Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nevada deer

BOWUNTR

We hunted a new area this year. I did a ton of research and one of my partners, Doug (Rosinbag), did a banzi scouting trip to the area a few weeks ago. We were good to go... On the 9th we had an outfitter drop us at our base camp which was beyond trails end at 9k...

From there we hiked up thru a pass, and then another pass so we could watch two different drainages. Bucks in both of them as well as other hunters. To make this story shorter, we did dawn to dusk glassing for two days and never started a stalk. On the third day we made a command decision to hike up a verticle 800ft wall to access some virgin country that was not accessible by trail. No doubt this was going to lead us to mule deer heaven... not. Doug killed the biggest buck we saw in all the drainages we looked in to. Doug is on another backpack hunt right now. I will let him tell his story when he gets back. DJ and I watched... and filmed the whole thing... awesome...

Here's Doug's buck...

Doug shot his buck off the top... way off the top... the three of us packed it back up the mountain and over to a snow bank...

We spent one more day at the top and then packed everything back to base camp...

Last edited:
We hunted out of base camp and found two different drainages holding bucks... One basin had a couple bruisers. DJ gave it hell on a nice 4 by but the wind shifted while waiting at 20 yards for the buck to stand. The following day I made it to 20 yards of a 30-32" 4 by when the wind swirled and blew him out of the country. We had afternoon monsoons every afternoon.... so right before the late afternoon reliable thermals would come in, the monsoons would start and make the wind unpredictable.

On the last full day, DJ and I put a good 4 by to bed. It was DJ's turn to stalk... but he deferred to me. Not sure if it was the mountain that scared him or he was just being a true friend... probably both. In order to get to this buck I was going to have to drop 900', go around a mountain, and then up the back side, 700', to come in over the top. Then have to do it in reverse to get back to camp... a 4 hours round trip!!! We were glassing the buck at over a mile away.

I gave DJ a kiss on the cheek (jk) and took off... I actually waited til late afternoon to get a more consistant wind. I came over the top and slid in to position to where I could see two bedded does. I knew the buck was bedded close and would have to wait til he had the munchies and got up. About 30 minutes later he walks out into an opening and I sent a razor sharp Muzzy in his direction. 100 yards later I was standing next to a nice 4x4 with 3" eyeguards and a 5" non typical sticker coming off his burr.

This is how the blood trail started... a crimson tree...

DJ gave it hell and got close to putting it together. He was humbled by his 193" monster muley he got last year. We were both satisfied with our performance in those mts... 96 years between us! Doug on the other hand is at another level... a true mountain man. He took off on Thursday with close to 100 pounds in his pack so he could go see his family for a couple days before his next backcountry hunt. Great hunt... can't wait for next year... Oh wait, I'm leaving in a couple weeks for the Colorado high country... Ed F

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back