My sons first big game animal

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18333

With school, football and hockey there just isn't much time in my sons schedule to get out and hunt. Who knew a 12 yr olds schedule could be so busy? But on Friday all other events were off so we headed for the hills of Central Wyo. We made it to the unit about 11:30 pm on Thursday and caught some sleep in the truck. We woke up Friday morning to thick fog that lasted until about 10:30 am. During the wait we bumped into several tiny bucks, all of which he very badly wanted to take. After the fog lifted we found a nice buck that he really wanted to hunt. It was working a large herd of does that was being tended by a smaller but more aggressive buck. Every time the target buck would work into the herd the other buck would run him off. We watched this happen about 4 times and eventually found an escape area the buck liked to retreat to. On the fifth attempt, we snuck into position and after getting run off by the other buck the target buck worked towards us just as planned. The buck stopped at 200 yds with his head straight out sniffing the wind. I told him to hold just behind the shoulder at about eye-level and squeeze one off. At the shot the buck dropped in his tracks and my son had taken his first big game animal.
IMG_1907.jpg

After getting to the buck it was obvious that he had shot the buck in the eye. I asked my son where he was aiming and he said "the eye, just like you told me to". So I guess that ones on me for not being more clear. He said he thought it was strange that I wanted him to shoot it in the eye given that I had always told him we didn't take headshots but he didn't want to question it in the moment. Lesson learned for both of us I suppose.

I had always been told it is so much more rewarding to see your kids take animals and I would have to agree. Even though it was a short hunt it was a great time. Now on to deer and elk.

You got me laughing pretty hard. I am glad it worked out. Good shot, son!

Spot on shooting by your son and even better listening! Neither of you will ever forget that hunt. Good luck the remainder of the season.

Congrats. I had similar exchanges with my Dad on shot placement, still laughing about it. Nice work.

Congrats to your son and you on his first big game. The young man can shoot, an eye isn't much of a target at 200 yards.

I will be the one to say it.....your son is officially Ol Dead Eye from here on out!!!!! Let everybody know!!!

Back