Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is a high-end hunting backpack too overkill for camping

oewded

I'm currently no hunter, but I spend alot of time in the wilderness. I currently use a 4400 cubic inch duffel which has been nothing but overly stuffed. Heck, I hike with boys who bring fully loaded 6500 CUI for 1nighters.

I see a clear purpose for modularity, overload shelves and many compression straps, seeing how I always bring a variety of bulky tools and equipment, food, beverages or even a packraft.

Currently looking at either a MR beartooth 80 + 41 pintler (bag-only) or a SG Sky 5900 which provides both 1night+hauling capabilities and multi-nights. The concern I have is if the load-hauling with all the compression straps is simply too much for my hiking and camping.

Any input you might have would be greatly appreciated.

IMO the hunting packs are great and well worth the $ for hunting when you go from 45 or 50 lbs to adding a game bag full of meat on top thats why they are at the higher $ amount
but for hiking and camping its a bit over kill I have both and use my hunting pack for hunting and camping for camping just my 2cents

I love my SG and the it compresses down so small is great when you don’t need the whole pack. Could you get away with something cheaper? For sure, but if you ever plan to do longer trips or decide to hunt some day they are worth every penny.

For your needs I would look at hyperlite or seekoutside.

Mystery ranch and SG make amazing packs but those two companies build packs a bit more tailored to your needs.

Maybe its overkill now but if you plan to hunt in the future, you could probably spend money once and be happy. I for one have never been disappointed when I have overbought.

If you are already looking at MR, they do carry other packs that may be more appropriate for your request.

I have a Kelty 40 daypack with internal frame and a MR Beartooth 80.
The Kelty ways as much as the Beartooth,go big and only pack what
you need.In the long run you'll be glad you did. 〽💥

Thanks everyone for the great replies. Still on the fence wether or not I can justify the cost really, especially considering the backpack would be several times more expensive than those of the others I'm hiking out with. Tough decision!

Don’t forget to use code Randy to save 10%. $60 is a lot of free blizzards.

Where's this applicable?

Thanks everyone for the great replies. Still on the fence wether or not I can justify the cost really, especially considering the backpack would be several times more expensive than those of the others I'm hiking out with. Tough decision!

Mystery ranch website for the code.

Also a lot of us have done a lot of hunting with regular mountaineering packs, which is to say, they work great.

Where's this applicable?

Where's this applicable?
gohunt.com

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

For your needs I would look at hyperlite or seekoutside.

Mystery ranch and SG make amazing packs but those two companies build packs a bit more tailored to your needs.

What struck me initially was the low recommended load on these packs, it seems I can quite easily overload them. Very nice with waterproofing though.

If you are already looking at MR, they do carry other packs that may be more appropriate for your request.

For an additional $150 over the T100 I get the SG Sky 5900, American made + covers both daypack and multiple daypack.

I love my SG and the it compresses down so small is great when you don’t need the whole pack. Could you get away with something cheaper? For sure, but if you ever plan to do longer trips or decide to hunt some day they are worth every penny.

Yessss, this is what I need to hear!

Don’t forget to use code Randy to save 10%. $60 is a lot of free blizzards.
I like the side access on the SG sky archer because you can have something like a tree stand strapped to the front while it’s in bivy mode and still access the main bag.
Cost vs investment.

Where's this applicable? =)

Don’t forget mystery ranch packs are often on sale for %20 off on gohunt and blackovis.
I love sales.

I would not mind 20% on Stone Glacier? :D

Thanks everyone for the great replies.

What struck me initially was the low recommended load on these packs, it seems I can quite easily overload them. Very nice with waterproofing though.

My buddy and his GF have the hyperlite, you can do 80-90lbs... maybe more 🤷‍♂️ They worked for packing out caribou and elk.

Honestly, a lot of the hunting packs are rated to some ridiculous weight but really around 100lb is the max you would want to pack out and 65-85 is a more reasonable upper range.

IMO the hunting packs are great and well worth the $ for hunting when you go from 45 or 50 lbs to adding a game bag full of meat on top thats why they are at the higher $ amount
but for hiking and camping its a bit over kill I have both and use my hunting pack for hunting and camping for camping just my 2cents

Yeah big time.

I used to carry my hunting pack while out w/ my daughter backpacking. I took it out for a week on the Appalachian Trail with a buddy who had an Osprey of similar size that was MUCH lighter and just as comfortable.

Check out an Osprey in a similar sized pack and because it isn’t designed for such heavy loads it’ll be lighter weight.

I’m SUPER happy I did, especially for longer trips.

Yeah big time.

I used to carry my hunting pack while out w/ my daughter backpacking. I took it out for a week on the Appalachian Trail with a buddy who had an Osprey of similar size that was MUCH lighter and just as comfortable.

Check out an Osprey in a similar sized pack and because it isn’t designed for such heavy loads it’ll be lighter weight.

I’m SUPER happy I did, especially for longer trips.

An osprey is almost to the gram the same weight as an SG of equivalent size.
5.44lbs SG to 5.42lb Osprey. The difference is price.

1580848244713.png

1580848289825.png

1580848275099.png

Ha well I guess that tells me I need to upgrade my hunting pack it’s too heavy!!

Things change fast... people are always commenting about a piece of gear and I'm like, no way that's true and then I realized the version I have of that product is 10 years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back