My new, still-in-the-box .280 AI.

CPO loves the AI in his Kimber. Given the cost and difficulty of finding the rounds vs my 06 I would say that while functional it hasn't really impressed me.

You having a gunsmith chamber or buying a prechambered barrel?
Planning to buy a Rem/Age barrel, probably Criterion. I have most of the tools to install it myself. That's really what I wanted to do since I got interested in a build. Little by little, I've ordered things as I had the money. I have a barrel vise, an action wrench, a Timney trigger and a box full of the metal and hardware for the magazine and trigger guard. I have a pilar bedded Hogue Overmolded stock I'm going to drop it all into for now, but will likely look to change that out at some point.

Brian
Is that an RR action? If so they are normally pretty true but almost all of them have little to no primary extraction but Dan at accutig is great to help fix that if you wanted to.
I’d use a good aftermarket recoil lug and you should be good to go.

The AI version is a little faster, but for all practical purposes it is not significantly better than the regular 280 R. The AI is somewhere between the 7 RM and the 280 R in all thing such as velocity, powder requirements, and barrel life. Whatever floats your boat is the best choice.

That's part of the quandary. I already have .280 Rem dies and a bunch of brass, so I'm kinda leaning that way.

You should probably go with the AI. It was your first choice and title of the thread. Although you'll be just as happy with the 280 Rem, you'll probably always have that feeling in the back of your mind that you settled. The cost of new dies and brass is minor when it comes to the "Dream Rifle". Go whole hog and don't look back...

Good luck on your build.

Yeah, you have the wrong bolt.
And action.
Lazzeroni uses way high pressures. Upwards of 70,000.
They recommend only Lazzeroni actions, or Savage large shank.

I have (2) 280 Rems. Would love to AI one of them. But don't want the added expense of setting the barrel back.

Good luck on the build!
Keep us posted!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back