Nevada non-resident 2021

I don’t think anyone said that it COULDN’T happen. They’ve all said that you should EXPECT it to happen. For most hunts in NV, a NR can apply their whole life, and have a fair chance that they never draw.
Expect to? That's foolish. I'm 70. I did not expect to draw a bull tag in my home state EVER. I expected to draw in AZ this year. Didn't. I expect to draw Utah. Fat chance. New Mexico? It's a sure thing. Maybe. I guess a better word for me with the above states is hopeful. But I haven't booked hotel rooms just yet.

Shout out to the Nevada Department of Wildlife (and the Utah Division of Wildlife Services.) I already received my NV printed license and 2021 mule deer tag in the US mail for the upcoming October hunt. They have their act together. Awesome job!

I have also had great customer service from the Utah Division of Wildlife Services with all of the recent tags I have drawn in the Beehive State over the past few years.

Thanks to all at these different departments. Your work and services are appreciated although we probably don’t say it enough.

See ya real soon, TheGrayRider.

Expect to? That's foolish. I'm 70. I did not expect to draw a bull tag in my home state EVER. I expected to draw in AZ this year. Didn't. I expect to draw Utah. Fat chance. New Mexico? It's a sure thing. Maybe. I guess a better word for me with the above states is hopeful. But I haven't booked hotel rooms just yet.
I meant to say “shouldn’t” expect it to happen. Missed the “ ‘nt”.

You might be surprised how many people apply there under the impression that if they just stick it out, they WILL draw that NV tag they’re dreaming of, and a few people here fuel the fire with posts like “my friend drew with just one point”. Yes, people draw with very few points. It’s not a preference state. BUT the odds are so low that there are tags in NM and ID with better single year draw odds than if you applied twenty years consecutively for most of the tags in NV(excluding some deer tags). I’ve said it more times than I care to count. If you’re applying in states that you CAN EXPECT TO HUNT, and you can afford to add NV, and understand that you will likely never hunt there, then by all means, add it to your list of states.

Last edited:
My only frustration with the SYSTEM in NV is the squaring of points. Most of the rest of their system is fairly good. That said, their tag numbers are such that per dollar spent, the odds are terrible. I budget $2k/yr total for applications, tags and fuel, and what’s left over goes toward updating equipment. I accept that there are a few tags that are essentially OIL that would put me over budget, and that my NM app causes me to temporarily go over budget while I wait for my refund. When it’s all said and done, for my personal goals and budget, NV is too costly for something that has a better chance of never happening that it does of happening. I can hunt muledeer elsewhere and be very happy, so once that’s out, there isn’t much left for me in NV that has good draw odds. It’s not that I’m frustrated at the state, it just doesn’t make sense for me to apply there until my hunting budget increases substantially.
I tend to like the squaring. It gives the people who have applied year after year with a better probability of drawing a tag, while giving the low point holder a shot at drawing a coveted tag. I have been much luckier than I should have been in Nevada.

I somehow always draw at least tag in Nevada (even if it's just a doe tag), but never more than two. The thrill every year is the chance your name is called for one of the sheep tags, mountain goat, bear, PIW or Silver State, or your #1 swing for the fences type hunt.

I tend to like the squaring. It gives the people who have applied year after year with a better probability of drawing a tag, while giving the low point holder a shot at drawing a coveted tag. I have been much luckier than I should have been in Nevada.

I somehow always draw at least tag in Nevada (even if it's just a doe tag), but never more than two. The thrill every year is the chance your name is called for one of the sheep tags, mountain goat, bear, PIW or Silver State, or your #1 swing for the fences type hunt.
Even without squaring people who have applied for many years without drawing see their odds improving. With squaring, it happens much more slowly.

Let’s say you apply this year, and I started applying 5 years ago. You have zero points, and I have 5.

Year 1 squared. unsquared
You 1 chance. 1 chance
Me 26 chances. 6 chances
3.8% my odds. 17% my odds

Year 2 squared. Unsquared
You 2 chances. 2 chances
Me 37 chances. 7 chances
5.4% my odds. 29%my odds

Year 3 squared Unsquared
5 chances. 3 chances
50 chances 8 chances
10% my odds. 38% my odds

year 4 squared. Unsquared
10 chances 4 chances
65 chances 9 chances
15% my odds 44% my odds

Year 5 squared. Unsquared
17 chances. 5 chances
82 chances. 10 chances
21% my odds 50 % my odds

Lets jump to year 20 and say your son starts applying.

year 20 squared. Unsquared
Son. 1 chance. 1 chance
You 362 chances. 20 chances
Me 626 chances 26 chances
Son .16% my odds. 3.8% my odds
You 58% my odds. 77% my odds

Most people can draw doe tags in their home state. Nots very many of us are using a doe deer tag(along with all the fuel) to justify the price of out of state applications.

IF there is an out of state tag that really interests you, and YOU CAN EXPECT TO DRAW IN THE FUTURE(not the case for most tags in NV), AND you can frequently draw antlerless tags in the same unit FOR THE SAME GENERAL TIME OF YEAR, then that’s a very useful tactic for learning a unit. If the doe tag is at a different time of year, then going once or twice to learn the road is about as much usefulness as you’ll get out of it.

Last edited:
No doubt NV is tough and realistically, a NR needs some luck to draw there. When you draw though, the hunt can be outstanding. I hit the lottery there last year for elk. Saw about 60 bulls in 8 days and lots of 6 points. A true OIL hunt in many aspects. That hunt alone will forever make it worth all the non-refundable licenses that I've bought and will buy.

No doubt NV is tough and realistically, a NR needs some luck to draw there. When you draw though, the hunt can be outstanding. I hit the lottery there last year for elk. Saw about 60 bulls in 8 days and lots of 6 points. A true OIL hunt in many aspects. That hunt alone will forever make it worth all the non-refundable licenses that I've bought and will buy.
You need some luck most states. You need a LOT of luck in NV unless you’re talking deer...and then you need to commit 5-10yrs(or good luck) for good RIFLE hunts.

Most NV tags are going to be a great experience if you draw. They manage for trophies. They produce trophies.

I would argue that they could increase tag numbers substantially and not decrease the number of trophies taken per year. They would however decrease the percentage of hunts that produced trophies(same number of trophies/more hunters<before) and thus they would reduce perception of units, reduce AVERAGE quality of the harvest, and increase crowding. They offer an incredible experience for most tags. It’s just really hard to get one.

Last edited:
You need some luck most states. You need a LOT of luck in NV unless you’re talking deer...and then you need to commit 5-10yrs(or good luck) for good RIFLE hunts.

Most NV tags are going to be a great experience if you draw. They manage for trophies. They produce trophies.

I would argue that they could increase tag numbers substantially and not decrease the number of trophies taken per year. They would however decrease the percentage of hunts that produced trophies(same number of trophies/more hunters<before) and thus they would reduce perception of units, reduce AVERAGE quality of the harvest, and increase crowding. They offer an incredible experience for most tags. It’s just really hard to get one.
You keep re-enforcing the reason non-resident hunters should have ZERO say in big game management of any state.
Nevada has the least number of big game animals of most western states. There is a very good reason the tag numbers are so low even for residents.

Nevada mule deer populations are on a steady decline. We have seen large tag increases in the areas where this is not the case.

If you live in Nevada and want to hunt a few big game animals a year, better look out of state.

You keep re-enforcing the reason non-resident hunters should have ZERO say in big game management of any state.
Nevada has the least number of big game animals of most western states. There is a very good reason the tag numbers are so low even for residents.
As long as they allow NR’s to buy tags, NR’s will have some level of influence.

About 12,000 NR’s apply for 640 any weapon mule deer buck tags. That’s about 19yrs to clear them from the pool. By squaring points it skews the distribution heavily toward those that have been in the longest, so if you decide to enter, you should assume it will be closer to year 19 than to year 1, and be ready for it to be year 30, or 40. Assuming that applicants begin applying at 18yrs old, apply until they die, and have an average life expectancy of 78, about 200 of them will die each year, and 640 of them will draw.

About 7,000 NR’s apply for about 240 any weapon bull elk tags. That’s about 29yrs to clear all applicants. Due to squaring, you should assume going in that it will be closer to year 29 than to year 1, and could easily be year 50 or 60. Again, assuming they enter at 18yrs old, stay in until death and have a life expectancy of 78yrs, about 117 will die, and 240 will draw.

Changing the point system won’t get you more tags in NV, but it would change the distribution to be more even. I still would not enter at this point in time, because it’s still substantial part of my hunting budget that would likely never pay off. Again, I’m not that interested in NV mule deer.

Pointing out that they manage for quality, do so successfully, and that even though they could probably increase tag numbers and still have their top-end that it would decrease the experience for most hunters is A) not even a suggestion that they change anything about they way they manage their herds, and B) an acknowledgment that changing their management strategy would come with some costs.

Yet again. You really need to work on your reading comprehension.

This thread is ridiculous. The personal jabs over a draw odds discussion are hilarious.
You can't argue with numbers. And especially for ground floor NR applicants, the numbers put the value of Nevada down there with Oregon & Utah. It's simple math. Case closed.

Good luck to all Hunt Talkers in the lotteries. (y)

Nevada is definitely a long term strategy for me. I don’t buy a hunting license so no points. I put in with 0 pets every year. Super cheap that way. And I’m an archery only guy. I like I still have a chance there. I’ve drawn 1 deer tag out of 4 times applying.
Matt
Was it the deer tag in your profile pic cuz holy moly that’s a beautiful deer.

I started applying in 2008 in Nevada, in 2012 I drew deer with 3 points, but turned it back in as I couldn't hunt it. In 2013 drew bull elk with 4 points, and in 2016 I drew elk again with 2 points. Don't let the people scare you out of applying in Nevada. It is guaranteed that you won't draw if you don't apply.
I have EXTREMELY limited experience in this, but I applied this year for the first time. I care more about filling my freezer for the year over big racks (not that I don’t enjoy chasing those as well), and was blessed to draw a NR archery tag this year for antlerless. Looking forward to getting out and scouting a new area (zones 78, 105-107, & 121). Good luck!

More points IS a better CHANCE. It isn’t just perceived. It is real. There were a few other comments in your post that I’m not going to address that do not quite jive with how probability and statistics work.

The take away on NV should be, the odds are low, no matter how many points you have. If you want to hunt apply elsewhere. If you’re already applying elsewhere and going hunting, and you’d like a chance at NV, then by all means apply there. You may get lucky.

There are some archery deer tags with decent odds if that’s your thing.
That’s the main reason I got into bow hunting in the first place. More opportunity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back