New dog journey...

1_pointer

I'll probably keep this thread running posting updates and asking questions as I try my hand for the first time with a hunting dog. As I've posted previously, the wife agreed to a pudelpointer. The pups were born last week. 5 in the litter and all males. Yesterday they had their dew claws removed and tails docked. Not sure which one we'll be bringing home around Christmas, but one of these little guys will be coming to Indiana!

You willl love the Pudelpointer. I by no means am an expert on bird dogs but growing up with Brittanys, spending alot of field time around Labs, (both pointing and retrieving) I found that none compare to the temperment, drive and personality of Pudelpointers. Moxie, my Pudelpointer is 10 months old and an absolute doll. She travels well, learns quickly and hunts like its her last day. Excited to see the progression with your pup!

Have fun! A good friend of mine has a male that is about year and a half now. The dog has great hunting instincts and is a natural companion to people, very good with his young daughters. He does have a ton of energy and unfortunately our bird hunting pretty much stinks so he doesn't get on as many birds as he probably should.

I say pick the brown one. ;)
It's probably too early to tell what their individual temperment will be but I bet they will all be good. Congrats on the new pup. You'll have to convert some of your elk time into sharpie & sage grouse hunting.

I've been thinking about getting one of those as my next dog. Gonna have to wait for a few of the current ones to pass away first though

I've been waiting for this! Can't wait to see how your dog grows and develops.

Make sure you feed them the right chow when they are young. I started Sparky out on the most balanced nutritional puppy chow and boy what a difference it makes. Sparky is a hunting fool....

imagejpg1-10.jpg

That picture brings back memories. My current Lab was from a friend's litter with the pups identified the same way with different colored yarn collars.
I liked the female with the Blue yarn from the start, took her home and named her Blu cuz that's what I had been calling her for the first seven weeks.

ENJOY!

I don't know if it's possible to be more excited than TMOB and our boys. Reading a couple of different books on dog training, I'm getting a bit nervous that I'll be able to uphold my end of the deal. It'll definitely be an adventure. Thanks votes of confidence.

Definitely the brown one...unless Shrapnel has pups outa Sparky for sale.

Going to be a Christmas to remember at the Pointer house!
Good luck and have fun. Keep us posted on progress...

Your pup will appreciate you more if you move a bit further west. Good luck! I like your choice of breed. Not as ugly as mine, though :)

Congrats on the new pup. It is certainly time consuming but very rewarding. We got our lab in June. She is coming along nicely and is now 7 months. It is pretty cool to watch them figure things out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2,467
We brought our first bird dog home almost three years ago. She was our first attempt at training and today we are just thrilled with how she has turned out. We certainly are no experts, but we got some good advice. The first was to make sure obedience training was solid before anything else, and it has been very true. The other good advice was to get them in birdy country as much as possible. Once they know what the game is, It is amazing what they figure out on their own. It will be a lot of work but totally worth it.

The very nice weather over the weekend allowed Mom to take the boys outside for some fun!

I'm not sure which one is ours yet, but this guy, with the red collar (standing) is our favorite.

More of them...

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back