Caribou Gear Tarp

What scope for my new lightweight build

I REALLY wish the gen 2's came in 3-12. Among the very few things I've regretted selling were a pair of 3-12 LRHS. Just a hell of an extended range hunting scope.

We're lucky to have the great options that we do these days.
I'd be happy with the 4.5-18 BUT I prefer an illuminated FFP scope if I'm hunting with it though with 4.5x it may not be an issue.

Anyone have experience with zeiss v4 4-16x44 zmoa-2? My local scheels has them marked down to 750
I have on on my 300WinMag. Lighter weight than a lot of scopes that I've used. Glass is good, capped windage so no risk of bumping it. Zero stop great but be sure to save the tiny torx tool otherwise you're SOL if you need to make changes. Adjustment seems to be spot on. They honor a 5 year no fault warranty and a lifetime craftsmanship warranty however they may choose not to fully honor the lifetime part when the optics are old (as per a rokslide thread). I guess I'll cross that bridge if necessary.

I went to every store in great falls today trying to get hands on with different scopes. Leupold/Vortex was everywhere, found a 5-25 shv, z5 Swarovski, few nx8. No trijicon or zeiss, and my local scheels said they can’t even order nxs anymore. So so much for not buying something sight unseen.

What kind of variations. What yardages are you killing game at? mtmuley
I had Vortex before. Things like adjusting zero a bit between shooting sessions, also, they wouldn't adjust in the values on the turret. I also had a Viper loose zero after a flight.

Now my rifle stays zeroed, even after airline or road travel. I can adjust off a reticle reading if I'm changing loads or something, and it moves what it says it should. No tapping turrets or anything like that. Like @SnowyMountaineer , I'm not going back.

As far as shooting game, despite having shot 400-600 yds on targets to prepare over the last few years, I'm on a happy streak of shooting animals under 100 yds, which I have no problem with.

I also have a 3-9 SWFA, which performs very similarly, on a 223 bolt gun. It's a great option as well.

I had Vortex before. Things like adjusting zero a bit between shooting sessions, also, they wouldn't adjust in the values on the turret. I also had a Viper loose zero after a flight.

Now my rifle stays zeroed, even after airline or road travel. I can adjust off a reticle reading if I'm changing loads or something, and it moves what it says it should. No tapping turrets or anything like that. Like @SnowyMountaineer , I'm not going back.

As far as shooting game, despite having shot 400-600 yds on targets to prepare over the last few years, I'm on a happy streak of shooting animals under 100 yds, which I have no problem with.

I also have a 3-9 SWFA, which performs very similarly, on a 223 bolt gun. It's a great option as well.
If the 3-9 were actually available I’d have them in the running as well. Emailed Swfa and they had no help for when backorders would be filled and I need a scope now to send to the smith to fit the bolt handle too

If the 3-9 were actually available I’d have them in the running as well. Emailed Swfa and they had no help for when backorders would be filled and I need a scope now to send to the smith to fit the bolt handle too
I bought mine used off Ebay. SWFA had them in stock a month or so ago, and sold out quick.

I've emailed Nightforce asking for a 3-10 SHV that's FFP with a decent reticle. That would be nirvana as far as I'm concerned.

Not long ago a pile of backordered 3-9s were shipped out. They were even in stick. They're popular and if they had a zero stop and capped windage they'd be near impossible to get because I'd buy several.

Same with this one

I REALLY wish the gen 2's came in 3-12. Among the very few things I've regretted selling were a pair of 3-12 LRHS. Just a hell of an extended range hunting scope.

We're lucky to have the great options that we do these days.

I have both a 3-12 (thank you, @Greenhorn) and a 4.5-18. The 4.5-18 is only an ounce or two heavier than the 3-12 but it sure is long.

Not long ago a pile of backordered 3-9s were shipped out. They were even in stick. They're popular and if they had a zero stop and capped windage they'd be near impossible to get because I'd buy several.

Same with this one
My problem is I need the scope now for the smith to contour the bolt to fit. Downside of procrastination but how it goes I guess. Right now I'm debating going full crazy and getting an nxs 2.5-10 or shv 3-10. Trying to cap myself at 20ish ounces.

My problem is I need the scope now for the smith to contour the bolt to fit. Downside of procrastination but how it goes I guess. Right now I'm debating going full crazy and getting an nxs 2.5-10 or shv 3-10. Trying to cap myself at 20ish ounces.
I think the 2.5-10 would be a great choice and I've kicked around buying one for years. Another one I've been eyeing lately is a S&B 3-12 Klassik. I'm pretty sure there's a few guys around here that have experience with them

Online it said available at the great falls store but when I got there they said they dont carry zeiss at that store. Just checked online and they dont show the sale anymore either.

A light rifle with a 2 lb.+ scope would be pretty funny. I like the VX5hd. I have not heard anything negative from anyone that actually owns one yet, myself included. Schmalts has very good prices.

The VX-5HD's are great. I have 2 of them 3-15x 44 and 3-15x 56 both with Firedot Duplex.

Last edited:
I’d be considering the zeiss v4. 4-16x44 or 6-24x50. Had good luck with my two 6-24x50’s so far.

Well willpower gave out and I picked up a new nxs 2.5-10 off another swap page. Hopefully it balances well on the light rifle!
Good choice.

I like those or 3-9 SWFAs for light rifles. Mid weight rifles wear the LRTS or LRHS options. Have 3-12 LRTS, 4.5-18 LRTS, 4.5-18 LRHSi, and 4.5-18 LRHS2.

Well willpower gave out and I picked up a new nxs 2.5-10 off another swap page. Hopefully it balances well on the light rifle!
I got a deal on one a year or so ago. It's the first SFP scope I've had in more than a decade, but I have liked it thus far for a hunting scope. I still think I prefer my 3-12 LRTSi but it's close. The NXS is definitely more compact and svelte from an aesthetic standpoint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back