N.A.P. quick spin vanes

A-con

Any thoughts ?
NAP claims they will spin an arrow, without helical or offset, faster than helical feathers.

I just checked out their website and I am not totally convinced they are better than feathers but if they claim they group better and produce more spin, I'm sure they have proof to back it up or at least I hope so anyway. I wonder how much they cost and it looks like they only come in 4" as well. Personally, I will stick with good old feathers but that's probably because I have enough to last for a long, long time.

Click on the link below for more info from NAP.

NAP QuikSpin Vanes

You're not out anything just for trying them that's for sure. 50 cents per vane is quite a bit but if they are durable and hold up shooting through a whisker biscuit and you don't have issues, then the price is justified. If you get some to try out, let us know how they perform. I've never seen or heard of these vanes before and am curious to see how they field test.

The cost is about .50 cents each (ouch)
I like feathers, but the get torn up to easy.
I'm shooting a whisker bisket, and if I could get a streight fletch to shoot good, it would have a lot less resestince going through the bisket.
I might just give em a try.

Steve was just talking about those the other night.
He said he might give them a try.
I'll keep you posted if he does.
A-con ,you do the same if you get some first OK?
I hate trying new stuff LOL
I just wait untill Steve figure's it out then change over if it's really good.

I find it strange that 12 years ago the big poo was to move away from helical to a straight offset fletch to gain fps. with a 3 degree offset most aluminum and carbons will stabilize a 125 or lighter broadhead. Why is it now fashionable to sping the arrows fast again? To spin the arrow the NAP fletch has to have resistance which would slow it down I'd think.

Is it just marketing? I'd guess the helical fletch will go the way of the dyna-bow and dodo bird. But who knows.

Just me and my thoughts babbling away.

There certanily is some resistance, but much less (hopefully) than helical.
There seems to be tons of worthless crap on the archery market, that is selling because of marketing. After looking over the design of these vanes, it makes sense to me ( that dosn't mean they really work, but it looks like they should work)
Stabilization creates accuracy, and thats far more important than speed. If these vanes work as advertised then they should produce both.

They do indeed work...they spin like crazy. Noticable even by "spin testing" in the palm of your hand. Have shot them for just a while but here's my take so far...

Pros-
Stabilize the shaft much quicker with the spin on it.The 4" fletched straight spoin a lot quicker than even my 5" woth a hard hellical.

More resistant to crosswind drifting in outdoor situations.

You can fleth straight and still get twice the spin as the hardest hellical reducing clearance issues for the TM hunter or prong style rests.

Cons-

They're much heavier than feathers or vains.

If you take a chunk of feather out of a feather fletched shaft...it'll still fly pretty straight. Vains aren's quite as forgiving but a little nick and your still OK...Nick a quick spin and game over. They are more durable and stiffer than the regular vains, but your not going to want to shoot groups with these things. At the price they're going for it can add up in a big hurry.

Being heavier they can throw the FOC out of whack...but that can be adjusted by a heaview broadhead... at the price of speed.

They also slow the arrow down (As T-Bone stated) but not so much from the spin I think as the added weight. OK for hunting and fixed range indoor shoots but the 3drs are generally looking for flat shooting, just above IBO arrows.

Good for some situations and fun to play with.

Thanks for the info Kelly, I got a 1/2 dz, but I havn't had a chance to shoot them yet. I went from a 100 gr tip to 125, should put me around 10.2 % FOC, and 438 gr total arrow weight.
Any reports on how they (quick spins ) hold up going through a whisker bisket rest ?

After shooting them for almost a week now, I've come up with my own conclusions. Although they do seem to spin better, (in reality probably only 3/4 to full turn more than others @ 50 yards) I could NOT get them to group noticably better than my current fletching (Flex Fletch w/ helical). With the added weight and change in FOC PLUS the price tag attached, I'll stick with my current fletching. I guess there's no need to fix something that isn't broke. But hey, it sure was fun trying something new.

BOHNTR )))--------------->

(in reality probably only 3/4 to full turn more than others @ 50 yards)
Really? Mine spin a lot more than that. My 4" offset vains get about 3.5 rvs to 20 yards...the spins got 8 and change if my math was right. Like you said though, for the price and if your stacking them already I wouldn;t mess around with it too much.

Haven't tried them through the whisker. I think they'd be fine though...they're a lot stiffer and more durable than regular vains. My only concern would be wearing the rubberized "kicker" off. The new disks that have a little lighter bristle and don't wear as much as the original.

Kelly,

Sorry that was suppose to be "@ 20 yards".

On a side note, I had an interesting conversation with Bob Mizek of New Archery Prodcuts regarding their study on vane rotations. Off-set and helical vanes do NOT rotate as much as people think. Obviously, the speed of your arrow & vanes off-set will dictate the number of rotations. However, in "general" most standard vanes completed between 2-4 rotations @ 20 yards. pretty interesting stuff.

Just for info guys, Bohning has sent me some new vanes to try that are "Broadhead Vanes" and are only 3" in length. They claim they will be far more accurate than ANY other style vane on the market?????

I guess the "vane" war has begun.
I'll keep you posted after I test them out.

BOHNTR )))----------->

Got ya. That makes sense.

What's up with the Bohning stuff?? Are they the Blazers or something newer still? Don't keep us in suspense here Bo :D
Let us know how you like them.

Got a chance to shoot the quick spins today, indoors at 20 yds, so far I'm impressed.
Tighter groups, less noise. They seem to slide through the wisker bisket no problem, I only lost 8 fps with an arrow that weighs 50 grains more.
(heavier arrow and tip as well as the vanes )

I may be off base here...still testing but I think these have the added bonus of being more effecient somehow.

As a general rule my bows don't change too much in KE from light to heavy arrows. I.E. While my speed increaes with the lighter, the lowered weight slides accordingly through the KE formula to never differentiate more than 1.7 foot pnds or so...

yet with the quick spins and a 47 grain increase in arrow weight...I jumped 3.6 foot pounds on the KE formula??

This was with 2 difefrent bows, a Bowtech Patriot Dually and a Martin Cougar3 Fury, in 3 different weights on each bow.

A-con...can you confirm this on your setup?

I did change arrows for the quick spins as well though...I'm in the process of fletching half of the lighter that I used as the "Control" to see the difference apples to apples.

I changed to a different arrow as well, but K.E. increased about 3 ft/lbs.
Got a chance to shoot outdoors for a bit this morning. After some minor tuneing (walkback/plumbob) I was shooting better groups out to 40 yds. Arrows seemed to stabelize faster. What suprised me was the drop at 30 & 40 yds. I expected more drop with a heavier/slower arrow, but I got less ! I accually had to move my pins closer togather. I think this is because I had the quick spins put on streight, no helical, so there should be less wind resistance.
I was running out of time, so I quickly screwed on a few broadheads ( Magnus Stinger, 4 bld/125 ) and put three in bulleyes at 20, 30 & 40, right with my field points, in a light breeze.
Lets see,
More accurate
More K.E.
Less noise
Less drop,
I'll need to do more testing, but I think this will be my hunting set up.

Sounds like a winner A-con. They holding up throught the Bisquit?? I know a lot of people are asking about that.

Hey Bohntr....any news on those Bohnings? I've eaten my quickspins apart already and looking at the Blazers...should I wait or what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back