PEAX Equipment

Need some truck advice - F-150 down...

Im with Dan.kirkpatrick, Ive been a mechanic since 2004, this seems a little suspect. You said you took it in for a tune up, was it running poorly when you took it in? Did they charge you to pull the cylinder head off? They wouldnt do that for free or for the initial diagnostic fee. Usually a cylinder leak down test is cause for additional diag. fee as well, as you need to pull a few things apart. A second opinion would be invaluable at this point. Oh and what is a misshaped cylinder?

You are in a tough situation. If you decide on getting rid of your Ford, think about a Tacoma if it's not too small. I currently have a 2018 F-150 which I like very much and I have had absolutely no trouble with and with the eco-boost engine my mileage if fantastic. However, I am thinking about selling my Ford for a four door Tacoma. I have had two Tacoma in the past and for what I use the truck for, a smaller vehicle is more advantages. The Tacoma will go anywhere especially with chains, gas mileage is good and the newer ones are very comfy. Good luck with your decision.

I am in the opposite place. I just sold my 2017 Tacoma. I actually sold it for more than I bought it for (first for me). The rear seats were too small for my family. I am 6’4”, my wife is 5’11” and my son is now 5’8”.

I am looking at Ford F150, Tundra Crewmax, new Ford Bronco or 4Runner.

I am worried about long term reliability of exoboost. The F150s are really nice and the engine is super powerful (3.5 eco) but really want the truck for 150K plus. The new Broncos look super cool but same concerns about engine reliability.

The 4Runner actually has more room in the rear seats than the Tacoma and the 4.0L engine is legendary.

In all probability, I will be in a Tundra crew max and have to buy a quad and TT. The full size trucks (for me) are simply too big for narrow hunting roads...Unless you like the look of Rocky Mountain Pin striping.

I might be able to get a 4Runner and small A frame camper or Bronco and the same type of camper.

My son is growing like a weed and will probably end up being 6’5-6’7. My grandfather was 6’11, brother is 6’6 and brother in law is 6’5. We simply might need more room.

In all probability, I will be in a Tundra crew max and have to buy a quad and TT. The full size trucks (for me) are simply too big for narrow hunting roads...Unless you like the look of Rocky Mountain Pin striping.

I might be able to get a 4Runner and small A frame camper or Bronco and the same type of camper.

My son is growing like a weed and will probably end up being 6’5-6’7. My grandfather was 6’11, brother is 6’6 and brother in law is 6’5. We simply might need more room.
Need more room? Here ya go! :LOL:

784ad355fb6ca2841f7bde09a8bb99a9.jpg

ive been wrenching for many years,,{close to 40 yrs} and i just say,,be aware,,eco boost small turbo engines turn into oil leakers if you make 150 k,,,ive seen alot of new fords and am not impressed,,alot of design failure built into them now more than other mfg,s i m o,,,and im not biased or a ford hater,,,just what i see.

Update on this mess....

I went In to a second ford dealer and they were not so quick to suggest a whole engine. They said bad cylinder could be many problems but they said it was just guessing until they could tear into it. They couldn't get me in for 3 weeks, which was risky since I needed a truck for commuting every day.

I took it to toyota and told them what the last ford dealer said. They offered me a fair trade value given what was wrong, so I traded it for a new Tacoma TRD Sport. I guess that will work.

Update on this mess....

I went In to a second ford dealer and they were not so quick to suggest a whole engine. They said bad cylinder could be many problems but they said it was just guessing until they could tear into it. They couldn't get me in for 3 weeks, which was risky since I needed a truck for commuting every day.

I took it to toyota and told them what the last ford dealer said. They offered me a fair trade value given what was wrong, so I traded it for a new Tacoma TRD Sport. I guess that will work.
Congrats on new truck! i would of got a tundra(personal pref) but you did good to get out from under that ford before it got worse. Glad to hear you got good tradein also, bet that taco is great daily driver. Should of posted a pic...be well

Congrats on new truck! i would of got a tundra(personal pref) but you did good to get out from under that ford before it got worse. Glad to hear you got good tradein also, bet that taco is great daily driver. Should of posted a pic...be well
I took a good look at the Tundras. Really impressed with the interior, they are huge. After talking with the sales guy, he was saying real world mileage on a Tundra is 12-14...just doesn't fit what I want out of a truck. I'm getting about 21 mpg commuting with the new Tacoma.

I took a good look at the Tundras. Really impressed with the interior, they are huge. After talking with the sales guy, he was saying real world mileage on a Tundra is 12-14...just doesn't fit what I want out of a truck. I'm getting about 21 mpg commuting with the new Tacoma.
They are big relative to the Tacoma for sure. Enjoy the new truck.

edit: the mpg figures from the sales guy seem low from what I’ve experienced and from other friends who drive Tundras see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear you got out of that situation in one piece. Will be curious to hear how you like the Tacoma so hope you post updates.

I bought a new f150 2.7L eco a year ago but thinking I’ll trade it at 60k in a couple years after reading all of the above.

Congratulations. In the real world, all the full size trucks are going to get within 3-4 mpg of each other, so for 50 mile commute, you did well.

I hope you like your new tacoma//i like my new 2020 tacoma that i just got,,personally i think its a night and day difference between toyota and ford.
Yeah,there is. I own both & both have been good. My Tacoma is a 98 & my F-150 01...............lol
Hit & miss on years & brands now. All brands. Even Toyota has had bad years & motors etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back