Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mystery Ranch vs. Sitka Packs

Bivy

I know, I know, I know...from my lurking here it appears as if Mystery Ranch is the preference.

I'm looking for a mulitple day backcountry pack and if any of you have utilized both packs I'm curious about your "likes" and "dislikes"

I've been scoping the Mystery Ranch Crewcab and Wolf Alpha, and also the Sitka Bivy 45.

My dilemma is...Sitka offers a prodeal to outdoor professionals (biologists, wildlife officers, fieldworkers, etc.) , however the Mystery Ranch prodeal applies to outfitters and guides solely. Thus, I can get the Sitka pack at far less of a price than a Mystery Ranch.

I have Sitka hunting clothes, and they are TOP OF THE LINE! (Definately designed by hunters for hunters) so I'm going to assume their packs are very "Hunter Friendly" and high quality.

If anyone has packed meat in the Bivy 45...how does the meat shelf hold up? Was it easy to attach the load? How does the pack handle the load?

I know the Sitka pack was editor's choice in Outdoor Life, but they weren't comparing in to a Mystery Ranch, and well Outdoor Life isn't exactly the magazine I remember as a kid...I think I will stick to the opinions of the guys actually getting out and doing it OYO.

Thanks

Badlands provides a great pro deal as well that most people working with or in the outdoors can qualify for. I know there are tons of badlands haters but I have owned a pack or two and love the badlands pack I use which is the 2200. But between the MR and the Sitka whatever you choose hopefully you will love it!

After looking at the Sitka pack on their website I think the Badlands 2200 is very comparable. I don't feel that the MR is even the same style of pack to be honest. I personally have both the Badlands 2200 and the Crew Cab and like them both but the Badlands isn't a meat hauler. Sure I could put some in it if I had too but the Crew Cab is a comfortable hauler. If your looking for just a day pack style pack then I think that the Sitka and Badlands would be just fine but ultimately you're not going to get a pack that you can comfortably pack some heavy weight out in.

The downside for me on the Crew Cab is lack of the small exterior and interior pockets. It has some but I like a few more for just the small stuff. I also wish they had a better waterproofing system. With the CC you're going to get stuff wet if it's sandwiched in the middle and like I said the coated cordura just doesn't stay that waterproof. I also wish they would try to make a pack with a quieter material. The cordura is bulletproof and is what makes the pack nearly indestructible and great for heavy loads but maybe they could create something a little more "inferior" let's say for those looking for a quieter day pack style.

I wouldn't say that a 2000 cubic inch pack would be all that great for a multiple day pack. I'm thinking something bigger for sure. The CC would fit that bill especially with the load cells but maybe one of their other packs would be even better. If you end up with a MR I do believe that it would outlast your body. Might be smarter to make a one time investment than multiple cheaper ones.

bustedbackpack.jpg

You will notice I mentioned the MR Wolf Alpha pack as well. The load cells do add capacity to the Mystery Ranch Crewcab (which I like); however, where do you put the load cells and the gear you had in them when packing meat?

The Wolf Alpha appeared to be the most comparable pack to the Bivy 45. Both are ~ 4200-4500 cubic packs which I can fit my gear in for mulitple days with no problem.

The Mystery Ranch is obviously more rugged...however Sitka is lighter and quieter.

Also, Im going to assume that the material used in the Sitka packs is stronger than that used in their clothing line. And I have found that clothing material is TOUGH. I put it to the test in OH and PA this year while chasing whitetails and black bear. All I can say is I hadn't found anything other than Cordura that held to multiflora rose, but the Sitka gear also passed the test.

My main question now is for those that have used the Bivy 45 or similar packs how do they handle the extra load meat adds?

Calvin do you like yours?

Bivy, Sorry I looked on their site and only saw the Bivy 20? I didn't realize they had a bigger pack. I was recommending larger than 2000 for sure if you're going multi day. Good luck

Hey Lawnboy...thanks for the info...your post brought up some good points. The Sitka pack comes with a rainfly which is a nice feature, particularly if there isn't room in the tent on vestibule and it has to hang outside where it may frost or dew.

I think you'd be happy with either honestly. I just got my Bivy 45 in the mail and it's nice. I didn't pay full price either from High Mountain Outfitters, but that's not an issue here anyway. It's very quiet and seems far more like a smaller pack then a larger 4500 cu in model. My other pack is an Eberlestock Dragonfly that wieghs in well over 9 lbs, so I needed something lighter. The Sitka is the ticket with very soft pockets for optics, etc. The bottom of the pack is easily accessbile for your sleeping bag as well. That said, there is no doubt whatsoever that Mystery Ranch has a great product as well. Anything the Special Operators (Army, Air Force, Contractor, whatever) are using overseas does not disappoint. In the end, the Mystery Ranch would probably be more rugged and last a little longer. The other side of the coin, they are packs not full size diesel pickups. If you're not happy sell it on ebay, buy the other and be glad you got to try both. Personal opinion of course. Another idea is to send Mark Seacat a message....that dude has used everything under the sun of course he's going to be partial to Mystery Ranch being an employee and all.

Last edited:
My main question now is for those that have used the Bivy 45 or similar packs how do they handle the extra load meat adds?

Calvin do you like yours?

If you look at my picture, you will see a broken shoulder strap. Not for heavy loads.

Thanks for the responses!

Calvin- Sorry...with spring bear less than 2 months away I was too busy scoping out the noggin of that bear than the pack...I hope Sitka made that right for you!

remington79- Thats a great link! Good comparison and the inside of that MR pack looks great.

I will be in Bozeman during the next month...I will have to stop in and put my hands on what they have to offer!

I borrowed a Sitka Bivy 40 for a backpack hunt last year. It carried the gear well but became slightly uncomfortable on the shoulders. The waiste belt synch straps do not grip very well and the load tends to gravitate to your shoulders.

I bought a Sitka Bivy 30 for my day hunts. One hunt I carried a bear hide and half a deer out in one trip. Same issue, the waist belt would not stay tight and my shoulders carried the weight. Very uncomfortable. However, i would say i was impressed that the pack still looks like new. None of the stitching looks to be stressed and the material was not scarred while crawling through brush and rocks on the pack out.

I know I like my Bighorn. The load lifters on it work great. They really take the load off of your shoulders and snug the pack up to you. I've only had about 40-45 pounds in mine so far and the suspension of the Bighorn just makes the weight disappear. Between that and the construction and customer service makes the price of the packs worth it for me. I like the Bighorn because it's a good size to use as a day pack and in warmer weather makes for a good 3 day pack.

Last edited:
The way that the shoulder strap ripped out on that Sitka pack is very disappointing. Why put a meat shelf if you can't trust it to haul meat? I'm thinking elk quarters and that definately rivels a bear hide and meat!

I'm going to stop into MR and check out what they have to offer...really get "hands on" and see which fits my style of hunting the best. I go ultralight and purchase very compact gear...soooo a Crew Cab might work...

My prediction is I will purchase a MR pack with NICE Frame and then next year purchase another pack (just the pack portion). How am I going to find the money for out-of-state tags lol.

Thanks Everyone!

I bought the SG 45 when it first came out... I LOVED the design, how it compacted down, all the cool little features, pockets and fancy stuff. Very comfortable. I packed in about 65# of gear very comfortably with it, then hunted out of camp with it and 15-20# a day for about 6 days. Loved it...

Then my buddy killed a bull and I loaded the pack with about 80# of meat... I carried it about 1 mile... it was ok....nothing to complain about. Then I grabbed a shoulder strap to put the pack on again for the remaining 3 1/2 miles, and it ripped away from the pack..... we jerry rigged it back on to make it workable.... I washed it when I got home and sent it back to Sitka. they sent me a brand new pack, which I sold for new price....

Now I am using the MR Crew Cab....end of story.... :0)

You have the load cells so you can put your gear in them when you have to pack stuff out...I just hook mine to the outside of my pack. they have clips on them...it works great and keeps stuff dry!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back