Nevada - Three tags, unlimited fun

Looks like a great time, great write-up, and some really neat pics! I also have a boatload of deer points and might consider this hunt in a few years.

Looks like a great time, great write-up, and some really neat pics! I also have a boatload of deer points and might consider this hunt in a few years.

If remember correctly they had the late hunt in area 121. Even with a boatload of points that is a very tough draw for a non-res. This year there were only 2 non-res tags for that hunt.
If you draw that tag area 121 contains some great counrty and has some really nice bucks especially during the late hunts.

Last edited:
Spitz did a good job of telling the story. We could fill pages of humor that we experienced on this hunt. I am sure if you polled Mike, Matthew, Scott, and Marcus, they would unanimously vote that Randy impaling himself on a cactus was the comedy act of the hunt. For that matter, the comedy act of the season.

I'll try to explain.

After Matthew shot his buck, we did the normal congratulations, back slapping, story retelling, and notching of the tag. Then, a ton of photos. Marcus suggested we needed a "Mossback" photo (his term), which includes the entire crew. That means we need a wide angle lens, with the camera set up on a tripod and self-timer.

These pics will show the sequence of a three-shot self-timed set up. I am to sit on the right hand side of the pic, right next to Scott, where the vegetation in the image below was buried under a mix of grass.
DSC01477.JPG

You see that in the ten seconds from when I hit the shutter button to when the timer goes off, I have went from behind the camera, sat down next to Scott, and impaled a three-cactus cluster into my right butt cheek, my right hammy, and my right calf. By the time the first image is shot, I am already dancing and screaming. Matthew, being the consummate photographer stays focused while the rest of the crew looks to see what is the matter.
DSC01224.jpg

I am now screaming so loud that the entire crew turns to see a large cactus hanging off my pants. They are assessing the situation as to whether they should laugh of come to my rescue.
DSC01225.jpg

It is a split decision, with most the crew laughing hysterically, while Scott, ever the true friend and helpful Nebraska farm boy, starts toward my position for purposes of administering first aid. Note the two guys in the middle laughing the loudest. I'll remember that.
DSC01226.jpg

After Scott used my Gerber Centerdrive multi-plier to remove the cactus from my body, the question turned to, "How to you remove this many quills that have Randy's pants pinned to his hide?" It hurt, but with a good yank, my britches are no longer pinned to my leg. Spitz, knowing he had a good laugh at my expense, realizes that I might someday get revenge at his expense, so he starts to employ his considerable quill removal skills. And not wanting to "miss the shot," you see Marcus in the background filming the entire event.
DSC01228.jpg

As Mike works on the pin cushion that my butt and thigh have become, Scott looks on in disbelief. He comments something to the effect, "You ain't ever gonna get all of those out. Maybe they'll all work their way out by February." Not sure what is hurting more, the quills in my flesh or the pain when Mike jerks them free. Note that Matthew is not in the shot, as he is taking the images during breaks in his laughter. His day will come.
DSC01227.jpg

Finally, a half-hour later, and the largest and most painful quills removed, we get around to taking what Marcus titled "A Mossback shot."
DSC01229.jpg

It is now eleven days since, and this morning Mrs. Fin pulled a bunch of them that have festered and worked their way to the surface. My right butt looks like it has been shot with rock salt. I have one big one still festering in my right calf, right where my boot top rests. Irritating as hell. Hope to get it extracted before I head out deer hunting later this week.

Not sure if this will make the episode. Thanks to Marcus being quick on the camera, I am sure it will find its way as an outtake on YouTube, or somewhere.

Duluth Trading Company makes some great underwear, but it doesn't stop cactus quills.

HA! Now THAT is some funny chit right there, Randy. LMAO. Not laughing at you (not looking for retribution...), but at the event - highly doubt the memories of this hunt will ever fade!!!

Been there. My hunting partner, was not a real friend. My wife and daughter laughed outrageously when they performed the duty. They enjoyed and I hurt.

Agree, that is a true friend!

Looks like some great bucks and a great time. Can't wait to see the episodes. Congrats!

What wasn't mentioned is that we also did a podcast to go along with this episode. Podcast just went live earlier today!

A few more images, thanks to Marcus Hockett, showing how much fun we were having.

My favorite part of any hunt, "The guttin' and gillin'." I will beg you to allow me the joy of doing the field dressing. Most often, guys step away and let me have my fun.
MAH_0218.jpg

Pre-rut fat still in place.
MAH_0301.jpg

Mule deer ham, anyone?
MAH_9930.jpg

Not a lake below and behind us. Rather, a layer of fog down in the low country that at times would blow in and out, obscuring our glassing.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.31.50 PM.jpg

Leaving to our favorite glassing location with some remaining light, thanks to Nevada's rule that shooting hours end at sunset, not a half-hour after sunset.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.37.19 PM.jpg

My promise to Mike that he would shoot a whopper sometime after noon on the second to last day.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.40.29 PM.jpg

End of Day Two. Starting to get a bit worried.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.41.46 PM.jpg

Two guys acting way more serious than they really were.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.43.28 PM.jpg

Me explaining to the camera how big a buck must be to get the name "Big HanK."
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.45.49 PM.jpg

Scott explaining to Mike that the current plan just can't go awry.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.48.09 PM.jpg

Not sure what has us laughing at this moment, but given the continual banter of the hunt, odds are it was a jest to try coerce Matthew into proposing to his girlfriend.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.53.15 PM.jpg

Me explaining to Matthew and Marcus how this plan is going to work out and Matthew will fill his tag. Told you so, guys.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 8.55.47 PM.jpg

When we use hand signals, this is the "Bullseye, shoot now!" signal.
Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 9.03.35 PM.jpg

Great bucks guys, congrats on the successful Nevada hunt. Can't wait to see the episode and hope those outtakes make it to you tube.

I will listen to the podcast tonight on my way home. Great looking mature animals harvested on public lands. Looking to use up my eight bonus points for mule deer in Nevada next year so hopefully I can score a nice mature muley as well. Congrats.

Sorry to hear abt the cactus. Nothing like having to rely on so called friends while you are at your most vulnerable and needing help.
I laid prone on a prickly pear to line up a shot a few years back. But my stomach is not exactly a vulnerable spot and I got to pick them
out on my own. I bet the drive back home was miserable. I always bring my foam pad now days to sit anywhere out there. By the way,
who picked out the spot for you to sit?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back