New Mexico - Cody's first elk hunt

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I am now in New Mexico, waiting for Cody and Loren to show up tomorrow. Troy must have had all the NM elk fun he can stand, as he bailed out on this trip. Loren gets the pleasure this time.

Cody is flying in from Minnesota. He is 17 and this was the last year he could apply for these New Mexico youth hunts. He drew this year, after blanking out in his previous attempt.

Cody has shot his share of deer in Minnesota and has wanted to come west since we first started talking about this possibility. Cody is my sister's oldest son. He and I have never really had the chance to spend a lot of time together, with him living in Arkansas and Minnesota, and me living in Montana. Regardless of the outcome, it will be a great time to spend with my nephew.

Last time I was on a youth hunt in NM, it was when my son had the tag in a neighboring unit in 2007. I messed him up on a huge bull. That was my all-time favorite hunt. I hope this one is similar.

Doubt we will have cell coverage, so not sure what kind of updates we can provide. Camp will be set by tomorrow afternoon and we will be scouting in the evening, hopefully putting a big bull to his bed and allowing Cody to sneak in for the shot when season opens Saturday morning.

Federal asked that we have a youth hunt this year. Lucked out and Cody drew the tag, so I think we have about as good of a youth hunt as we could ask for.

I will take lots of pics and keep a good journal, allowing me to provide a decent recount upon our return.

Good luck to Cody! Hope you all put a great bull to bed on Friday an Cody can provide him a dirt nap Saturday morning. Should be a great hunt in any case.

My kids have finally shown an interest in hunting big game so I hope to have a few youth hunts next year to report on starting this spring with javelina & turkey. If my kids get an elk before I do, well, I guess it will be just about perfect.

What a great opportunity to spend some time together. An elk would be icing on the cake!!! Can't wait to see the show. Good luck to Cody.

Good luck Cody and BigFin, can't wait to hear the story!

Sounds like a great time with your nephew! Good luck guys - Best of success!

Sounds like the start of a great adventure for you and your nephew. Many memories will be made and cherished.

Cody has landed and he is in the rental rig with Loren, on their way to meet me. Once they get here, we will drop off the ends of the earth, for all practical purposes.

Weather forecast looks great. 30s for the lows and highs in the low 70s. Supposedly no chance of rain, which means we will probably have a record heat wave, followed by a Pacific hurricane appearing on Monday.

I am so ready for this hunt. I know of two bulls in this area that are over 330, and am sure there are a few that are even bigger. Yet, if Cody wants to shoot a spike, he has the free pass to shoot whatever meets his fancy. That would be easier to pack out of the hell hole we will be in, so I might encourage such.

I hope some of you guys apply your kids for these tags. I just ran into NMTaxi and his son. Danny has the youth tag just west of us. They look like they are set to have a great time.

Moosie, if ever you want to apply your boys for this hunt, let me know. I would love to see O-Town down here trying to put one of these on the ground. With that patented Williamson luck, I am sure he would draw his first choice, the first time he applies. As good as you are at telling funny web stories, it would be one of the Hunt Talk classics.

We are bored to tears, waiting for the big bull and his cows to come back up this wind cursed ridge. Since we are waiting him out, decided to see what cell coverage was up here.

We saw 6 bulls this morning, witj the one we are waiting on being bigger than anything I have seen in a while. He and his cows dropped off the ridge, down to private. Hoping they feed up this afternoon.

Currently looking at a nice 6X6 in the scope. To haul him out would be a nightmare, so we are hoping for some good luck to bring Hank back our direction.

Tonight I will post the story of me losing a $2,500 tripod somewhere along the road in New Mexico. Loren is now shooting this one freehand, thanks to my idiocy.

More later. Getting ready for the evening glass 'em and thrash 'em session. Just not sure who is gonna get the thrashin'.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back