New 300 Sherman build

Addicting

38DAF136-403D-470E-98F8-BDA55A747144.jpeg
I got asked about my rifle build, so I figured I would share it.

Black Nitrited Rem 700LA trued and mated to a 24” fluted Bartlein #3 1-9 twist. I had them put a Shrewd muzzle brake on it. It has a Timney Hit Trigger and Wyatt’s extended center feed box. The stock is a Kuiu hydro dipped McMillan Game Warden edge fill. It has Leupold back country rings holding a 4.5-14x40 30mm Windplex VX3i. Total weight of the rifle is 8.5lbs.

The gun was a collection of parts I had assembled over the last two years. Straight Jacket Armory put it all together for me.

I had it throated for the 181G Hammer Hunters. It should send them a little over 3000fps.

My brass shows up on Friday, I will post some groups later this summer after I have the fire forming done.

Last edited:
Great build and looks good also! Well thought out with the 9 twist also.

Sharp looking rifle. How do you like the game warden stock? Pretty sure when the time is right that's what I'm putting on my coyote rifle. I know nothing about that cartridge. Did you use the higher mounts because the cheek piece is too low or just personal preference?

Sharp looking rifle. How do you like the game warden stock? Pretty sure when the time is right that's what I'm putting on my coyote rifle. I know nothing about that cartridge. Did you use the higher mounts because the cheek piece is too low or just personal preference?

The game warden has a larger forend than the game scout so depending on barrel contour either would work.
The game hunter is a combo of the hunter rear, game scout grip and forend.
The game stalker is another nice stock with a more traditional grip.
I prefer the game hunter due to the cheek piece.
Apologies for derailing the thread!

The mounts I had left from a different rifle I sold. I got the Game Warden because it was a new clearance 450 shipped. One of there dealers wanted to switch their build platform to a different stock so they Sold all their inventory.

That’s a sweet looking setup and an interesting cartridge. I’d love to see a range report after you get to shoot it a bit.

Did a little load developing / velocity testing today with RWS FF brass.

RL26 and a 208g Amax was good at 2900fps.
RL26 and 180g Partitions were at 3000 FPS.

Both of these loads were one Basic speed over a 5 shots. They didn’t hit pressure, just ran out of case capacity. So 26 may be just burning out the end of the barrel

I would like to get my hands on some 200g Accubonds and some 196g Hammers.

RL23 and 180g Is significantly slower with the 180g partition. I have 5 more to test tomorrow up to 64.25g. From the first 5, I don’t expect it to go past 2950.

Both of these loads were one Basic speed over a 5 shots. They didn’t hit pressure, just ran out of case capacity. So 26 may be just burning out the end of the barrel

RL23 and 180g Is significantly slower with the 180g partition. I have 5 more to test tomorrow up to 64.25g. From the first 5, I don’t expect it to go past 2950.

Dang that's right up there with the 300WinMag but with a little bit of class mixed in. NICE!

Efficiency....

That’s some good speed!! Rich sure has some cool case designs. RL26 is a great powder. IMR7977 and H1000 are a few others to look at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back