ND Archery Whitetail

hardscrabble

It has been a fun September hunting with good friend WSWAT. He puts a lot of time into setting stands and scouting for deer. With a number of good bucks on camera we were excited for season to open.

The first weekend of the reservation season was slow with warm weather and farmers still taking crops off. I did pass on a really nice 4x4 in full velvet. This was probably a bad decision but I knew there were better bucks in the area.

Between the first and second weekends of season the farmer had taken all of the canola off and this changed things completely. All of the big deer went missing and we were out to hunt different area's.

On my third weekend of hunting I was set up on some state land and finally had a decent buck 150 yards off. Having not killed a buck with my bow since 2009 and all the effort WSWAT had put into me getting a buck I made the call if he comes by I was going to take him.

About 15 minuets after I first spotted him he started working my way. When he crossed a small depression in front of me a 10 yards I drew my bow. He stopped briefly at 15 yards and I put an arrow into the boiler room. He ran about 150 yards out into a cut pea field and fell over. I tried out a new broadhead this year and I was not impressed. The Ulmer Edges are going into the garbage. I could not believe how far this deer went and the lack of damage that was done. Back to the fixed blade heads.

I saw a quick flash at the shot and at first could not figure out what it was. Thought it was a flash from my lighted nock but later found it was a perfect trail camera picture of the shot. If you look real close at the front shoulder the exit wound is visible. Just a small red sliver. Very disappointed with this broadhead.

Cdy00432.jpg

SAM_0939[1].jpg

SAM_0936[1].jpg

I still have my reservation tag left and look forward to chasing a big mule deer that I totally messed up on at 10 yards after a perfect stalk. Still having nightmares over that.
Thanks again to WSWAT for taking me out, I always enjoy hunting with him.

Good friends and fortuitous trail camera shot to boot. Nice.
Another tag to go, even nicer.

That can't be a ND deer, there aren't any good bucks up here. ;)

Congrats on the buck and the WAY cool picture.

Nice looking buck, I would really like to do a public land whitetail hunt sometime in the near future.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back