Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What scope for my new lightweight build

Remington92

Hi all, I'm sending my Colt light rifle off for the melvin / NULA treatment and while its gone I'm starting to shop for a scope upgrade. Budgets were tight when I got the rifle so I traded into a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16 to get through the season. Id like to upgrade into something a little nicer/ dependable/ and fitting of the build. Id like to stay lightweight and preferably with a max magnification of around 12-16x. 5yrs ago my answer would have been Leupold and done but I've had a run of bad luck with them and feel like a battered wife. In fact I have 2 Leupold options sitting that could go on this rifle but I'm rather gun shy. A VX3i 4.5-14 B&C or a VX3L 4.5-14x56 B&C with the curved bell.

In the past 5yrs I've had these all have to be sent in for repair work.
VXiii 3.5-10 (on 7rem mag BAR)
VXiii 2.75-7.5 (I think)(on a 45-70)
Vari x ii 2-7 (on Springfield 1903 30-06)
VX6hd 4-24 (on 300 RUM)

I read on other forums and Leupold hate seems very strong with similar issues but not here which surprises me.

Which brings me to the dilemma. Do I try to find something like a swfa 3-9, step up to Trijicon or NF, accept the weight of a Athlon helos 2-12, or role the dice again on one of my Leupolds?

Dont mean to start any fights over brands or reliability just worried if my reluctance is warranted from my experience and others or if I've just had sh!t luck and looking for something to explain it. Any other suggestions sub 1K would be appreciated as well.

Should say too I’m hoping Melvin’s folks can modify the bolt handle but clearance is very tight even with higher rings! Another plus Leupold has with smaller oculars.

Attachments

• IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 68711922287__9E4A2F49-6F5A-47CD-AA5D-9CD6AE5B0376.jpeg
    68711922287__9E4A2F49-6F5A-47CD-AA5D-9CD6AE5B0376.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
If you’re worried about it, trijicon or NF. They are bombproof. I always joke you could take the scope off and use it as a club, put it back on, and still have your zero. Probably not quite true but damn I have fallen hard on my nightforce lots and it never moves. However, they come with a weight penalty

If you’re worried about it, trijicon or NF. They are bombproof. I always joke you could take the scope off and use it as a club, put it back on, and still have your zero. Probably not quite true but damn I have fallen hard on my nightforce lots and it never moves. However, they come with a weight penalty
If the ocular on the trijcon wasn't so huge I'd have probably gone that route by now. Waiting to hear back if the smith can do anything to make more clearance but I doubt there's much they can do. May have to look around for a used nxs 2.5-10 or something I guess. Which NF you running?

If the ocular on the trijcon wasn't so huge I'd have probably gone that route by now. Waiting to hear back if the smith can do anything to make more clearance but I doubt there's much they can do. May have to look around for a used nxs 2.5-10 or something I guess. Which NF you running?
Nxs

I have an Athlon Helos 4-20 on my Browning. It's way heavy for a light setup like yours but so far so good. The 2-12 might be nice

Lots of questions would need to be answered though I imagine until you get the bolt clearance issue taken care of you may not have any room for a lot of scopes.
Turning dials or point and shoot? FFP or SFP?

Last edited:
Not quite the magnification you listed but I’ve done two light weight builds over the past couple years.

The Swaro Z3 in 3-9x36 weighs almost nothing and the glass is awesome. If I put together another one that would be my choice.

I have a Maven rs2 2-10 on my 308, also great glass, a little cheaper than the Swaro, still super light.

Hi all, I'm sending my Colt light rifle off for the melvin / NULA treatment and while its gone I'm starting to shop for a scope upgrade. Budgets were tight when I got the rifle so I traded into a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16 to get through the season. Id like to upgrade into something a little nicer/ dependable/ and fitting of the build. Id like to stay lightweight and preferably with a max magnification of around 12-16x. 5yrs ago my answer would have been Leupold and done but I've had a run of bad luck with them and feel like a battered wife. In fact I have 2 Leupold options sitting that could go on this rifle but I'm rather gun shy. A VX3i 4.5-14 B&C or a VX3L 4.5-14x56 B&C with the curved bell.

VX6hd 4-24 (on 300 RUM)

I read on other forums and Leupold hate seems very strong with similar issues but not here which surprises me.

Which brings me to the dilemma. Do I try to find something like a swfa 3-9, step up to Trijicon or NF, accept the weight of a Athlon helos 2-12, or role the dice again on one of my Leupolds?

Dont mean to start any fights over brands or reliability just worried if my reluctance is warranted from my experience and others or if I've just had sh!t luck and looking for something to explain it. Any other suggestions sub 1K would be appreciated as well.
I can tell you that my preference is to err on the side of durability and zero retention, and I can't see that ever changing.

I just put a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint on a lighter weight 280 AI. It is a nice scope (I have had one on a 223 for a while) and it weighs less than a pound. This scope is not set up for dialing but long range will not be the primary use of this rifle.

Last edited:

VX6hd 4-24 (on 300 RUM)

..the 3i 4.5x14 B&C would also work, but I like lumed reticles.

Anyone have experience with zeiss v4 4-16x44 zmoa-2? My local scheels has them marked down to 750

Vixen 4-16, I have 2 and will buy another for my win mod 70 in 300wsm which I'm picking up today. Not too long and about 14 Oz. You don't need to spend megabucks.

A light rifle with a 2 lb.+ scope would be pretty funny. I like the VX5hd. I have not heard anything negative from anyone that actually owns one yet, myself included. Schmalts has very good prices.

Anyone have experience with zeiss v4 4-16x44 zmoa-2? My local scheels has them marked down to 750
i have one on my .300 and i like it. Comparable, maybe a little better than VX3. Not Zeiss' top of the line glass, obviously. They also has an app that is pretty convenient to go along with it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back