PEAX Equipment

Nephews 1st Elk.

AZ402

My 12 year old nephew Armando drew his first elk tag this year. It was his second choice youth cow hunt. As some of you know it's been a crummy week for me and my family. My time was limted in taking him out.

We made a few quick trips out over the weekend but couldn't stay out to long. The hunt should've been over opening morning but things didn't quite workout. The rest of the short trips were a bust opening weekend.

The hunt is only a seven days long. I wanted to try and get him out one more time before it ended. So yesterday afternoon I took him out for one last try.

My intentions were not to stray far from the truck. I stopped to glass a bowl were I've seen elk several times over the years. Sure enough as soon as I put my glass up, there were elk.

I had also brought my 4 year old Son along, not thinking we'd get far from the truck. My nephew and my litte guy made the mile long walk to the bowl. There were two cows closer than the rest of the herd to us. We worked into position for a shot and got set up. The shot was a little longer than I had hoped for but we had run out of cover.

The shot rang out and he had hit the cow pretty good. The herd scattered and one lone cow slowly walked to the thick stuff. We worked up to the area we last saw her and found blood. Shortly after we found her bedded down. I had him put a finishing shot on her and we were done.

We were trying to hurry out of there so I didn't get great pics but here are a few.

Monzie and his first elk and second big-game animal ever.

P1190272.jpg

Monzie and my 4 year old Son Brasen.

P1190275.jpg

Very cool Stan. A nice relief from the difficulties you are dealing with.

Congrats to all

Congrats to Monzie!!!!!

Hope this helped you get your mind on other things, even if for just a short while. Looks like you are going to have a young hunter on your hands in a few years, judging by his smile.

Great way to get back into the day to day stuff. I know you both felt a little healing from that adventure. Good to see two big smiles from those boys! Congrats. John

Awsome buddy, just awesome. Big time congrats to Mondo! and nice work getting Brasen out there too- what a cool experience for him.

Talk to you in a few days brother, got a couple of coues to go lay a jack stomping on.......

Good looking cow, congrats to the young man. Always a good time getting to hunt with family and help people get started out.

Congrats Mondo! Great shot and way to connect on your first elk. Nice job Stan on getting him out there.

Hopefully those smiles help get you thru the sadness my friend. Congrats on a great assist and my family's sincerest condolences.

.....Brasen is growin' like a weed...handsome lads both.

Good stuff there, Stan. Thanks for sharing.

My wife is jealous of that red-headed boy of yours.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back