Nevada 072 Jarbidge

Alaskan

Hey guys,
After many years of applying I finally drew a nevada tag.

I drew an archery elk tag for 072 Jarbidge and was wondering if anyone has done this hunt diy? I really want to do this hunt on my own with help from a couple buddies.

If you have done this hunt on your own, did you come in from the East or the South? Did you have any success? I look forward to your comments. PM me if you feel you need to

Thanks!

Really this is your first post on here and no introduction or anything? Good luck getting help from here

Sorry, my apologies.....

Well, I am a long time bow hunter currently living in Washington. Washington is a tough place to hunt when it comes to quality tags, so I have been looking elsewhere. Nevada has been a state that I have been putting in for years and finally drew an amazing tag, yet, don't want to hire an outfitter. I too have been on this site for quite sometime, but haven't posted. Most of my comments/suggestions have been private emails. I posted on this site because its "ON YOUR OWN ADVENTURES", and i am trying to do just that.

Alaskan,

I know nothing about that area but I did just read an article about it recently, I think, in Bugle Magazine. It sounds like an awesome place to have the chance to hunt. Congrats on the tag!

I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll find a few people willing to lend you a hand, and you'll have a great hunt! Please post how your hunt went when you return! Kudos on wanting to do it on your own.

What an awesome area for elk. Great unit, lots of elk and should be fairly easy DIY! You shouldn't have any trouble finding elk. Good luck and post your hunt.

If you do a search there are a few topics about the area that might help.

well I would be looking at elk mountain area. There a lot of elk in there early season but seem to move after black powder. Just get of the roads and look around shouldn't have trouble finding bulls. The bugle article said that at least one 400" bull gets pulled out of those units yearly. Thick patches of aspens hide large numbers of elk. You may want to check out O'neil basin I have never hunted that part of the unit but seems a lot of elk are in that part of the unit as well. Oh and bring rain gear because in late August crazy thunder cells come ripping up from the south east. Good luck pm for more info.

Jarbidge

Yeah I checked out that article in Bugle. What a great little gem this place is!

O'Neil basin is to the East from the maps I looked at. I'm wondering how much access is on that east side. I have been looking at maps and Google earth and it looks like there are some great spots to glass as long as the roads aren't locked due to private ranch's.

I would get the Jarbidge Wilderness map and call the bio. Sounds like she's pretty dialed in on the elk.

Beautiful country form what little I've seen of it, you should have an outstanding hunt.

well I would be looking at elk mountain area. There a lot of elk in there early season but seem to move after black powder. Just get of the roads and look around shouldn't have trouble finding bulls. The bugle article said that at least one 400" bull gets pulled out of those units yearly. Thick patches of aspens hide large numbers of elk. You may want to check out O'neil basin I have never hunted that part of the unit but seems a lot of elk are in that part of the unit as well. Oh and bring rain gear because in late August crazy thunder cells come ripping up from the south east. Good luck pm for more info.

Jeremy, Elk Mountain is on the North Eastern end correct?

Sorry, my apologies.....

Well, I am a long time bow hunter currently living in Washington. Washington is a tough place to hunt when it comes to quality tags, so I have been looking elsewhere. Nevada has been a state that I have been putting in for years and finally drew an amazing tag, yet, don't want to hire an outfitter. I too have been on this site for quite sometime, but haven't posted. Most of my comments/suggestions have been private emails. I posted on this site because its "ON YOUR OWN ADVENTURES", and i am trying to do just that.

Sorry about some people thinking it's OK to be an ass to new guys. I own the joint and I apologize to you.

I've deer hunted the area and if not hunting in the Wilderness, I would look toward Elk Mountain.

Good luck. Hope you shoot a lunker.

Not sure if it's the same unit, but a good friend had a tag in the Jarbidge last year. His suggestion is to get in as far as possible. He packed in by himself with horses. Pretty much had that area to himself except for an outfitter as it was farther in than they guys on shanks mare were getting. Said he saw more 6pt bulls in 3 days than he usually sees in multiple years. Good luck!

The east side from the O'neil basin has good access and the roads don't go in real far because of the wilderness boundary. There were some fires there 10-15 years ago that I think would be a good place to check out. Big aspen filled draws and basins.
From the road on the western boundary heading east it's quite steep but most guys don't get too far from the road.

Thanks everyone so much for the help on here.

I think I'm going to head down first week of August and scout the east side and south side. Looks like there are a ton of roads to glass from on east side, I just wonder how much are private.

I Appreciate the private messages and the time on the phone guys!

Thanks so much and I will keep you posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back