Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nevada bucks

HUNTNNW

My wife and I applied in NV again and not wanting to wait on trophy units and just wanting to hunt somewhere new and have fun. I narrowed it down to 5 units that had good draw odds and areas that offered some steep remote terrain to limit people . We drew our 3 rd choice and the hardest to draw of the 5 . 4 to 1 odds. We loaded up and got down there 4 days before it opened and my wife glassed up a group of bucks 3 days before it opened with one nice 4 and she wanted it. Went back in 1 more time and couldbt turn him up. Opening am we started hiking 1 1/2 hrs before light to get to out vantage point to hopefully glass up her buck. We got settled in and she found 3 bucks below us at 500 yards with a mature crabby 4x4 in the group . She said she would shoot him if we could get on him. I told her to watch them and see where they bed and I'll continue to glass for the other 4x4. 20 min went by and I found him in the same spot. We immediately packed up our stuff and made our way to him. We had to drop 2k ft in elevation and over 2 ridges . Finally snuck into range and he bedded at 251 yards with no shot. We sat behind a sage bush in the sun cooking for 3 hrs waiting he finally stood at 1 pm and she made a perfect shot and dropped.

Next morning found us kinda sleeping in after the pack out the day before . I was glassing up a couple miles to the top of the mountain and spotted 2 bucks with one having deep forks. Couldbt really see them very well due to wind and heat waves building. Later that day we moved up the mountain and found them again and they were still to far to do anything about that night , but I decided I would shoot him if I got the opportunity . We questioned ourselves if we could even physically get to him and pack it out. As we walked off the mountain I decided I would go after him in the am. We hit the trail 2 hrs before light and gained 2,500 ft in elevation and got in close to where he had been. We could not find a deer. We decided to move down on to a ridge that gave us a full view of the basin and my wife found them feeding right below where we had been. Bucks moved into a big open draw and bedded . I stalked 1,500 yards or so and came over a rock pile to see them bedded at 178 yards .. He stood and walked up the hill I stopped him and dropped him in his tracks . This hunt was a blast and had a lot of fun. We never saw a hunter out hiking all road hunters.

Totally awesome!!! You guys did great. Thanks for sharing your hunt...

How is it that you draw a 3rd choice with tougher odds? I don't know that Nevada system......how does that work?

Nevada draws your name .. They then start with your 1st choice to see if there's any tags and move down your selections .

Wow, what a couple of great bucks and it sounds like you most definitely earned those trophies! That's very cool that you and your wife hunt together like that, congrats on a great hunting adventure.

Well done indeed! I would love to see the road hunters faces as they drove by your camp and saw those two bucks hanging!

Holy Smokes, awesome results from a 3rd choice tag!! You guys earned em for sure, and so cool to see your bride working just as hard at it as you!

Congrats to both of you on a couple of great bucks. There are really no bad units in NV all you have to do is draw the tag, that's why I wonder about the logic of people applying only for the toughest to draw areas and complaining about not drawing a tag for 5-10 years. As you mentioned, hiking a mile or two away from the road eliminates probably 80% of other hunters.

Sounds like your wife is quite the spotter! Congrats, on two really nice bucks, and thank you for sharing.

Back