Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New home - What would you do?

Visited the Biltmore House in Asheville NC when my wife and I were dating. They had a room just called the “ gun room “ with gun cabinets lining the walls all all sides. I’d probably do some kind of room like that. It wasn’t a huge room by that houses standard but it was very neat.

I would build something a fraction of that size unless you have a very large family.

I'd spend the money on efficiency and an awesome kitchen.. Large sinks an island stove a brick bread/pizza oven along with a couple of built in baking ovens..

My house is 1600 sq ft and we successfully raised 5 boys here. We even helped several people who had fallen on had times by having them stay here while we had the boys..

Nice Otto. We do a lot of barn doors also. Pretty cool when a traditional closer won't work. Lots of pocket doors too. Hate those. mtmuley

My wife and I are beginning a new home build, and this is probably going to be a lifelong home, so I want to get it right.

The house will be about 5500sqft so we have room to do what we would like to. We will have 2 garages (both attached to the home).

I'm wondering what you would do if you were building? Also, I'm looking for suggestions within the walls of the home, as it's in a residential neighborhood.

Thanks y'all. Looking forward to hearing some of your thoughts!

In-floor radiant heating and the best windows and doors you can afford.
If you're in a cold climate think about a high-efficiency wood stove for the house, and insulate the heck out of the garages and add a heater in there too.

Also, consider that lumber prices are 3-4x normal right now, so expect to pay a whole lot for your new house!

Know going in that when completed you will most likely find things that you wish you had done differently.

Surprised at only one mention of Geothermal.
Depending on your energy budget and location the larger the space the larger the expense of heating and cooling (and cleaning).

We downsized our homes. Grew tired of 2/3 of the space going unused. I would build smaller but open in the living space and add all the extras our hearts desired if I had an unlimited budget. His and hers hobby rooms and heated outbuildings for whatever.

We built a guest cabin for family and guests. The older we get the more we value our routines and privacy.

Some things I didn’t see mentioned possibly because you are talking residential area.
Down turned outdoor floodlights, outdoor electrical outlets, water faucets on all sides of the home.
Indoor insulation especially separating the bathrooms from the common areas.
Walk in pantry and large pan drawers and pull out shelves in the kitchen.

Lights on the outside corners, switched on the master. His and hers walk in closets. Ok. Hers and hers, but you can dream. Rv size garage bay. His and hers hobby rooms. Ground floor master suite.

I think it got mentioned already but all LED lighting on dimmers throughout where reasonable, and light switches on each side of the bed in the master bedroom.
Addendum to my above post, with the availability of remote switches, the ability to turn on any of the floodlights from master bedroom and all exits including the garage...

I didn't know you were a carpenter @mtmuley . Beautiful work, thanks for sharing. It's about as pure a trade as there is in my book. Few things are more satisfying and valuable than expert carpentry. Pretty hard to put a price on perfection. In a world of machine made look alikes, it will always be sought after

Nice work mtmuley. I’ve been lucky to have known quite a few master wood butchers. Many of them became general superintendents in commercial building, good ones.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back