Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

ND moose

tyhanson

I have been a long time lurker on this site and have learned a lot about western hunting. I figured this would make a good 1st post. I drew my ND once in a lifetime moose tag this year. I scouted very hard over the summer and fall and found lots of big bulls. I decided I had 2 I wanted to shoot and this was my number 1. I hunted him hard during archery season and came really close a couple times but couldn't get it done. I shot him opening day of rifle @146 yds. with a .270 loaded with 140 grain accubonds he was done after 1 shot, and dead within 15 seconds. 48.5 inches wide

Attachments

• oyoa1.jpg
    oyoa1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 765
  • HTtrailer.jpg
    HTtrailer.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 707
  • digiscope.jpg
    digiscope.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 726
According to the 'Experts', you can't hunt moose with a .270. Now go back and start all over and this time do it properly with at least a 300 Mag !

(Nice Bullwinkle :) )

Great first post. Welcome to the site and beautiful bull moose. He would definitely be at the top of my list as well. Way to get it done. I shoot the same bullet out of my .270 winchester. What and how much powder do you use?

OK... here goes: I assume ND stands for North Dakota. I did not even know that North Dakota had moose. Are they for the most part in the far western part of the state?

CONGRATS!!!!

good luck to all
the dog

OK... here goes: I assume ND stands for North Dakota. I did not even know that North Dakota had moose. Are they for the most part in the far western part of the state?

CONGRATS!!!!

good luck to all
the dog

As far as I know they're kinda in the North East part around like Bottineau. I've seen a couple in Western ND but its pretty rare I think.

Edit: Shows how much I know haha

Last edited:
This was a western North Dakota bull, seems to be more moose on the west side of the state then the east. I used 58 grains of H4831SC in my load

Nice moose but one question. You loaded that sumbich on the trailer whole? You must be living right.

Excellent bull and first post, congrats! That really is a great trophy and you made the most out of a once-in-a-lifetime tag. That's going to make a great mount as well.

Great looking bull. I'm assuming a tractor was involved in the retrieval?

Haha, that's the way to pack out a moose.. I met a fella a couple weeks ago in Wyoming who'd shot a cow near the road, and was able to get her loaded whole into his truck. Talk about a truckload..

Congrats on a great bull.

Whoa! Giant bull.

I assume they're still considered shiras? Those are giant fronts for one if they are.

Awesome bull by the way! Here are a couple pictures of a bull swimming across Fort Peck Last year.

Last edited:
Congrats on an awesome once in a lifetime trophy!

ND actually has moose in almost every part of the state. Obviously some areas better than others. I had a tag in 94' & took mine in the north east corner of the state. There has been a lot of nice bulls taken in the last couple years.

I am fairly positive ND moose fall into the Canadian moose category.

Congrats again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back