Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Member...

JoeSchmo

Grew up hunting everything in Montana. Spent the last 11 years going to college and chasing the dream of being one of those guys on the field every Sunday... instead, I was one of the guys on the sidelines in his shorts and tee. At almost 30, I decided I could be doing a lot better things in life than standing on a sideline.

Timed it right so I could hunt the entire month of September in Montana and Idaho last year. And I will be hunting every year from now on!! 2 Idaho elk tags and 1 Montana tag last year... I spent the entire month hunting!! Every day I hunted for at least a couple hours. I am blessed to have a wife that accompanied me on some of the trips and let me hunt alone the rest of the time on national forest and blm land.

I quickly learned how much I had forgotten over the past 11 years after blowing 2 opportunities on big bulls during the first week. I ended up taking my first elk on my 7th day of hunting... a spike in Idaho. To be honest, the most gratifying feeling I've had in a very long time!!

I then stumbled and slipped down a hill and caught myself while hurdling a couple logs then thinking to myself and admiring my obstacles how 'I still got it' only to turn around to a bull looking right at me. He then stayed around long enough for me to knock an arrow, have the arrow fall of the rest, knock a second arrow then drop to my knees to avoid a branch. A Montana bull!!

During the last week of September I went back to Idaho where I shot my spike. I jumped a bull elk....I read that if you jump a lone elk and they take off running, you should run after them because they will eventually slow down and stop... In an instant, I decided to try it. I dropped my pack and chased after the elk through the dark timber. I ran after him for about 300 yards and when we came to a little clearing he actually stopped broadside at 25 yards.... the rest was history! (except for the next 2 hours looking for my pack that I had dropped 300 yards back somewhere in the timber... eventually found it though!)

3 bulls in my first year back!! I'm hooked again and now have the time!!

I'm looking to fine tune my skills of a hunter. I am very raw. Hoping I can pick up a few things while on here!

Attachments

• 2014spike.jpg
    2014spike.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 425
  • 2014idaho.jpg
    2014idaho.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 424
  • 2014bull.jpg
    2014bull.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Welcome back to the woods! And you seemed to have wasted little time getting back in the groove of chasing critters.

Welcome! From a newbie to the forum as well! I too am trying to get back in the field, I've spent the majority of my 20's in the desert helping hunt 2 legged critters.

I'm hoping to get some hunting wits going as well, hunting wasn't in my family so I'm self taught and have a long way to go.

Good luck look forward to talking with you through the seasons and picking your brain.

I'd say some of us here (me) can learn some things from you as well. Thanks for sharing the pics and welcome!

Welcome.... as I was told not long ago...you joined a good forum. Lots of guys willing to help out.
Good luck this season.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back