Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New home - What would you do?

Vent hood in the garage. Nice for winter BBQ, smoker and even just to move some air around while working in there.

If I had it to do over I’d build a large walk in safe. Big one. Like a room with reinforced cinder block walls with all my favorite firearms on display on the walls and my reloading area in there too. The door would be a safe door like at the bank. And all my ammo. Completely fire proof room.

If I had it to do over I’d build a large walk in safe. Big one. Like a room with reinforced cinder block walls with all my favorite firearms on display on the walls and my reloading area in there too. The door would be a safe door like at the bank. And all my ammo. Completely fire proof room.

College friend's parents did this. But they were growing something dank in there, and not storing firearms or precious metals.

We cleaned a new construction once that had a 1200sq ft gun room...... that was separate from his shooting range.

We may have the only gun/wine room. Enough for 20 cases and 20 guns. Don't smoke but stuck a few cigars in there so I could cover ATF.

Can't add much to the excellent advice other than to reinforce that you should have access to everything you need on one level. Have seen more than one family have to sell their dream home because they couldn't do stairs.

Or, if you're building something like mtmuley showed, put in an elevator. Chump change ;)

We may have the only gun/wine room. Enough for 20 cases and 20 guns. Don't smoke but stuck a few cigars in there so I could cover ATF.

Can't add much to the excellent advice other than to reinforce that you should have access to everything you need on one level. Have seen more than one family have to sell their dream home because they couldn't do stairs.

Or, if you're building something like mtmuley showed, put in an elevator. Chump change ;)

There's an E in there you're not accounting for. It's the BATFE.

Need some C4 or dynamite. Then you're good to go.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but natural light is huge...we did lots of windows and a few sky lights as well. I always wanted a bar area too.

I started this thread thinking that my 2100 ft.² 3 bed(+bonus rm), 2 bath single level was just right, if not a touch big for somebody with no children.

After reading through this, I think I need 3500 ft.² just for a shop, an attached 4 car garage, and at least 5000 feet on the main level

I started this thread thinking that my 2100 ft.² 3 bed(+bonus rm), 2 bath single level was just right, if not a touch big for somebody with no children.

After reading through this, I think I need 3500 ft.² just for a shop, an attached 4 car garage, and at least 5000 feet on the main level
Only limited by your budget. mtmuley

So I did build a 30 x 30' x 10' tall, totally encased in reinforced concrete vault for a client of mine this year. Looks like it's part of his shop, but it's a vault, with hidden vault door, heating system, and HVAC to keep the humidity perfect.
Fun project.

Missed this thread and just played catch up. Unless I missed it, OP didn't say what climate and this is heavy advice towards cold and snow - advice I would need if I built in a cold area. I've spend most of my life in hot locales and never understood the push to not insulate better. Works in hot or cold.

A whole house generator is a must for me having lived in areas prone to power outages from hurricanes and thunderstorms alike. Current house is 2600 sq ft and has two A/C units. Life saver when one goes out in July. You can live in the other part of the house while waiting on repairs and possibly skip the weekend repair rate (because it will go down on Friday night).

Career military and moved way too many times but helps get a feel for what you like and don't. I think 2400-2600 is a sweet spot for a house to have a significant kitchen, living area, master suite, and a couple spare rooms for visitors.

To get the kitchen my wife wants (and deserves) without buying a 4500 sq ft house will probably require a custom build. Great thread. I can look at the custom as a savings for getting what I want over buying 1-2k sq feet that I don't need, don't have to heat and cool, and don't have to clean.

Separate heated/cooled insulated shed for projects is high on my list.

Missed this thread and just played catch up. Unless I missed it, OP didn't say what climate and this is heavy advice towards cold and snow - advice I would need if I built in a cold area. I've spend most of my life in hot locales and never understood the push to not insulate better. Works in hot or cold.

A whole house generator is a must for me having lived in areas prone to power outages from hurricanes and thunderstorms alike. Current house is 2600 sq ft and has two A/C units. Life saver when one goes out in July. You can live in the other part of the house while waiting on repairs and possibly skip the weekend repair rate (because it will go down on Friday night).

Career military and moved way too many times but helps get a feel for what you like and don't. I think 2400-2600 is a sweet spot for a house to have a significant kitchen, living area, master suite, and a couple spare rooms for visitors.

To get the kitchen my wife wants (and deserves) without buying a 4500 sq ft house will probably require a custom build. Great thread. I can look at the custom as a savings for getting what I want over buying 1-2k sq feet that I don't need, don't have to heat and cool, and don't have to clean.

Separate heated/cooled insulated shed for projects is high on my list.
SLC, UT :)

you did mention that on page 5 or 6! Forgot as I'd just read the entire thread.

Salt Lake would be on my list if I could get kids to agree. Just trying to get the adult kids to live on the same coast after raising tumbleweeds (attribute to Herman Wouk, Winds of War and Pug Henry his main character)

you did mention that on page 5 or 6! Forgot as I'd just read the entire thread.

Salt Lake would be on my list if I could get kids to agree. Just trying to get the adult kids to live on the same coast after raising tumbleweeds (attribute to Herman Wouk, Winds of War and Pug Henry his main character)
You’re right, It is a great thread. Blown away at all the great stuff. Thanks everyone!

Back