Yeti GOBOX Collection

NEW HOUSE COSTS

Mallardsx2

WOW.....

I dont know if I am going to able to afford this.....Is anyone else building right now? The price for building a new house is absolutely out of sight.

2500 SQ FT house on a slab with acid washed floors, with no garage, is over 400K....

Holy cow! Ok if I ask more: roughly where and what companies you’re talking to? Any thoughts on something like a Morton building? That’s so expensive!

We are considering all options at this point. Morton building are definable one of the options we are considering.

We have only gotten 1 estimate from a local custom builder. His prices are out of sight.

That's actually probably a lot more reasonable than you think. 2,500 square feet for 400k only comes out to about $160 per square foot. A custom built house should really run at or a little higher than $200 per square foot.

Where are you building? I am just ready to start framing a 2650’ home on a conditioned crawl space with an attached 24x28 garage. Doing nearly all the work myself, but planning to be in it @ $225-250k in materials.
I am not going to be going super high end with my interior finishes.42627A8C-4FAC-4495-AEFD-169A1D99B251.jpeg

Last edited:
The price of lumber is between "wow" and not available. I priced 25 - 8 ft 2x 10s last winter at $1165 for #2. Since I'm working an impact zone (where one roof dumps its snow load onto the one I'm building) I wanted strength. I went to the local rough cut mill where things are full size, stickered and stack dried and bought #1 select fir for $628. Just an option to consider.

My daughter works for a building company in midweast. They have millions of dollars in orders and can't secure any lumber. This could get out of control.

We are seeing homes running around $200-$210/SF right now. That's the cost for the structure itself. On an 1,800 - 2,200 SF home that would typically include a 3 car attached garage with nice finishes in the home. That would not include site costs like sewer, water, and utility, and permit costs. Permits are anywhere from $10,000 to $23,000 in these parts for a $400k home.

yea the reason is the price an availability of lumber. Could be a couple of reasons:

A. Difficult to manufacture building materials with current strict regulations on logging.
B. Keeping supply low to increase demand and price.
C. Wages for builders is going up therefore driving the price of homes up to cover the costs and still generate a profit.

We bought our house for 334,000 and its 1701 sqft. Its not cheap to own a home anymore and will probably stay this way for awhile because people are willing or have to pay it cause there are no better options. Its more difficult to get lumber now more then it ever has been. Look at all that dead fall in the national forests just sitting there. Lumber company's use to take all of that and maybe they still do sometimes, but it sure seems like there is more dead fall these days then there use to be all across the country and nobody is making lumber out of it. Its a renewable resource but its just so freakin difficult to get permits to log these days. Increased housing costs is the price you pay for it.

The house I built 5 years ago in michigan, i remember i paid 12-13$ a sheet for plywood now its closer to 50$ a sheet in many areas. Built that house myself for 115,000 and its the exact same sq footage as the one we have out here in Montana.

I just ordered some 2x4's from local mill along with fascia. 1000'. Will be very reasonable,comparitivly. The True Value lumber yard will be expensive in cost ,for 2 18' trusses worth of your typical 2x4's & half dozen OSB sheets.
Was a builder for many years. Could build a nice small home for $80sqft, a custom for $100+sqft.
Can find some pricey junk materials these days. If you can find it.

Last edited:
Built my own and for materials only on a 1800 sq ft house I had roughly 100k in materials alone, that was 3 years ago, everything has gone up since then.

We finished ours this spring and we are at $310k. It’s 1944 sqfeet living space on the main floor, plus a full walkout basement. That does not include the land as we already owned that. Everything was at or slightly under what the contractors quoted us. I should have doubled my rock budget.

Last edited:
If your paying someone that’s about right, you could do it yourself for cheaper, But that would require doing it yourself.

I am in the process of buying a brand new 3600 sq ft 1800 finished/1800 unfinished daylight basement on 4 acres by the lake for 429,000. 238/119 sq ft depending on how ya look at it.

Also Building a 2040 ft spec on cheap dirt that will run in the 120’s with me doing some of the work and all the finish work.

Moving into ours next week here in Oregon; final all-in was right at $200/SF for 2444 on 2 acres. I would call the build quality to be about average for our area or slightly above. Thank God the interest rates are down!

When we moved back to Montana we took a real bath on the sale of our ranch in Wash. However we were a bit ahead of the surge and bought a 24x28 log houseand 33 acres for $60,000. When the kids moved out we contracted to expand the log house with more logs to 3200 sq ft. for $35,000. We did all of our own work and borrowed $15,000. We still don't have the hardwood floors in but someday.

we did at one point, owned a critical piece of land and traded 2.68 acres for 28 acres. You win by accident every once in a while. I will likely die here cause we would have to get a few million to afford to move and buy the equivalent.

Reactions: LCH
We are in the process of finalizing our home build in Wyoming this week.
1650 ft finished upstairs, 1650 unfinished basement, stubbed. Covered front and back concrete porches. Tile and engineered hardwood flooring throughout. Granite counter tops. Two 600 s.f. garage bays. Eight acres.
Will run us $450K finished except for landscaping. This is an exceptional price for our area. Have been looking at homes and builds for two years.
Where we are moving from we could do this project $100K cheaper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back