Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New home - What would you do?

mxracer317

My wife and I are beginning a new home build, and this is probably going to be a lifelong home, so I want to get it right.

The house will be about 5500sqft so we have room to do what we would like to. We will have 2 garages (both attached to the home).

I'm wondering what you would do if you were building? Also, I'm looking for suggestions within the walls of the home, as it's in a residential neighborhood.

Thanks y'all. Looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts!

An entire wall or two suitable for hanging mounts where I don't have to worry about finding a damn stud.

Think it'd be pretty easy to do and not add that much expense to it already, just a 1/2 inch piece of plywood over studs before adding sheetrock ought to do it.

Build a smaller house :)

I would build a super tight envelope, probably double wall construction to get rid of any thermal breaks. It costs about 10% extra to build a tight house that allows you to really reduce your energy requirements. I think you can get away with just a heat pump if the home designed right.

The 30 inch counter tops is brilliant. We are thinking of even wider if we build. I want to be able to have my counter top appliances to all be on the counter with enough room in front of them so you can still work. My house would basically be a huge kitchen. I need the room to cook and process meat, can, etc. Plus everyone hangs around the kitchen anyway, so might as well make it the center piece of the house. My house would be small though, and I would have a huge, functional barn.

Is a basement an option? If so, I would add a safe room- from storms, lock up valuables, guns, etc.. workshop area in garage or basement. Large office with a vaulted ceiling so I can hang mounts and not have to listen to the mrs complain.

Going through the same process. Toured a couple homes my builder buddy has going in various states. The one thing that really stuck out to me was a 6ft wide staircase from the garage to the basement. Maybe not need if your building a walkout but super convenient otherwise.

Radon mitigation system
A beam in garage ceiling that will hold weight of gambrel and hanging game
Heated master bathroom floor; also separate room for toilet
Set up for one level living option

Go heavy on electrical and lighting. Dimmer switches are easy to install, adding lighting is not. Where are you going to need outlets for holidays, parties, etc. 6” walls, insulate and finish at least one of the garages. Put a 2 compartment commercial stainless sink in the finished garage. Make the garage deep. Think of every conceivable place that you will want to hang a mount and install backing during the framing process. If its a “must have” for your wife then make it happen. They don’t forget.

If you want a kitchen island do yourself a huge favor and allow ample travel space between island and wall base cabinets.
3' is not enough. Look at this way...two adults, maybe a dog,and the dishwasher door is down gets crowded fast.
Think about design/positioning of home with summer shade and winter sun.
Forego something and insulate the crap out of it.
Random suggestions. Back to space relations. Design space to function efficiently i.e think about furniture size and location and how the travel space functions. Don't create oversized dead zones. 3' hallways stink.
Enjoy the process. Its worth it in the end.

I second the idea of plywood beneath sheetrock in a few places. I don't own my house but one wall in the living room is built this way and it's been cool to just slap stuff up wherever without worrying about a stud.

I don't know how old you are, but something else to consider: My dad is planning a similar build for he and my mom, that "last house we ever live in" idea. One thing he's doing is widening hallways, in case he or my mom ever winds up in a wheel chair. She cringes and points out that they're both in their fifties and healthy but I think he's smart to consider it. Maybe think about that and also building a shower with similar accessibility.

I did this 3/4 years ago, shop last winter. Way expensive but do it right dont skimp. Heavyduty or commercial grade everything! Steel roof, lots of ceiling fans, oversized doors, extra insulation, all premium materials that are low maintenance. Think ahead for mounts and use backer boards in walls. I spent way to much and you will to but my favorite feature maybe is i have a lightsw and fan control knob right above my headboard...lol good luck with build

Open floor plan, high ceilings, foam insulation that mtmuley mentioned. 10 foot ceilings in the basement. Push your garage back in at least one stall for a reloading/meat cutting area with sink. Finished garage with heat. Have an outside natural gas fitting for barbeque or outside kitchen. Wire in 220 for welder and charging electric vehicles in your garage....bunch of stuff we did some others I wish we would have done.

Some ideas.....

Man room ...... not a garage stall. A room in the house for gear. Even if it's the utility room.

NO CRAWL SPACE!

An abundance of outlets inside and out especially in corners of house for Xmas lights.

Extra LED lights in garage. Fan in garage. Gas heater in garage or stove if possible.

Build a dog run first with access into garage for pooch.

A utility room with sink. Complete with counter top area for cutting meat.

I wish I had some sort of drains in my garage.

I'll never have another house without a mud/laundry room

If you got the dough radiant floor heat and sidewalks.

Concrete floors if single level

Garage tall enough to process game.

If you got kids or are planning on it an over sized fridge.

Large pantry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back