Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New guy needs help with buying a pack

I went through a similar pack buying experience about a year ago. I bought a Badlands 2200 and tried it for a few weeks. Really didn't like it. It was heavy for the capacity, the meat hauling strap goes around the back of the pack which puts that heavy load out away from your back and hips rather than aligned with them, and it didn't have capacity for the multi-day trips I wanted. I started looking hard at better packs, and just like everyone said, it came down to Exo, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside, and Mystery Ranch. I have a long torso so frame size became an issue, which ruled out the MR for me because I didn't like the needed frame extender. I was able to try on all of the other brands with weight in them either through contacts on this forum or Rokslide, or at different shows and expos. Stone Glacier fit the best for me. I bought the 5900 and have been very happy with the purchase. this year it has packed out 2 elk, a mule deer buck, and a handful of antelope. Kicks the crap out of the Badlands I had, the Kelty before that, the Cabelas pack frame I had before that. If you can, try to find a way to try on the different packs and see what works best for you.

I had a badlands 2200, switched to a Kuiu and could not believe the difference it made. You will not be disappointed in spending more on a better pack no matter what brand.

Another vote for Kifaru. Expensive, but worth every penny. Never had a pack on my back that was more comfortable with a load and it will last you a lifetime.

Not sure on the horn hunter but I have had multiple badland packs and seem to have fair experience with them. Zippers are junk and they aren't really build that great for western hunting. Obviously this is my opinion. If you plan to do western hunts and also like to use it as a pack for hunting back home, id suggest mystery ranch (MR). You will need to spend a little more coin but there are plenty of solid packs to choose from MR. They also stand solid behind their product!

I was always a get by with what I had kind of guy. I finally splurged on an Exo 3500. I have zero regrets.

I wouldn’t carry a 2200 ci pack.
You said you’re going to camp. There’s no way to pack out camp and your animal on that.

I rank the packs I’ve worn enough to have an opinion on in this order

Stone Glacier Sky
Kuiu Icon
Mystery Ranch Marshall
Kelty cache hauler
Kelty coyote or something
Badlands Super Day

In the grand scheme of things if you are coming from PA to hunt out west, the extra $3-500 for a 15 year pack is barely noticeable. Seriously clean out the garage the gun safe etc and sell some unused gear on Craigslist and find the extra $$$ to upgrade packs. Packs and boots are not the places to save money. Save money on some of the other gear. Heck deliver pizzas a couple nights a week, sell your plasma, find a way

I sold all my parts to a gun project to fund a Kifaru and have not regretted it at all.

Last edited:
I will give my opinion. I have a Eberlestock J34 just one. I have used it on several hunts including packing in heavy one time. I haven't packed any meat with it yet. :( but I can say the quality is fantastic. I have two Badlands packs. They are considerable lighter, something I have worked towards lately. I haven't had much of a load on either one yet. I have a Diablo Dos and a Summit. I use the Diablo for Whitetail hunting where mostly what I am hauling hunting gear and clothing. I have done a lot of research and looking because I want to be able to hunt farther and not kill myself. If I were buying one today it would definitely be a Kuiu. Super light and the design and materials are superior. In fact I will be replacing a lot of my stuff to Kuiu simply to hunt lighter. You can take a 1M tent, 30 degree bag + food and gear for a 5 day pack with sub 50 pound weight. I see a lot of legit mountain hunters using Mystery Ranch packs. I do have my Eberlestock for sale with a full compliment of accessories. Just FYI

Looks like plenty of experience giving advise. There are so many packs out there, not knowing your destination(s) mtn west or the plains woodlands east? I am a mtns west backpack hunter. Advise here is go big 5000ci is minimal for extended hunts in the Cascades, Salmon River or Rockies. 6 to 8000ci is better. Barney, kuiu, kifaru, blacks creek, outdoorsmans are some good packs. I have been using black creek for 10 yrs. Packed a lot of meat a long way with them, including moose in Alaska. Thinking of getting the latest & largest pack they make my next upgrade.
I recommend big because you can put less in a big pack, can't put more in a small pack! Good luck, enjoy those hunts & adventure

Looks like plenty of experience giving advise. There are so many packs out there, not knowing your destination(s) mtn west or the plains woodlands east? I am a mtns west backpack hunter. Advise here is go big 5000ci is minimal for extended hunts in the Cascades, Salmon River or Rockies. 6 to 8000ci is better. Barney, kuiu, kifaru, blacks creek, outdoorsmans are some good packs. I have been using black creek for 10 yrs. Packed a lot of meat a long way with them, including moose in Alaska. Thinking of getting the latest & largest pack they make my next upgrade.
I recommend big because you can put less in a big pack, can't put more in a small pack! Good luck, enjoy those hunts & adventure

I agree with this 100%. You can use your web straps on most packs to tighten the pack up if it's not full but once it's full you can't make more pack! Bigger is definitely better

Exo is the real deal, love my 3500!

I also have a Badlands 2200 collecting dust. I will likely try to sell it.

If you're going to use it once or twice, then the ones mentioned will work for you. But it you're planning on using it even annually for the next 10-20 years, buy an exo.

Sound advice here. There are several quality choices out there, Stone Glacier, Exo, Kifaru, MR come to mind first.

Back