Need some truck advice - F-150 down...

They were when I was shopping.
Looks like a base crew max is running about $42k list internet prices. Tacos in the SR5 sport come in around $34 or $35.

I also haven't heard anything about reliability on the newer Tacos. I wonder how much they are selling based on the reliability of the early 2000s models. At least the Tundra seems pretty stable as far as generations go. And no plastic beds...

Looks like a base crew max is running about $42k list internet prices. Tacos in the SR5 sport come in around $34 or $35.
I was shopping used, so there are likely differences there.

There's very little plastic on my Tundra.

But the whole engine swap? It's not a minor fix or rebuild from what I'm hearing. At what point will the truck will fall apart around the engine. It's 8 years old.

That's the game you can play with all vehicles new or old though. At what point will they completely fall apart? Nobody knows. 8 years is not old. I think you would be surprised how many guys on here drive even older trucks/suvs all over the west each year. Myself included. Like I said though, I'm in the minority. I just know the cost of these new half ton trucks are insane especially when you look at what you are doing with them. Beating the shit out of them. Those loan payments suck even more when you get home and oak brush has really removed the new look and feel to your new 2021 purchase:ROFLMAO:. Like JLS said though, alot has to do with your financial situation. Just hate to see young guys get stuck with major payments for 5+ years.

That's the game you can play with all vehicles new or old though. At what point will they completely fall apart? Nobody knows. 8 years is not old.
Other than my work vehicles, it's been a long time since a drove a vehicle newer than 8 years old. 2007 to be exact.

Hard to swallow the price of the Tacos. But then again I don't really feel like going back into a Ford dealer after this mess. And the Tundra MPG is a joke. I'm not optimistic about the price of gas in the next several years. My commute is ~60 miles a day.
Even after your Ford is dead after only 89K miles? I have a Toyota that has 175K and going strong. It is twice as old as yours and trade in is not much different than your newer Ford. Things to consider.

I’m sure you’ve already considered it, but how comfortable are you towing with a Tacoma. It’s a smaller truck, and while you may not be towing much now, make a smaller bed, and a cold weather camp and your bed is full and you’re considering a trailer to get it all there. Fuel mileage sucks on trucks. That’s not why we buy them. I don’t know how much work time involves crappy driving conditions, but a commuter and perhaps repair Ford for weekend duties? Everything is a compromise, I don’t know how to play that game correctly.

Hard to swallow the price of the Tacos. But then again I don't really feel like going back into a Ford dealer after this mess. And the Tundra MPG is a joke. I'm not optimistic about the price of gas in the next several years. My commute is ~60 miles a day.
I would look hard at a tundra, I know a lot of people say how crummy the mileage is but it honestly wouldn't cost you that much more in fuel for the peace of mind of a simple reliable truck.

Say that tundra gets you 15mpg on your 60mile commute compared to a newer truck that averages you 19mpg. If gas is $3 a gallon it costs you $2.53 a day or $12+ per work week. In my opinion that's well worth the cost compared to a truck that is in the shop multiple times a year. Those fuel savings go in the pocket of the dealership/shop pretty quickly. That's at least how I settled on my next truck.

That's the game you can play with all vehicles new or old though. At what point will they completely fall apart? Nobody knows. 8 years is not old. I think you would be surprised how many guys on here drive even older trucks/suvs all over the west each year. Myself included. Like I said though, I'm in the minority. I just know the cost of these new half ton trucks are insane especially when you look at what you are doing with them. Beating the shit out of them. Those loan payments suck even more when you get home and oak brush has really removed the new look and feel to your new 2021 purchase:ROFLMAO:. Like JLS said though, alot has to do with your financial situation. Just hate to see young guys get stuck with major payments for 5+ years.
I looked at buying a new truck a little differently. The cost wasn’t out of line with newer used Chevys and Fords and I could afford to do it. I fully plan on keeping it for 15+ years and 250,000+ miles. In my mind, I paid a little more for the truck I wanted that I can plan on lasting that long. I added pinstripes and mud immediately after buying it with no remorse.

42A04342-EA77-4315-9E6A-6C58E240BBCE.jpeg

I think I'd sell it to some gearhead or someone that could get a truck with a "new engine" for 11k; list it for 2-3k, the buyer will know they'll have to spend up to 8k for a new engine; or hell maybe the dealer will give you a trade in deal

I would find a good mechanic, outside of a dealership. If you don't want to spend the money to fix, look online for a used. Been a Ford owner forever. All diesel and not for play. Even when the 6.0 had the problems the private sector came up with fixes, bulletproof was just that.

I’m sure you’ve already considered it, but how comfortable are you towing with a Tacoma. It’s a smaller truck, and while you may not be towing much now, make a smaller bed, and a cold weather camp and your bed is full and you’re considering a trailer to get it all there. Fuel mileage sucks on trucks. That’s not why we buy them. I don’t know how much work time involves crappy driving conditions, but a commuter and perhaps repair Ford for weekend duties? Everything is a compromise, I don’t know how to play that game correctly.
You're making a lot of sense...it does seem silly to commute 60 miles a day in a 5.0L bud light can. Always bothered me a bit. Trips to scout and run to the ski hill would be a lot cheaper in a commuter car getting 35 mpg.

The engine swap deal gives me that uneasy feeling of starting a project that could go sideways too though. The possibility of dumping cash and things going bad later down the road seems real too. Yikes, what a mess on these 5 liters.

Been sitting on it trying to avoid a dumb decision...at least it's not hunting season.

You're making a lot of sense...it does seem silly to commute 60 miles a day in a 5.0L bud light can. Always bothered me a bit. Trips to scout and run to the ski hill would be a lot cheaper in a commuter car getting 35 mpg.

The engine swap deal gives me that uneasy feeling of starting a project that could go sideways too though. The possibility of dumping cash and things going bad later down the road seems real too. Yikes, what a mess on these 5 liters.

Been sitting on it trying to avoid a dumb decision...at least it's not hunting season.
I have a 100 mile round trip to work. Did the commute in a silverado for a while and when $4 a gallon hit bought a small car for the commute. It made sense when gas was at $4 per gallon. I'm not sure it makes financial sense now, something you would have to compute. You might be saving on gas, but you will still have maintenance on 2 vehichles, insurance on 2 vehicles, tag fees, personal property tax if that applies, etc.

Don't know what to tell you.I have a 01' F-150 w/133k and a 98' Tacoma w/335k.
Unless you know good mech to replace the engine and you like that truck,trade it on a new or used.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around how my engine from Ford when I bought my truck new had a 60k mile warranty but this reman has a 100k mile warranty.
what year is your truck? What years have this problem?

Took my 2013 F-150 to the dealer for a tune up and they come back with the bad news....#8 cylinder is dead. 20% Compression. Never missed a service on it. It's the 5.0 Coyote V8 with only 89,000 miles. Dealer basically said "sorry bro". They quoted $8K for a new crate engine that won't even be here until April.

What would you do? Replace the engine or trade it in and start over? Blue book looks like it was $14k. Hard to justify putting a new engine in it for over half the value. Eyeballing new Tacos but the price of new trucks just keeps going up and I know I will miss having a paid off vehicle...
Must have a Triton engine? I gored my plug hole out and put in a plug adapter. Triton engines have an issue with the two front plugs on each side blowing out after 100K miles. There is only 4-6 threads holding the plugs into the block. Truck itself is hardy and I like mine for hunting. Might look into having a mechanic bore the plug hole out and put an adapter in.

This is what I bought along with the tools required to do the job (impact driver, etc).

again,,please go back and check my questions?did they pull the head off?or is it what there scan tool says//they cannot tell you your cylinder is misshaped unless they got it apart.also what was your service scedule like on oil changes?consider 4 k max on oil,,did you do it,or some jiffy lube pump penzoil in it?? its toast if it was penzoil,,,z-7 is absolute crap.

again,,please go back and check my questions?did they pull the head off?or is it what there scan tool says//they cannot tell you your cylinder is misshaped unless they got it apart.also what was your service scedule like on oil changes?consider 4 k max on oil,,did you do it,or some jiffy lube pump penzoil in it?? its toast if it was penzoil,,,z-7 is absolute crap.
I believe they mentioned the head was off and they did a pressure test on the cylinders. #8 was at 20% compression. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know exactly know how they did the test, I just heard the 20% figure. They did say the cylinder was mis-shaped. Oil changes every 5k exactly on schedule, always used mobile 1 synthetic. Next stop is the Toyota dealership. I need to know what the trade value will be with the issues I have today before any other decisions can be made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back