Need some truck advice - F-150 down...

IdahoPotato

Took my 2013 F-150 to the dealer for a tune up and they come back with the bad news....#8 cylinder is dead. 20% Compression. Never missed a service on it. It's the 5.0 Coyote V8 with only 89,000 miles. Dealer basically said "sorry bro". They quoted $8K for a new crate engine that won't even be here until April.

What would you do? Replace the engine or trade it in and start over? Blue book looks like it was $14k. Hard to justify putting a new engine in it for over half the value. Eyeballing new Tacos but the price of new trucks just keeps going up and I know I will miss having a paid off vehicle...

Last edited:
Ouch. What kind of shape is the rest of the truck in? What about a reman engine? Is there an independent shop you trust?

Ouch. What kind of shape is the rest of the truck in? What about a reman engine? Is there an independent shop you trust?

It's average...a lot of miles off road. Nothing else wrong with it though. No independents I am aware of that would be reputable. I was just looking at rebuilt Coyote's and they are still 6k or better, plus labor.

I'm afraid a dealer will offer nothing or not take it as trade. Will find out Saturday though.

Last edited:
Honestly the new Tacos are underwhelming. Get a full sized rig with more HP and likely better mpgs
Hard to swallow the price of the Tacos. But then again I don't really feel like going back into a Ford dealer after this mess. And the Tundra MPG is a joke. I'm not optimistic about the price of gas in the next several years. My commute is ~60 miles a day.

Hard to swallow the price of the Tacos. But then again I don't really feel like going back into a Ford dealer after this mess. And the Tundra MPG is a joke. I'm not optimistic about the price of gas in the next several years.
But it will last FOREVER so whats more expensive some extra gallons fuel annually or new trucks every 5-6 years. IMO: In a half ton or compact toyota is only truck to buy unless money is no concern. If your upgrading to 3/4 or 1 then whole new set of concerns and choices. Never even heard (not even on internet lol) of a toyota dieing with 78,000 miles..just saying

But it will last FOREVER so whats more expensive some extra gallons fuel annually or new trucks every 5-6 years. IMO: In a half ton or compact toyota is only truck to buy unless money is no concern. If your upgrading to 3/4 or 1 then whole new set of concerns and choices. Never even heard (not even on internet lol) of a toyota dieing with 78,000 miles..just saying
You're completely right...I lean towards buy once cry once with most everything else.

Is used just out of the question with Toyota? I wouldn't want onw with more than 20k miles, and the used offerings around me look pretty similar to new. Some even more than new. What gives? Just go with new?

That sucks , had one Ford in my life 2012 trans went out at 37k miles. At least it was warranty but Ford service is junk took them 6 weeks to get the parts to rebuild. Hunting coyotes in January with a Hyundai loaner is a real hoot🙄. They blamed the delay on the weather what a joke. Back to Chevy for me. Good luck

What kind of MPG were you getting with the Ford? A similar year/mileage Tundra is probably going to go for 25-27k I’m guessing.

My 2016 Taco lasted 18 months

You're completely right...I lean towards buy once cry once with most everything else.

Is used just out of the question with Toyota? I wouldn't want onw with more than 20k miles, and the used offerings around me look pretty similar to new. Some even more than new. What gives? Just go with new?
New! I just traded one in with 160000 miles and got 1/3 of of what i paid for it 12 years ago... they dont depreciate like other manufactures. I will say tundra lacks a lot of modern upgrades and amenities but if you want reliable and value its only way to go, just buy new or good deal newish used. Good luck bro

What kind of MPG were you getting with the Ford? A similar year/mileage Tundra is probably going to go for 25-27k I’m guessing.
Around 18, I drive mostly on the highway. It's really only 1-2 off from a Tundra if the advertised mileage is true.

Dealers around me are showing 2021 Tundras at $42k for the base/SR5. Looks hard to get below that with a used unless the mileage really gets up there. I'm young-ish and need a truck I can get 15 years and 250,000 miles out of at least.

New! I just traded one in with 160000 miles and got 1/3 of of what i paid for it 12 years ago... they dont depreciate like other manufactures. I will say tundra lacks a lot of modern upgrades and amenities but if you want reliable and value its only way to go, just buy new or good deal newish used. Good luck bro
I am an "amenities free" kind of person haha. I need to get from point A to B and not get stuck in the desert or in the mountains or in the snow.

I was really hoping to get 200k out of the ford, in part because it was a really simple rig with no payments. No screens, no fancy materials or gadgets.

Around 18, I drive mostly on the highway. It's really only 1-2 off from a Tundra if the advertised mileage is true.

Dealers around me are showing 2021 Tundras at $42k for the base/SR5. Looks hard to get below that with a used unless the mileage really gets up there. I'm young-ish and need a truck I can get 15 years and 250,000 miles out of at least.
I bought my Tundra new in 2018 for quite a bit less than that. You’ll find some better deals. At the time I bought mine I paid $2,000 less for my brand new truck than the used 2016 they had on the lot with 40,000 miles.

If you want to buy something and drive it for 250k, I know what my choice would be.

The base SR 4x4 Tundras might be the ticket. I just wonder how much of the outer body is plastic. That's what drives me nuts about the Tacos - plastic bed. Insanity.

Last edited:
If you decide to pursue a new Toyota, shop the dealer in Bozeman. A friend shopped over twenty dealerships and they had the widest selection and the most competitive pricing. Deal was good enough for him to buy a one way plane ticket and then drive his new rig home.

I'm in the minority. Fix your truck. It's paid for and up until now you have had no other issues. 89k is still low mileage and you could easily crank out another 5 years. Save up in that time and pay cash for a Tundra when you can. Pay yourself with your paycheck instead of the lenders.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back