MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New home - What would you do?

I don't care what my forever home will look like, but one thing is for sure, half the basement will be barn wood with all my mounts!!!

This is good advice. I’d go as energy efficient as possible.
Yep. Pays off. I saw in another post about wide hallways. Go 36 inch doors everywhere. And again, buy quality. Don't leave anything unfinished like a bonus room or the garage. Better in the long run to just complete the whole home. LED lighting, instant hot water while not necessary are nice. Don't know your budget, but home automation controlling lighting, heating, audio/video and security is awesome. I know lots of other cool ways to spend your money.🙂 mtmuley

Build a smaller house :)

I would build a super tight envelope, probably double wall construction to get rid of any thermal breaks. It costs about 10% extra to build a tight house that allows you to really reduce your energy requirements. I think you can get away with just a heat pump if the home designed right.
I'm a builder that specializes in this type of house and I couldn't agree more. I would add some type of balanced ventilation, heat recovery ventilator or energy recovery ventilator depending on where you live. We built a few years ago and especially with the fire seasons the way they are now it's been great having the clean air inside. 10% more is probably a good budget number increase if the house is simple. I've found the more of architectural detail the more bump in added cost for a good envelope. I've gone to pretty basic houses now for that reason.

I think the other item I appreciate the most is the trash pullout out that I can press on with my knee and get to open. It's a small thing, but great for keeping bloody hands off of the cabinets.

If you use a gas or propane grill put natural gas hookups outside.

Large patio

Electrical hookup for the hot tub

Multiple access points to back yard through fence if you have one.

On and on and on......

On and on and on......
No kidding. I work for a high end builder. Our projects run into double digit millions for custom homes. I could help the OP go way into debt. Even so, there are things I wish I would have done different when I built my home. A solid plan before the first shovel of dirt is moved is critical. mtmuley

Build a smaller house :)

I would build a super tight envelope, probably double wall construction to get rid of any thermal breaks. It costs about 10% extra to build a tight house that allows you to really reduce your energy requirements. I think you can get away with just a heat pump if the home designed right.

The 30 inch counter tops is brilliant. We are thinking of even wider if we build. I want to be able to have my counter top appliances to all be on the counter with enough room in front of them so you can still work. My house would basically be a huge kitchen. I need the room to cook and process meat, can, etc. Plus everyone hangs around the kitchen anyway, so might as well make it the center piece of the house. My house would be small though, and I would have a huge, functional barn.
Our house is very well insulated and not huge (about 2000 sq ft). Double walls are cool and I've done that before, but I think it's easier to accomplish the same thing with some exterior foam board.
Anyway, when we were building, our first attempt at a well was a total bust. 600 feet and no water; a very expensive hole in the ground. So we made lemonade from lemons and used it as the sink for a geothermal heat pump. We have long, cold winters here, but I can heat my whole house for about $350.00 per year. Heatpumps and insulation are a great combo. The modern "through the wall" ones are pretty cool, too.

To the OP, make sure you have a substantial mud room with lots of storage and space for hangers. Put a big fan in any bathroom with a shower. Pick your battles carefully and let your wife make most decisions (unless she doesn't like making decisions, in which case, for god's sake, make the right decisions)!

Pay for a beam in garages, no lolli columns. Add 9 gfoot doors

Oversized halls

Double electric outlets and network connections over what you think

Add outdoor outlets

Radiant floor heat

No kidding. I work for a high end builder. Our projects run into double digit millions for custom homes. I could help the OP go way into debt. Even so, there are things I wish I would have done different when I built my home. A solid plan before the first shovel of dirt is moved is critical. mtmuley
My wife has a post construction cleaning business. I'll help her out in the summer sometimes. I've definitely seen a fair amount of what not to do and one of the dumbest things I've seen is....... China cabinets from floor to ceilings that are lighted and have glass doors..... eff that.

You learn quickly what not to waste money on. For some though.... it's only money

My wife has a post construction cleaning business. I'll help her out in the summer sometimes. I've definitely seen a fair amount of what not to do and one of the dumbest things I've seen is....... China cabinets from floor to ceilings that are lighted and have glass doors..... eff that.

You learn quickly what not to waste money on. For some though.... it's only money
I hear you. I'm not surprised by much anymore. I've seen 50K bathtubs, 80K ranges and a kevlar walled saferoom. We've done indoor shooting ranges and swimming pools you can control with a smartphone. It's fun. The 80K range was for cooking. mtmuley

Last edited:
I hear you. I'm not surprised by much anymore. I've seen 50K bathtubs, 80K ranges and a kevlar walled saferoom. We've done indoor shooting ranges and swimming pools you can control with a smartphone. It's fun. mtmuley
Ever get a chance for a "demo days" talking about the gun range......

I have built my forever house about 6 times in the last 20 years. I am currently building my forever shop. I hope to get it done before the urge to sell it overwhelms me. If you want to keep a house forever, get underwater with it. It might be a good time to accomplish that right now.

Don't build whatever you build in the wrong neighborhood.

I would love to have an underground 100 yd. rifle range.

All great suggestion so far!

What are you guys think about having a small freezer area for hanging meat? Like an animal or two at a time. I totally think that our garage could have room for that but want to know how to build something like that.

My thought would be to buy a small commercial freezer and just put it in the garage. I know some people have opinions about hanging meat, and that’s cool and all. I like hanging meat for a week or so.

I am building a walk in cooler in my shop now. I have always wanted one. I think it is a great idea but have no experience with one.

Absolutely no vented ridge cap, we finally got blowing snow 6 yrs after moving in. Snow blew into the attic. Lucky we have a vaulted ceiling so the water ran down instead of soaking through the ceiling.

5000 is big,but I worked on a 50k one one time.

Efficient layout that flows.
Offset the large open airy rooms with smart circulation & room location.
Building placement. Radiant floors,passive solar,etc. 2x6 wall's. Firewall/sheer for mounts.
Plumbing & heating,elec, laid out in common location with a walk in chase.
ditto the 30"counters,3-4' halls.Quality doors, windows,metal roof/siding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back