MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New guy needs help with buying a pack

Pa Bowhunter

Ok guys I've been reading and doin some research have found 2 packs that I think are in right ball park but are way different I'm looked at the badlands 2200 and also the horn hunter full curl system

The badlands 2200 is a 2200 cubic inch back

The horn hunter is 5000 cubic inch but the large bag can be removed and then turns into a 2000 cubic inch

Looking do do a base camp as of now but will have a bivy camp with us just incase

Any info on this subject is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

If it were me, I’d spend more and get more. I tried to get by with a Badlands and had to send it in every year for repairs. I finally upgraded to a MR 8 years ago and haven’t regretted it once.

I have a new Mystery Ranch Metcalf I will sell. It is 3 years old and it has never been in the woods cleaning out the hunting room. Size is med. $450.00 Firm if interested send me a PM.

For what it’s worth, the badlands pack ends up on here quite a bit for sale with little interest. A Mystery Ranch priced right very seldom makes it a day before it’s sold. If I were you I would step it up a notch, your back and wallet will thank you later.

I have the eberlestock RMEF edition and it has been good for me. Packed out 5 elk with it and also packed in a 5 day hunt worth of gear. Use it for single or multi day packs.
Oddly enough I have been really sold on trying an EXO pack. Not sure I can justify the 500+$ but. I even have a gift card for EXO

I like my Eberestock Just one pack it has served me well and is one tough pack. Only down side is it is not light weight empty. It is quite and does not make any noise. I do like it.
I have not tried MR packs or Badlands but have thought about buying a Badlands Superday pack for day hunts.

I have a Badlands. Its been back for zipper repair. I like the pack but the zipper are horrible, its now my back up pack. I tried a couple others over the years and settled on a KUIU 3500 Pro. Wish I just bought from the get go. Its bigger than a traditional day pack which what I like because I carry more crap than most, but I have also packed out twice an elk quarter , back straps and loins each trip.

Not sure about a badlands but for what its worth I have been real happy with my stone glacier solo. It will hold a weeks worth of stuff and I can pack a moose out in 6 trips. Not sure where you are located but you could try it out if you'd like, it is NOT for sale but it will give you a feel for them if your interested in a new one.

Also, if you search the forums for packs, you will find more reviews.

Just bite the bullet and go EXO, Mystery Ranch or Kifaru or Stone Glacier and be done with it for the next 15 years. Your shoulders and back will thank you. Just do it

I know most on here will all tell you to spend the extra money, but I know from experience that it isn’t always an option.
I started out with a Slumberjack Rail hauler and strapped an old backpack to it and the rest of the stuff on top. Then I put a five gallon bucket on it with a bucket seat for ice fishing on it. That worked pretty well actually.
Now I’ve upgraded to buying the Kuiu Ultra 5500 an only and strapping it to the frame and I tested it during our rifle season here in Wisconsin. Not a ton of walking but I could pack all of my super heavy bulky orange army clothes, cooler and propane heater and it seemed to work plenty good.
Someday I’ll pay up for MR or SG, but for right now, I wouldn’t be able to afford to go hunting out west if I did.

Plus one for the Mystery Ranch metcalf. I bought one last year and was extremely happy with it! It was the third pack I’ve purchased and put to the test. I can gladly say I’m no longer in the market for a good backpack.

Gone through Tenzing and Mystery Ranch packs over the years, finally, last year ponied up for a Kifaru. For me, best, most comfortable pack ever. Good luck.

If spending more truly isn’t an option, I still wouldn’t buy the Badlands.

D6B2FBC5-5126-4D30-AEE8-3E41E7DAB27F.jpg
Just saw this and thought of your post.

Attachments

• D6B2FBC5-5126-4D30-AEE8-3E41E7DAB27F.jpg
    D6B2FBC5-5126-4D30-AEE8-3E41E7DAB27F.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 521
If you're going to use it once or twice, then the ones mentioned will work for you. But it you're planning on using it even annually for the next 10-20 years, buy an exo.

I'd be keeping my eyes on the classifieds to buy a quality used pack. I love my Stone Glacier more than any pack I've owned. I had a Kifaru that was very nice as well. My Eberlestock X2 was the worst thing I've ever strapped onto my body. Mystery Ranch were too heavy for me to consider, but others like them. My buddy has a Kuiu that works well for him. You'll be much happier buying a quality used pack than a subpar new pack. I know that from experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back