NEW HOUSE COSTS

Where are you building? I am just ready to start framing a 2650’ home on a conditioned crawl space with an attached 24x28 garage. Doing nearly all the work myself, but planning to be in it @ $225-250k in materials.
I am not going to be going super high end with my interior finishes.View attachment 148707
I like your ICFs they are only way to go.

WOW.....

I dont know if I am going to able to afford this.....Is anyone else building right now? The price for building a new house is absolutely out of sight.

2500 SQ FT house on a slab with acid washed floors, with no garage, is over 400K....
2500 square feet? How many kids you got?

Reading this, glad we decided to build 6 years ago...couldn't afford this joint at those prices.

This is why I do my own work...

...But $400K for a medium-sized custom home isn't unreasonable if you're paying someone else to do it.

Me and the wife have looked into moving several times. It always comes down to the cost of living. So much of northern ohio and western pa are nothing but shut down factories but the cost of living is so much cheaper. I guess thats one good thing about living in the rust belt.

I guess it depends on your part of the country. You can easily build a house for $125/sqft foot where we live. I work with several home builders on a daily basis. As with anything you can spend a little or spend a ton depending on your tastes.

In a slab.
Northern GA.
We have 1 kid.

Now dont get me wrong there is a lot of concrete there but it just seems like very high price? Maybe not?

Pretty sure new construction homes here start just above $300k for 1,500 sq ft. Easily get to $400k+ once you are at 2,500 sq ft. Those are developments in town with small lots. And there is a lot of competition for those homes.

Median price of homes listed for sale in Coeur d'Alene is currently $526k. The expensive lake homes throw that off a bit, but tough to find much for <$350k.

Wildabeast, sounds funny, but it's true. Just shows how costs can skyrocket. When I built my house, my wife was dumbfounded by simple things like how much quality plumbing fixtures cost. Gets out of hand quick. Sorry, it's like $16 and change. 42K in can lights. mtmuley

Every part of the country is different. The $160 per square foot is really high in my area. Custom built homes run about $130 square foot. 2500 sq ft house would not be considered very big here either.

One things for sure if your common man wants to build a house he better either build it now or build it himself. In 20 years you wont be able to afford to build.

People probably said this 20 years ago. lol

My parents built a house for 175K 20 years ago. There is no telling what their place is worth by todays numbers. I bet you its worth 400K at this point.

How do you like those insulated forms?
Depending on the application they are amazing. IMO, if you are building a finished basement it’s the absolute best way. No need to add studs and insulation, drywall attaches right to the forms, wiring and receptacles go into the foam.
For a crawl space it’s overkill, but I justified the cost by doing all the labor myself and saving the $3000 in freight and form rentals if I would have poured a standard concrete wall.
Stacking is simple. Bracing takes twice as long as stacking.
I have worked on projects where all the walls up to the roof are ICFs. It’s a really quiet and energy efficient house, but I am not sure if it pencils out in terms of cost/savings.
But for below grade applications, I like them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back