Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Louisiana Man

Goat358

Hard to believe but I'm soon to be 56yrs old. I'm the youngest son of a life long Free Methodist Pastor and godly mother. I've been happily married for 32years with two adult children who have made me a very happy daddy. I've been a plumber, part time pastor, oilfield roust about, equipment operator, field editor for a regional outdoor magazine, a failed life insurance salesman, a full time pastor, a licensed plumber, a class 4 water systems operator, and currently a disabled worker.
I mostly love to deer hunt but formerly enjoyed hunting rabbits and squirrels when younger and turkeys when I had a place to hunt them. My love of guns sprang from the love of the hunt but has a life all its own now making me a certified gun nut and self proclaimed rifle loony!
I love to hunt whitetail around the edges of thickets and along the creek bottoms of Central Louisiana where I grew up. I've enjoyed some very good places to hunt through the years but now hunt just a small tract where deer are scarce and almost totally nocturnal and are the hardest to hunt that I have ever known. None the less I still love to pull out my Marlins each Fall and hunt those aggravating deer. Those Marlins may not be the best firearms I own but they certainly rate as some of my favorites. This year I hunted more with my left handed Browning Micro Hunter in 7mm-08. It sports a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x. This might be the best rifle/scope combination for all my hunting but there is always the chance that there may be something better so I must ever continue my quest. One such rifle is my JES rebored Marlin/Glenfield 30/30 to 356Winchester. I know it will not do anything my BLR in 358Win can't do except it will feel like a Marlin while doing it! Perhaps I should just hunt more with my M-375 Marlin more and I wouldn't need the other two if I just woke up with my favorite Marlin in hand, my plain Jane 336 Regular Carbine in 35Remington. With my hand load it's pushing the 200gr core-lokts at 2200fps. But what about my 1895in 45/70? Can't it clobber anything that I'll ever hunt? And what about those bullets I was going to cast and shoot in some of these and other Marlins??? I think you'll see that I am a certified rifle loony. Just wait and see...

Welcome and please share some good Cajun recipes with us, Creole too !!

Welcome and please share some good Cajun recipes with us, Creole too !!

He said he's from Central LA, probably not cajun, might as well be a Yankee! 😁

(I also grew up in Central/NW Louisiana, so also not cajun. Most people in the state are good cooks, even if they ain't Cajun)

And welcome to Goat358 from New Mexico, which also has good cooking.

Welcome from Kentucky! Was just in natchitoches during Christmas. Y'all in Louisiana sure know how to cook. Can't wait to get back down there maybe this time I can squeeze in a gator hunt!

Welcome from NM and thanks for the great info. The bar is high to be considered a gun nut on this forum.

Hard to believe but I'm soon to be 56yrs old. I'm the youngest son of a life long Free Methodist Pastor and godly mother. I've been happily married for 32years with two adult children who have made me a very happy daddy. I've been a plumber, part time pastor, oilfield roust about, equipment operator, field editor for a regional outdoor magazine, a failed life insurance salesman, a full time pastor, a licensed plumber, a class 4 water systems operator, and currently a disabled worker.
I mostly love to deer hunt but formerly enjoyed hunting rabbits and squirrels when younger and turkeys when I had a place to hunt them. My love of guns sprang from the love of the hunt but has a life all its own now making me a certified gun nut and self proclaimed rifle loony!
I love to hunt whitetail around the edges of thickets and along the creek bottoms of Central Louisiana where I grew up. I've enjoyed some very good places to hunt through the years but now hunt just a small tract where deer are scarce and almost totally nocturnal and are the hardest to hunt that I have ever known. None the less I still love to pull out my Marlins each Fall and hunt those aggravating deer. Those Marlins may not be the best firearms I own but they certainly rate as some of my favorites. This year I hunted more with my left handed Browning Micro Hunter in 7mm-08. It sports a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x. This might be the best rifle/scope combination for all my hunting but there is always the chance that there may be something better so I must ever continue my quest. One such rifle is my JES rebored Marlin/Glenfield 30/30 to 356Winchester. I know it will not do anything my BLR in 358Win can't do except it will feel like a Marlin while doing it! Perhaps I should just hunt more with my M-375 Marlin more and I wouldn't need the other two if I just woke up with my favorite Marlin in hand, my plain Jane 336 Regular Carbine in 35Remington. With my hand load it's pushing the 200gr core-lokts at 2200fps. But what about my 1895in 45/70? Can't it clobber anything that I'll ever hunt? And what about those bullets I was going to cast and shoot in some of these and other Marlins??? I think you'll see that I am a certified rifle loony. Just wait and see...
What part of Louisiana are you from, I have great friends near Tullos

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back