National debt / balanced budget?

Goodfish

Any thoughts on the National Debt and how the country could get back to living within its means? It seams as though the discussion has changed to various explanations of how debt ceiling doesn’t matter. As a guy who swallowed the Coolade and has a bunch of money invested in pre-tax investments I wonder if it can possibly remain true that the tax rates when I retire will be less than while working.

Not a chance.

Edit to add: its also a disservice to try to simplify the economics of a 330 million person nation spread out over 3.8 million miles into household economic terms. Unless, of course, you want to convince a block of voters that your plan is "common sense".

Last edited:
all i know is our elected officials seem to think they can spend their way out of debt and i got rid of my old cpa because of bad advice that was of the same coolade variety that you got offered.

i do some pre-tax in my sep-ira but as the nation becomes more dependent on others on a personal and national level the only way out is to raise taxes since spending less isn't an option for those in the state capitals or DC

If there was anywhere you were gonna find the answer,,,
I don’t honestly think there is an answer that doesn’t involve a grass roots effort to force the government. At least the last 20 years of administrations have proven they can’t be trusted to be fiscally responsible. You can’t get elected by saying that the taxes have to go up to pay for the irresponsibility of the past.

Not a chance.

Edit to add: its also a disservice to try to simplify the economics of a 330 million person nation spread out over 3.8 million miles into household economic terms. Unless, of course, you want to convince a block of voters that your plan is "common sense".
Not a chance.

Are you sure it doesn’t get simplified down to the point where 330 million people can’t pay the interest on the loan if the voters keep ignoring it to avoid short term pain?

Are you sure it doesn’t get simplified down to the point where 330 million people can’t pay the interest on the loan if the voters keep ignoring it to avoid short term pain?
Yes, my point is that it isn't that simple.

"Don't spend what you don't have" works great for family budgeting. Doesn't work out so well when you spend 20 years fighting in Afghanistan, during which time you also undergo a massive housing crisis and a global pandemic while balancing domestic production and foreign trade in an ever evolving world. Especially while one side of the political aisle says they want to lower taxes and cut spending (of course never military spending because there's no way the bureaucracy applies to that line item) but only ever do the first one half-heartedly and the second not at all and the other side of the aisle says the want to raise taxes on the rich and spend more on vital programs but doesn't succeed at either.

Any thoughts on the National Debt and how the country could get back to living within its means? It seams as though the discussion has changed to various explanations of how debt ceiling doesn’t matter. As a guy who swallowed the Coolade and has a bunch of money invested in pre-tax investments I wonder if it can possibly remain true that the tax rates when I retire will be less than while working.
I'm just going say *#^ it, buy a mule, and go hunting when I retire.

Ya in next weeks welfare and unemployment checks put a note in it saying this is your last check. Find a job or go hungry wet and cold. Just like they used to have to do. PERIOD.

Exceptions: Military with disabilities due to service ( we should pay them forever), women who got left by some deuce bag and needs some time get on her feet, disabled persons ( not some BS crap) abused and neglected children and women. There may be a couple others.

Basically if you are able bodied get off your lazy ass and get a job. Time for sissies to toughen up a get a kick in the ass. And NO we are not raising the minimum wage.

And the ironic thing is that the last federal balanced budget was a compromise between Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich. Strange bedfellows, but they got it done. Would that happen in todays partisan politics? No f*cking way! But it’s proof that it can be done if politicians would focus on solutions instead of partisan rhetoric.

A balanced checkbook doesn't keep nuclear aircraft carriers in the South China Sea. Also, I don't think the US letting off the throttle while Russia/China build up on printed money would be the best idea right now...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back