofy and freaky antlers, we would be packing elk for the next two days. And I would not get a matching antler reconstructed. I would do a euro and 'ol 0ne Beam would have a permanent home in MT.

Hopefully will have a good update this afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back