Caribou Gear

My new, still-in-the-box .280 AI.

Yeah, you have the wrong bolt.
And action.
Lazzeroni uses way high pressures. Upwards of 70,000.
They recommend only Lazzeroni actions, or Savage large shank.

I have (2) 280 Rems. Would love to AI one of them. But don't want the added expense of setting the barrel back.

Good luck on the build!
Keep us posted!
A Remington 700 will handle any pressure your cases will handle and then some. Lazzeroni just wants to sell you an action.

Savage designed the large shank for Lazzeroni testing.
While testing their Patriot they ran it up to 120,000 psi before the chamber permanently disformed. The receiver & locking lugs still functioned.

When Lazzeroni says "use this" i'll stick with that!
Savage does not make actions for Lazzeroni.

Leaning toward a 26" standard sporter contour with a 1:9 twist. I want to push 150-160 grn bullets around 2900fps. I think I'd be very happy with that.
My Mauser in 284 Win is wearing a 1.5 contour 24" barrel is pushing the 150gr ABLR just under 2,900 fps with Hunter.

QL is predicting right at 56,000 psi, so not too warm.
Either the 280 Rem, or 280AI should do that comfortably.
I haven't run the ABLR over the chrono yet in either of my 280 Rems. One 22" barrel, one 24" barrel.

Savage designed the large shank for Lazzeroni testing.
While testing their Patriot they ran it up to 120,000 psi before the chamber permanently disformed. The receiver & locking lugs still functioned.

When Lazzeroni says "use this" i'll stick with that!
Savage does not make actions for Lazzeroni.

You do realize that 120,000psi is a lot more than 70,000psi right?

There were almost certainly piercing primers and blowing primer pockets long before 120ksi.

Wonder if that Savage action is the same one coming apart chambered in .300 RUM. mtmuley

Leaning toward a 26" standard sporter contour with a 1:9 twist. I want to push 150-160 grn bullets around 2900fps. I think I'd be very happy with that.
Brian: I am getting 2925 fps out of two standard Rem 280s with 26" barrels. This is with 160 gr Accubonds.
My 140 gr accubonds are running 3040 fps out of the same two rifles. Both rifles shoot 1/2" consistently.
I too have a longing for an Ackley... but can't justify it with the performance I am getting with the standard chambering. Eventually I will probably succumb, just because the .280 ai is just plain cool... and then I'll kick myself for spending the money on the Ackley.

I had a Remington Model 700 MTN rifle in 280 and loved that rifle. It shot great and killed a lot of critters. I wanted a 24" barrel and not the 22" the MTN rifle comes with. I also was kind of leaning towards a controlled round feed action like a Winchester or Ruger for a new 280. I ended up finding a Model 70 Classic sporter and had it custom made into a 280AI with a 24" barrel. Love that rifle. This is how they chronographed for me.

Remington 700 - 22" barrel
140 grain Nosler Partition using IMR4350 - 2940 fps

Winchester Model 70 - 24" Shilen barrel
140 gr. Nosler Partition - IMR7828SSC - 3230 fps
140 gr. Nosler Accubond - IMR7828SSC - 3186 fps

Last edited:
Sorry. It's going to take a minute. I have to spend a couple months squirrelling away some $ for the barrel. It's a pay-as-you-go project. 👍
I have two AI's and like them a lot ,very accurate. I have been running 145 barnes as well as 131 hammers . Have ran them up to 3200 . Last three animals one shot kill's ,bull at 325 and two bucks at 428.

Any recommendations for the recoil out? There seem to be some differences available, different thicknesses and such. I'm assuming a thickness of .312" is preferable to .250" for instance.

Last edited:
Well I took the plunge this morning and ordered a 26" stainless bead-blasted Criterion rem/age barrel chambered for .280 AI. 1 in 9" twist. My wife knows me better than I know myself. I went back and forth on whether to go 280 AI or 280 Remington. Holly pointed out that I really want the increased performance with AI version, but seemed like I was settling for the other because I already have dies and brass for 280 Rem and it would just be easier. I've been patient so far in buying good components as I have $, so I decided I should continue that attitude and go with the .280 AI.

I'll let you guys know and post pics when I get it a put together. I still need headspace gauges and an alignment tool for the recoil lug ( not sure what that's called) but that's it. 👍

Any recommendations for the recoil out? There seem to be some differences available, different thicknesses and such. I'm assuming a thickness of .312" is preferable to .250" for instance.
.250" thickness recoil lug will be totally adequate, you could even go .187" (which is factory Rem 700 thickness). You just need it to not bend when you fire the rifle. The recoil lug transfers the recoil from the barreled action to the stock, then to your shoulder. No way you're going to bend a .250" thick piece of metal with a 280 Rem and your shoulder, as your shoulder moves back with recoil.

Fire a 50 BMG with the stock against a brick wall, so all the force must be absorbed by the recoil lug and stock and yes, you may bend a thin lug or break the stock.

Well I took the plunge this morning and ordered a 26" stainless bead-blasted Criterion rem/age barrel chambered for .280 AI. 1 in 9" twist. My wife knows me better than I know myself. I went back and forth on whether to go 280 AI or 280 Remington. Holly pointed out that I really want the increased performance with AI version, but seemed like I was settling for the other because I already have dies and brass for 280 Rem and it would just be easier. I've been patient so far in buying good components as I have $, so I decided I should continue that attitude and go with the .280 AI.

I'll let you guys know and post pics when I get it a put together. I still need headspace gauges and an alignment tool for the recoil lug ( not sure what that's called) but that's it. 👍
This is a really cool project. Would you mind posting a list of the tools/parts you're using? This is something I've been wanting to try myself.

This is a really cool project. Would you mind posting a list of the tools/parts you're using? This is something I've been wanting to try myself.
Im kind of messing around on a con call at work right now. Tonight or tomorrow, I'll look through my tools and parts for this project and post them.

Nice choice! Maybe there are some sales for McMillan or Mesa Precision and you can get a nice stock.

Back