Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Need some truck advice - F-150 down...

Must have a Triton engine? I gored my plug hole out and put in a plug adapter. Triton engines have an issue with the two front plugs on each side blowing out after 100K miles. There is only 4-6 threads holding the plugs into the block. Truck itself is hardy and I like mine for hunting. Might look into having a mechanic bore the plug hole out and put an adapter in.

This is what I bought along with the tools required to do the job (impact driver, etc).

I think triton was the previous generation. This engine is the 5.0L Coyote, 2013 model year.

My wife has a 2012 (also paid off) with the same engine, and the same thing happened at around 113k miles. Like you I never missed a service, and always took good care of it. I was busy working on a big job out of town and had the dealer replace the engine for $6,900. About 3 months ago the passenger side rear axle tube snapped clean off where it is pressed into the differential housing. I welded it back together and finally sourced one at a junkyard. Now I have a weekend project swapping it out. Always had good luck with Fords, but this one will be going away soon. I’d recommend trying to talk the dealer down on price, the dealer I use came down about $1,200 on the labor for the install.

they can do a scan test and come up with a relative value like 20 percent also,,if head is puleed then ok,,,like i said,the old 5.o s were pretty good motors,,,not sure about newer stuff??{to me a 2013 is fairly new}if they did a true mechanical leak down test its done by putting air pressure thru the spark plug hole when on compression stroke before tearing down..in close to 40 years of wrenching,it sounds like a shady dealer to me,,,maybe not,,,id get a second opinion though,,,good luck.

I dont know about the "coyote" 5.0 engine family,,have never worked on that exact platform,,but am not surprized,,we have alot of other new fords in our fleet and they really have alot of issues built into them now.

My wife has a 2012 (also paid off) with the same engine, and the same thing happened at around 113k miles. Like you I never missed a service, and always took good care of it. I was busy working on a big job out of town and had the dealer replace the engine for $6,900. About 3 months ago the passenger side rear axle tube snapped clean off where it is pressed into the differential housing. I welded it back together and finally sourced one at a junkyard. Now I have a weekend project swapping it out. Always had good luck with Fords, but this one will be going away soon. I’d recommend trying to talk the dealer down on price, the dealer I use came down about $1,200 on the labor for the install.
Yikes. That what makes me hesitate sinking any cash at all into it.

Yikes. That what makes me hesitate sinking any cash at all into it.
Like you I think we will look for a Toyota for her. With a growing family the 4 Runners are really intriguing, don’t like the price tag on them though. Forgot to mention that I called about 6 other shops for a quote to replace the engine, all of which were more expensive than the dealer. Called many a junkyard also and had no success. Parts and machine work for a rebuild were also more expensive than the dealer replacement. You may be able to get a decent amount out of it by parting it out and putting that towards a new rig.

i guess there isnt a single part that interchanges with the older 5.o///though forums say they are good motor combos///new fords really scare me off on storys like this//yes id go toyota//i just got a new taco with manual transmission and 3.5 v-6 in a sport 4x4 for 33k,,but i worked the salesman and several other "sales guys" for hrs to chew them down///finally got better part of 4 k off there "sales price" but i had to use every tactic i knew at the toyota dealer//if you go toy,try to see if they will squirm when you get up and walk towards the door,,good luck

Took my 2013 F-150 to the dealer for a tune up and they come back with the bad news....#8 cylinder is dead. 20% Compression. Never missed a service on it. It's the 5.0 Coyote V8 with only 89,000 miles. Dealer basically said "sorry bro". They quoted $8K for a new crate engine that won't even be here until April.

What would you do? Replace the engine or trade it in and start over? Blue book looks like it was $14k. Hard to justify putting a new engine in it for over half the value. Eyeballing new Tacos but the price of new trucks just keeps going up and I know I will miss having a paid off vehicle...
Why isn't the Jeep Gladiator on your list to consider? I could see why the smaller bed could be an issue but they advertise 28 MPG highway and my jeeps have always been super reliable and the resale value is really good. I am seeing them listed in my area new for just over 30K. Unless going a bit smaller is a huge issue the fuel economy could pay for itself quickly with that long of a commute.

Last edited:
If I were to go for a full size truck I'd probably roll with a Titan. If you're going to check out a Japanese truck and don't want to swallow the price of a Toyota, I'd bet you can find a sweet deal on a 2020 Titan right now.

Why isn't the Jeep Gladiator on your list to consider? I could see why the smaller bed could be an issue but they advertise 28 MPG highway and my jeeps have always been super reliable and the resale value is really good. I am seeing them listed in my area new for just over 30K. Unless going a bit smaller is a huge issue the fuel economy could pay for itself quickly with that long of a commute.
I own a Gladiator and get nothing close to 28 with the V6. I bought it because the engine should be relatively reliable (it's like a 10 year old engine), but who knows. It's been a great truck so far though! It tows and hauls just as well as any other mid-size and is great off-road. But it doesn't compete with a full-size on ride comfort, long trip gas mileage, storage, etc.

We went with it over the Tacoma TRD O-R because the Toyota interior looks like it's from 2000 and the seating position is terrible for a bigger guy. It should also get better gas mileage, but we have a bit bigger tires and a leveling kit so that's not helping.

I don’t know what rear end gearing our Jeep Wrangler had, but the V6 never even got close to 28 mpg. I’d say it averaged around 16-18 in town and might break 20 on the highway.

Also, the ball joints were shot at 44k miles, so I wasn’t overly impressed with Jeep quality.

If I were to go for a full size truck I'd probably roll with a Titan. If you're going to check out a Japanese truck and don't want to swallow the price of a Toyota, I'd bet you can find a sweet deal on a 2020 Titan right now.
Funny enough, I briefly looked at a Titan when I bought my Tundra, and they were consistently more expensive.

Interestingly enough, my buddy’s Suburban is shitting the bed at 110k miles. It’s a 2013. This was the offending plug.
3D7D9BAD-CE48-4F93-AB47-53783758FC78.jpeg
I don’t give a shit what folks drive. If you’re buying new and have warranty that’s different. If you’re buying used and don’t, it’s worth looking at long term trends.

I don't know anything about the Fords hi performance trucks, is the Coyote engine supercharged? Is it the same motor as the Raptor?
No, it’s not supercharged. it is just a 5.0 liter v8.
The raptor was a 6.2 when it had a v8. Now they’re using HO ecoboosts. Although they are coming out with some big v8 for them again next year.

No, it’s not supercharged. it is just a 5.0 liter v8.
The raptor was a 6.2 when it had a v8. Now they’re using HO ecoboosts. Although they are coming out with some big v8 for them again next year.
Just in time for the Gas price increase on the way. Real smart going with a high horsepower gas guzzler.

Unfortunately, if you hunt in places I have, you need that high horse power to get in and out of places. My truck looks like shit and beat up but I got into some places most hunters would not go and found big rainbow last year on BLM land. Had to go over some deep ruts to get there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back