Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Custom Rifle Completion

Spitz

This gun was just about two years in the making. I've preferred to have one accurate rifle that will run the gambit on big game rather than having several rifles of different calibers. That has allowed me to sell and upgrade what I use over the years. I mulled over calibers for quite some time, reading thousands of opinions on which is the best. Ultimately I decided on a 7mm STW, which I figured had enough power for everything I wanted to do while also having manageable recoil in a somewhat lightweight rifle.

I ordered the parts myself and had a delay in the process with a re-order on McMillan stock after getting the first one in my hands and realizing it was to bulky and oriented more toward a tactical build. I went with McMillan Hunter stock in edge fill, a Stiller Predator action, a Timney trigger and a Bartlein #3 heavy sporter barrel. I chose to go with a blind magazine for rigidity in the stock and because I like the look.

I had a few builders in mind as I was going through the process. Ultimately I decided on Robert Gradous due to his reputation and after speaking with him. Even though I don't plan on it, with my tendancy to buy and sell things, I chose to go with someone whose work was in such demand that I wouldn't lose value based on my gunsmith choice.

It took a little over a year once the parts were in the gunsmith's hands, but I was more than happy with the final product. I had the barrel fluted and went with a flat dark earth cerakote color that ended up matching well to the olive with tan speckles stock color.

I haven't fully decided on a scope yet. For now it wears a Vortex that has performed well. I received the gun just before my Colorado deer hunt last October and took my buck with a single shot at 502 yards.

2 Quick questions,

Who made the rail for the bi-pod mount? That's a pretty nice looking little rail?

Also, How do you like that Bartlein tube? I'm debating calibers and such for a custom build and failry certain that it will use a Bartlein barrel in a #3. How's it treated you so far?

Thanks!!

Thanks guys!

The rail is a 2" SRS rail from Seekins Precision. I went back and forth a lot as to whether I wanted a rail or just a swivel stud. I'm still undecided as to whether it was the right choice or not. Mostly depends on which type of bipod you'd prefer to attach.

The Bartlein has been great. The wait time on the barrel was 6 months but there's no doubt it's as good as they come.

Last edited:
Just curious which McMillan stock did you originally order that was too bulky for what your intended purposes are?

Btw, I'm waiting on a custom rifle myownself that will have a Bartlein barrel that will be chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. For the most part I don't hunt elk, but if I needed to shoot one I'm sure the 6.5 is up to the task.

Good choices all Mike....well worth the lead times.

7STW is where I'm going when I re-barrel the 7RUM.

Nice looking rifle, Spitz. I am guessing it shoots just as well.

Just curious what type of bipod are you using with that rail, and have you had any issues with the rail biting your forward hand when shooting unsupported?

Spitz- Well thought out and executed! Congrats on a dandy rifle. Curious as to what it weighs and what bullets you use?

Good choices all Mike....well worth the lead times.

7STW is where I'm going when I re-barrel the 7RUM.
You should be thinking 26 Nosler! ;) Might want to try to feed some STWs through that before you rebarrel. It's a bit more svelte of a cartridge, IIRC, than the RUM.

Might want to try to feed some STWs through that before you rebarrel. It's a bit more svelte of a cartridge, IIRC, than the RUM.

:)Yes, re-chamber/barrel....the .264 doesn't pique my psyche like the 7MM's;)

Long actions with a bolt face .Dia of .540 +/-
257 Weatherby, 264 Win Mag, 270 weatherby Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Weatherby Mag, 7 STW,
7mm Rem Ultra Mag, 300 H & H, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 RUM, 303 Brit,
8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 340 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H & H, 375 Weatherby,
375 RUM, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Win Mag, and the 458 Lott

I don't typically carry a bipod in the field. I've always just used a backpack or a tripod to shoot from. The exception is antelope hunting, and for that I like the Stoney Point. For practice I shoot from an Atlas and that was the main reason for the picatinny rail on the forend. It does come back almost 2" from the stock swivel stud, but I have not noticed any interference with my forward hand.

The rifle came in at 7 lbs. 2 oz with rings on it.

So far I've been shooting Berger 168 hunting VLDs. As the gun was completed literally a week before my hunt, Robert Gradous, who shoots the STW himself, loaded 50 rounds and used the first load he tried, which is consistent at 1/2 MOA. He promised better accuracy, but I've been happy with where it's at and I am not enough of a reloader to tinker. Hopefully I can change that in the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back