Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

National debt / balanced budget?

The more I read up on this subject, the more I realize the household budget to national deficit comparison is apples to golf balls.

States have to balance their budgets because they don't control the currency. The federal government DOES control currency. The US is approx. $30 trillion in debt. We could "print" $30 trillion dollars tomorrow, pay all of our obligations, and we'd all be debt-free. Woo-hoo! But then our dollars would be devalued by 60% (or whatever...it would be a lot), because our annual GNP is only about $23 billion, and we'd piss off everyone.

Basically, the absolute value of the national debt is somewhat irrelevant. Much more important are our long-term economic trends, which are quite rosy, compared to basically every other nation on earth.

Personally, it bothers me that our federal government consistently spends more than it takes in. I'm all for reforming entitlements to reign in spending in the long-term, and have a balanced budget during years when large-scale emergencies (wars, pandemics, etc.) do not occur. However, entitlement reform usually turns out to be political suicide, so we just kick the can down the road for another election cycle.

As it stands today, the percentage of the federal budget dedicated to servicing our $30 trillion in debt is a mere 5%. If it was 10% (to hold $60 trillion in debt), I would still hardly bat an eyelash.

Nope, National debt has nothing to do with a Hunting Forum.
I have never seen a rancher that had a spending and debt problem that did not start to sell off land to help pay for that problem. If there ever comes a time when the Government can not print or tax there way out of the issue the government to will start to sell off land. That time will come if we do not change our ways, maybe not in my lifetime but it will come.

Ya in next weeks welfare and unemployment checks put a note in it saying this is your last check. Find a job or go hungry wet and cold. Just like they used to have to do. PERIOD.

Exceptions: Military with disabilities due to service ( we should pay them forever), women who got left by some deuce bag and needs some time get on her feet, disabled persons ( not some BS crap) abused and neglected children and women. There may be a couple others.

Basically if you are able bodied get off your lazy ass and get a job. Time for sissies to toughen up a get a kick in the ass. And NO we are not raising the minimum wage.
I would be curious to hear your thoughts on this article.

In a Facebook post on September 29, which went viral on Twitter and Reddit as well, Holz said, "58 applications says y'all aren't desperate for workers, you just miss your slaves."

I think that's the supposition he started with.

First its Florida, but he had a solid interview. Sounds like how you need to go about finding a job. This is not reality. In my profession ( construction) I do not know of a single company who is not trying to find help. If he wanted two interviews he should have applied at 240 jobs. The problem:

Its real work
most cant drive to work and to lazy to walk, ride a bike or bus
most cant show up for work on time for more than a week
most quit because its too hard

Just about every fast fast food place is hiring. Yes in many markets you cant make enough to support a family. ( not suppose to) Then you need multiple jobs. I got my first paying job at 12 mowing lawns. I pushed my mower all over town. When I was 18 I worked 7 days a week for 5 years at 4 different jobs at once. Then I hit the road in a sales management position and spent over 200 nights on the road. The kids came and spent about 150 nights on road. Been doing this for 30 years. Now I can retire at 52 of I wanted to, but I don't, because I like work. All this while never ever missing a single sports game of my kids.

Its all about commitment and hard work. You have to work some jobs you don't want to work. Put your personal life aside for a while. Everything thinks they are too good for certain jobs. A poor man never gave me a job, thank god for rich ones who did.

My 2 cents/example; I know driver costs have gone up in Texas for OG. Tons of people got laid off in 2020. Amazon was growing and hiring like crazy, I think they hired a ton of folks. People just have different jobs now they didn't just sit around, they moved on, now we are asking them to quit their new job and come back. There is going to be an associated extra cost to that.

I know a bunch of folks that got laid off in the past 2 years Merger frenzy/ bankruptcy. They now all have jobs, but most not in Oil and Gas... like GIS folks who now work in solar, utilities, Walmart and Home depot have GIS teams.

First its Florida, but he had a solid interview. Sounds like how you need to go about finding a job. This is not reality. In my profession ( construction) I do not know of a single company who is not trying to find help. If he wanted two interviews he should have applied at 240 jobs. The problem:

Its real work
most cant drive to work and to lazy to walk, ride a bike or bus
most cant show up for work on time for more than a week
most quit because its too hard

Just about every fast fast food place is hiring. Yes in many markets you cant make enough to support a family. ( not suppose to) Then you need multiple jobs. I got my first paying job at 12 mowing lawns. I pushed my mower all over town. When I was 18 I worked 7 days a week for 5 years at 4 different jobs at once. Then I hit the road in a sales management position and spent over 200 nights on the road. The kids came and spent about 150 nights on road. Been doing this for 30 years. Now I can retire at 52 of I wanted to, but I don't, because I like work. All this while never ever missing a single sports game of my kids.

Its all about commitment and hard work. You have to work some jobs you don't want to work. Put your personal life aside for a while. Everything thinks they are too good for certain jobs. A poor man never gave me a job, thank god for rich ones who did.
I guess I have a hard time getting behind the idea that someone working 40-60 hours a week in ANY profession/field not being able to make a living wage. I 100% agree that there are lazy people in the world who are gaming the system and taking advantage, but if a man or woman wants to work full-time at McDonalds, why not pay them appropriately? Everyone wants a burger.

I've always had a job as well, worked as many as three at a time... I don't think I'm particularly exceptional. Lots of people who work harder than me.

So what would you have done during the last 2 years if you had lost your job in March 2020, and assuming lots lots of people did the same thing what effect do you think that has?

My 2 cents/example; I know driver costs have gone up in Texas for OG. Tons of people got laid off in 2020. Amazon was growing and hiring like crazy, I think they hired a ton of folks. People just have different jobs now they didn't just sit around, they moved on, now we are asking them to quit their new job and come back. There is going to be an associated extra cost to that.

I know a bunch of folks that got laid off in the past 2 years Merger frenzy/ bankruptcy. They now all have jobs, but most not in Oil and Gas... like GIS folks who now work in solar, utilities, Walmart and Home depot have GIS teams.
I have family in the food industry. Most, if not all, of their coworkers who left took the pandemic as a sign to get a job in the field their degree was in, finally start something new, or just realized the working conditions/pay was not worth the abuse from customers or managers.

I have family in the food industry. Most, if not all, of their coworkers who left took the pandemic as a sign to get a job in the field their degree was in, finally start something new, or just realized the working conditions/pay was not worth the abuse from customers or managers.
Same, eg one of my childhood friends was a bartender now they are working as a medical tech. 🤷‍♂️

I guess I have a hard time getting behind the idea that someone working 40-60 hours a week in ANY profession/field not being able to make a living wage. I 100% agree that there are lazy people in the world who are gaming the system and taking advantage, but if a man or woman wants to work full-time at McDonalds, why not pay them appropriately? Everyone wants a burger.
I agree. A man should be able to work at McDonalds if he wanted. I did my whole high school

Couple responses

If fast food raises the minimum wage so will the price of goods. Look what happened to Seattle. When they forced the minimum wage of $15/hr, those already making $18-20 an hour at a job they where at for many years had to get a raise. So what did owners do, they laid people off. Raising the wage is the exact opposite of what should happen at the entry level. Owners cannot pay more without raising raising prices or cutting cost. I think if you want to work full time at McDonalds that great, but you just wont be able to live a certain type of lifestyle and I am in no position to suggest what type of lifestyle you should live. If you want to be able to enjoy certain things than McDonalds may not be the place for you. Try Burger King LOL.

I worked at a warehouse for just above minimum wage for years but I begged for every overtime hour I could get. Many weeks I worked 80 plus hours. I guess its just what are you willing to give up now for later. Maybe you shouldn't, enjoy things while your young. I dunno, but I sure enjoy reaping now what I sowed. To each is his own my only point is, I have never ever had a day without a job, sometimes not fun ones but there is plenty of work out there.

I've always had a job as well, worked as many as three at a time... I don't think I'm particularly exceptional. Lots of people who work harder than me.

So what would you have done during the last 2 years if you had lost your job in March 2020, and assuming lots lots of people did the same thing what effect do you think that has?
Yes last two years have been strange but I can tell you in many businesses they are booming, all though covid. ( getting sick is different problem). All I can say is I hear it every day how people are trying to hire but cant get any applicants or if they do they want work. Most all construction is backed up 2-3 years in business. People sometimes struggle getting a job out of their "profession".

Tring not get political, lets remember its the system who does not want people to work. People producing wealth and not relying on the government is contrary to current belief.

Free medical, free college, free this free that. I learned a long time ago the most expensive things are usually free.

Lets help those who need help, lets make those able to help do their fair share.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back